Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-26-2001, 02:20 PM   #1
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

GeForce2 MX

I'm thinking about getting this card as a temporary upgrade (to replace my existing TNT1), at least until I can move up to a 1Ghz system with a GeForce2 GTS or something to that effect.

I would just like to know how much better it is when compared to my TNT1. Anyone have one? Do you like it? Is it worth the price? Does it have any issues/problems? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 03:00 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: GeForce2 MX

TnT Riva 2 is faster than TnT Riva 1
GeForce 1 is faster than TnT Riva 2
GeForce 2 is faster than GeForce 1

So you're already talking about jumping 3 generations.

GeForce 2 MX is simply the slowest GeForce 2 you can get, and only really slows down on the big games. You might want to check the comparisons between all the GeForce 2's at:

www.tomshardware.com/

I'm waiting to see if running the next version of the Aquarium in 24-32 bit color will resolve the slight banding issues. If it does, I'm even happier, and will probably stick with my TnT Riva 1 for a while longer. It plays Quake 3 and Monkey Island 4. What more do I need?

I would like to see some FPS postings for the GeForce 2 MX. If you use the equation I used above, it SHOULD be 4 times as fast, giving 100fps or so at 1024x768.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 09:00 PM   #3
MegaHertz
Registered

DL

The MX is a great card for the price. I currently am running mine at 1152x864 (over clocked of course 220 Mhz core 180 Mhz Memory) and get 125 fps with all 7 fish. Just an all around great card and you will see the improvements!!

P.S. I currently have none of the banding issues others have mentioned.
Hello...Welcome to the Police 9-1-1 Hotline..." If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you are codependant, ask someone to press 2. If you are a multiple personality, press 3, 4, 5, and 6. If you are paranoid, we know who you are and we are tracing this call. If you are schizophrenic, a little voice will tell you what to do. If you are depressed, it doesn't matter which # you push it will be wrong anyway.
MegaHertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 09:46 PM   #4
asprague
Regal Angel

What is the price?
asprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 10:48 PM   #5
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

asprague,
Checking on Pricewatch the 64MB version starts at $ 133.00 and the 32MB version starts at $ 69.00
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 11:10 PM   #6
Shinsa
Registered

re: MX

Interesting. I just got my Voodoo5 5500 for $119. 64MB ram, 130 fps 1280x1024
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 03-27-2001, 01:05 AM   #7
Nut110
Registered

Hi
I'm using Radeon LE + Enable HyperZ no o/c, waiting for SS 32 bit mode. It claims that this Radeon has only small difference fps between 16 and 32 bit.
The price is as the same level as GeForce2MX.
Nut110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 05:02 AM   #8
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Thanks for the input Morgan (and everyone else!). It's true Morgan, the TNT1 is fine for the most part, but the type of games I play and the level of fps/resolution I would like to see the aquarium run at are not possible on the TNT.

Right now I run the aquarium in 800x600 with around 75fps which is ideal speed as far as I am concerned, but not the res I would like to run it at which is 1024x768. Since you and I have virtually identical systems, you know what we get at 1024x768, roughly 42fps. To me it's just not smooth enough, still seems a bit slower than I like to see. I do have dual Voodoo 2's running in SLI which will generate next gen fps, but not the features that most current games need, so even though the next version of the aquarium will run very fast for me, I still need the extra features.

As for games, well I've been playing Tribes since it first came out and I'm looking forward to Tribes 2 which is coming out very soon and I can almost gaurantee you it wont run too well on the TNT1 since it's likely to make use of the next gen features found in the GeForce line of cards.

As I said, this is just a temporary fix until I can afford a new system in maybe a year. Until then a video upgrade is just fine since I've still got a system with enough power to handle most current apps.

Anyway, one more question, can anyone tell me about the GeForce 2 DDR (not GTS)? Is it still around or has it been replaced by the MX or another model? I was using one at my previous job and thought it was a really nice card, but I'm sure it's been sidelined by a newer model.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Old 03-27-2001, 11:25 AM   #9
hooters
Percula Clown

Re: GeForce2 MX reviews

www.sharkyextreme.com/har...ladiac_mx/ =ELSA GLADIAC GeForce2 MX Review

www.sharkyextreme.com/har..._v7100_mx/ =ASUS AGP-V7100 GeForce2 MX Review

www.sharkyextreme.com/har..._32mb_ddr/ =ATI RADEON VE 32MB DDR Review

www.sharkyextreme.com/har...deon_32mb/ =ATI All In Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR

www.sharkyextreme.com/har...out_10-00/ =Sharky's Super High End 3D Card Shootout

www.sharkyextreme.com/har...3_preview/ =NVIDIA GeForce3 Preview

www.sharkyextreme.com/har...fx_v5_pci/ =3dfx Voodoo5 5500 PCI Review

www.sharkyextreme.com/har..._geforce2/ = main page of al the reviews cars are located on the left column of the page

well im off to test out some card with the Aquarium
have a nice day all
~RELAXATION IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT~
hooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 11:32 AM   #10
hooters
Percula Clown

Re: GeForce2 DDR mem riteup

www.guru3d.com/review/els...a/=GeForce 2 / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / and the DDR

active-hardware.com/engli.../v7700.htm
=Asus V7700 Deluxe GeForce 2 GTS
32Mb DDR graphic card
Old 03-27-2001, 12:50 PM   #11
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

If you are looking for an temporary upgrade for just a year until you can get a new card, then try to dig up and TNT2 Ultra. My friend had one on a 650 Athlon computer and got 80-85 FPS at 1024x768 with vsync off.

If you can spend a little more money, $150.00, then you might want to look into the Kyro II.
www.anandtech.com/printar...tml?i=1435

The MX is definitely a good card and Morgan is right about the performance. You will only see a hit in performance when playing the big games.

The only way to get a GeForce 2 DDR(not GTS)is to buy a used one. I don't know of anybody who has one for sell.

I could send you my CL 3DBlaster Banshee AGP 16MB SDRAM, LOL.

Frank
home.pacbell.net/gamete/index.html
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 04:05 PM   #12
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Thanks for the links guys, I really appreciate it. However, I was actually looking for input and personal experiences more than anything else. Reviews are great if you want one person's take on it, but I trust the masses and what they actually experience (good, bad, etc).

Don't get me wrong, there are some really good sites out there that have great reviews like Tom's Hardware and I frequent those places from time to time, but what I get out of user input and personal experiences is far more valuable because of the broader range of apps and associated hardware being used.

Reviews are unfortunately limited to one person's take on the hardware's performance. I know I can go to several sites and check multiple reviews, but it's not as personal and time tested as what the end user goes through on a daily basis.

Anyway, that aside, can anyone tell me if the DDR is the same as the MX, below it or? What was it replaced by?

Thanks again!

- DL
Steve
Old 03-27-2001, 07:57 PM   #13
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Well, my personal experience is to tell you that since you're going to upgrade to a faster computer in a year then I would get a TNT2 Ultra. Anything else would be a waste of money for you. Of course that only applies if you have a PIII 500 and above otherwise I could see why you would want a GPU.

When you say GeForce2(not GTS), do you mean the second GeForce that came with DDR instead of SDRAM? If this is the case then the GeForce Pro(not the GeForce2 Pro)will be faster than the MX version.

Maybe, I can sell you my GeForce2 GTS DDR 32MB in a year.

Frank
My Home
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 05:59 AM   #14

GeForce2 MX Vs TNT2 Ultra

A Cardex TNT2 Ultra costs more than a Cardex GeForce2 MX in my country. Don't know if this is the case for other brands as well as for other countries...
Old 03-28-2001, 06:09 AM   #15
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

"When you say GeForce2(not GTS), do you mean the second GeForce that came with DDR instead of SDRAM?"

All I remember is the box saying GeForce 2 DDR, nothing on it said anything about a GeForce, or GeForce2 GTS, etc.

"Maybe, I can sell you my GeForce2 GTS DDR 32MB in a year."

Nice try, but no thanks.

- DL
Steve
Old 03-28-2001, 08:38 AM   #16
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

DL,
Here goes:
GF1 $ 63.00
GF2 MX 32MB $ 69.00
GF2 MX 64MB $ 133.00
GF2 GTS 32MB $ 134.00
GF2 GTS 64MB $ 199.00
GF2 PRO 64MB $ 229.00
GF2 Ultra 64MB $ 328.00
GF3 64MB $ 529.00
GF3 Ultra 128MB $ 700.00 - 800.00 ???

The last one is an unknown at this point. All I have actually seen are unconfirmed rumors. But it wouldn't supprise me. The Quadro costs over $ 1000.00 As far as actual use I tried a GF2 Pro for about 2 weeks ( The timeframe that CompUSA gives you before you are stuck with it no matter what ) Basically the card ran well for me. I stay set at a high res. I run 1600x1200x32 on a 19" Monitor. ( I hate scrolling to read something ) and at that res I got about 130-140 FPS. I didn't find any color issues or banding problems in the card. The only reason I took it back was because I learned of the GF3 during that time and am planning to get one of those instead. The one I tried was a Creative Labs Annhilator 2. But from what I hear CL is going to quit making video cards using nvidia chips because nvidia says they are going to start making sound cards. So if thats true it is something to consider as far as support goes in your choice. As far as the GeForce cards go, about any of them would be ok. They all do a great job within their own respective price ranges. Thats why Nvidia is now at the top of the pile. If you want more info on exactly what each card can do, go to nvidia.com and you can find all the specs you want.

My best advice is to listen to everyones opinions and then go do what ever you want. Its your money and you are the one who has to live with your choice. It doesn't matter if you get a mid-level card now and a better one with a new system later, or a great one now and plug it into your new system later, if you are happy with it thats good enough no matter what you choose.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:04 AM   #17
asprague
Regal Angel

Jav400,

Thank you very much for the specific dollar amounts. That is most helpful!!!! Thanks too for your wise observation: "My best advice is to listen to everyones opinions and then go do what ever you want."

Arnold
asprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 01:07 PM   #18
hooters
Percula Clown

well i tested the Geforce2MX with the aquarium and need for speed and tombraider and messiah
as far as the tank goes - the Purple Tang prob, looked 2% better then my ati All in wonder 32MBand 16MB cards
the frame rate was much better
mine runs at 1024x768 @68-71 fps
Gforce2MX runs it at 1024x768 @99-101 fps
the powder blue tang looks better but the Purple Tang still has a lot of ick just not as noticeable but its still there and plain to see
as far as my lines go its all the same as on 3 diffrent monitors ive tested - ive fixed my drivers and mltimedia centre and there way less noticable now - but what i can see is evident on all the other monitors ive tested
in all applications Its not the Tank
*this is the cards info that i tested -NVIDIA Geforce2MX
Main driver nvdisp.drv verion 4.12.01.0063
(99-101FPS at 1024x768 on the tank)

as for the games not sure about frame rates but my ati looked just as good no matter what i did with the gforce settings the frame rate judging from the tank caompared to my ATI is more then likely better as well as it is with the tank but 45-50some is fine for games with me and the tank at 100fps didnt look anymore smoother then my 70fps does

bottom line is the Purple tang still has the blochy /banding /ick , but its a little better then the ATI's ick
Old 03-31-2001, 09:27 PM   #19
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your comments! You've all been most helpful and I think I will end up getting the MX, I'll just overclock it to suit my higher fps needs for gaming. Now it's just a matter of finding out which brand is the best one to get, Elsa I trust, I'll look into it.

- DL
Steve
Old 03-31-2001, 10:48 PM   #20
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

DL,
If you are looking to overclock your card get one with the fastest ram you can find. The faster the ram the more that you can push it before it locks. AsusTek also makes good stuff set up so you can accomplish this. Go to www.pricewatch.com and you can find what you want for the least money. If you choose Asus, the "pure" versions have only a monitor out plug. the "Deluxe" versions usually come with a Video In, TV out, and a pair of 3d glasses to boot.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive