Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 10-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
ninajb
Registered

windows 98?

Will this run on Windows 98se? All I get is operating system not supported.
ninajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
ninajb
Registered

windows 98 & Beta 3

Will it not work on Windows 98se? All I get is operating system not supported.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Unfortunately MA3 uses DirectX8 and DirectX9 functions and Microsoft hasn't made DX9 for anything older than Windows 2000.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Unfortunately MA3 uses DirectX 8 and 9 functions instead of DX6 which previous versions were built on. Microsoft chose to only support Windows 2000 and newer OS with DirectX9.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I reluctantly switched from Windows 98 to 2000 and found it to be a fantastic upgrade. All the myths that Windows 2000 won't run games are largely nonsense. The only games it won't run are pure DOS games and there are DOS emulators that get around that problem.

I'm running XP now and have been for 2 years, but I still think 2000 is the best OS Microsoft ever released. I really had to try VERY hard to get 2000 to lock up. I can get XP to kernel panic without too much difficulty. Under even the worst circumstances, when 2-3 programs were going crazy, I was still able to Ctrl-Alt-Del and sort out the mess under 2000. My longest uptime on Windows 2000 without rebooting was 7 weeks.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
igohigh
Registered

Win2Kpro

Another thing ye may not want to hear be that many older computers from the old Win98 days may not have a mother board capable of going to WinXP or higher. As in mine, Win2K with a PIII cpu and 768meg of Ram is highest I can go (only a 100mb front end buss) so without replacing the mother board ye may find yerself hitting a ceiling without a complete upgrade...for me that is not an option at the moment with today's economy.

But as feldon32 stated, Win2K is a VAST improvement over Win98(se) any day! WinXP is great too but Vista I still am not convinced about, still hearing too many stories.

As for Win2KPro (with all window's updates) and just a PIII 850mz with 768meg Ram and an nVida TNT Rivia 2 64 video card: I get the trails on the background mentioned in another thread about laptops, I think I have the most recent video driver (have to go look).

So as far as upgrading yer current PC, check for the type of video card ye have onboard, check yer front end buss, and check yer mother board's capability for XP....ye may be like me and getting rapidly left behind without considering a whole new system...
Vultures take the easy prey,
Hunters take the prize!
~The Jolly Rogers
igohigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Vista is complete rubbish IMO.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by feldon32:
Vista is complete rubbish IMO.  
YMMV

Old 10-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
Socrates
Sage

I have yet to find a DOS program (even some custom ones with strange video drivers) that I could not get to run on a nt relative with a few tricks and and a little patience. Even on Vista.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
Socrates
Sage

And back on topic. 98 is not and has not been supported by Microsoft in a long time.

You really should consider switching. For security reasons alone.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #11
ninajb
Registered

I don't think a newer windows would work on my computer. It is only 400 megahertz with a 6 Gigabyte hard drive.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #12
Socrates
Sage

Yeah, it's definitely time for an upgrade. That hard drive is living on borrowed time probably.

On the other hand, they just yesterday remotely fired up the backup computer on the Hubbel telescope. The backup happens to be an 18 year old 486!!!
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows