Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 04-12-2003, 05:05 PM   #701
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Jim,

I know that you have no current plans to add background images behind the coral for the MA, but I'd like to offer an idea that has the potential to add some life to the existing static background without having to add an image.

Would it be possible (if it's not too much trouble) to have it so that the existing light caustics -

A) Affect the static background in such a way as to make the color waver

or

B) Have it reflect in the same way it currently does on the coral

Either of the above ideas would offer a subtle change, but an effective one. Personally, I like the "A" idea because it has the potential to add depth to the background, almost making it look like as if there is no background, just deep blue sea (color depends on current light setting of course). What do you think?
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 06:57 PM   #702
Wizwad
Only me...

Personally I think "A," and giving a greater impression of depth, is a great idea: part of the reason I like the aquarium so much is the impression it gives of displaying a tiny window into a much larger world. Makes it that much less claustrophobic, which is a problem SimAquarium (for example) can have with that surface and too many fish. (That's why Jim not having tank sides or a water surface and only 7 (or 8) fish bothers me not one tiny jot! )

P.S. Many apologies to /Tiny!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 07:37 PM   #703
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

part of the reason I like the aquarium so much is the impression it gives of displaying a tiny window into a much larger world.
That's how I look at it as well, even though Jim's intention is to simulate a reef tank and not an actual reef.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Old 04-15-2003, 08:30 PM   #704
sageinwhite
Registered

I thought this ray was kinda cool "I dont know how to add a pic so heres a link"

sageinwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:41 PM   #705
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

sageinwhite,

Welcome to the forum, and just type {img} and {/img} at the beginning and end of your url, replacing the { with [. I edited your post to show you, hope you don't mind.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 01:53 AM   #706
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

That's one cool ray. Got a species ond/or size on it?

/Tiny Jot
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 07:11 AM   #707
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Working backwards, I found....
http://www.petswarehouse.com/search_...=&CATEGORY=ALL

Fiddler Ray (Australia) Trygonorrhina fasciata

Guess I should work backwards more often.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:55 AM   #708
sageinwhite
Registered

Yeah total thanks for posting the pic thats what I wanted to do but didnt know how to do till you just told so thanks. I think itd be totally awesome to have a ray. What I really wish theyd realease is a Mandarin Gobi I think ive seen them at the pet store hopping among the live rock.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:24 PM   #709
feldon34
Forum Administrator

A Mandarin Gobi really needs its own fish behavior and a new 3D model.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 04-16-2003, 04:32 PM   #710
sageinwhite
Registered

Yeah itd be totally awesome if they could make it.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:12 PM   #711
feldon34
Forum Administrator

They?
Old 04-17-2003, 02:10 AM   #712
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Morgan,
That would be Jim, James D. and Mr. Sachs...

/Tiny They
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:06 PM   #713
sageinwhite
Registered

Oh sorry bout that just used to saying someone who makes something to be a they because it takes someone very taleneted to make something like SereneScreen but I guess in this case itd just be one person. Sorry if there are more people I just got into this so I wasnt sure how many people their were.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:03 AM   #714
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

No worries, Sage. I'm sure Jim takes it as a compliment that you thought it was too good to have been done a one guy. Technically there has been some technical involvement and also Jim "only" did one of the new fish in v2.0 himself.

/Tiny Team

Old 04-18-2003, 07:16 PM   #715
BigScreen
Registered

This is a feature request that I've been thinking about since I first installed v1.0 in December.

If you have the lights set on "Automatic" they change pretty quickly. While I can imagine it wouldn't be very exciting to have a dark fish tank as a screen saver, I would be interested in controlling the speed of the light transitions.

One bothersome thing with many screen savers is that they are so frenetic and unpredictable, that you end up catching them out of the corner of your eye when you're working on something else at your desk. That's one of the things that I like about having an aquarium as a screen saver, very calming motions, nothing wreaking havoc in a frenetic fashion.

Making the lighting transitions go slower would prevent the quick change that happens when it switches from light to dark to light again. I guess the effect I'm looking for would be one if you're right there, you don't notice the change, but if you walk away and come back in a couple of minutes, the aquarium would have changed.

I know this is minor, but if it's possible, it would be nice to have. Maybe a slider or a entry field where you could specify the duration of the transition of light to dark and from dark to light.

As long as I'm suggesting...

Any way we could get the ability to set the minimum light setting for the "Automatic" setting? This way, if the tank is "dark" you could see more than just a silhouette of the fish. In my experimentation, about two arrow clicks up from black was about what I was thinking of.

Lacking these features, I just have my light level set manually, so that's why this isn't a big deal, but this is the suggestions thread...
Scott J.
Publisher of The BigScreen Cinema Guide
BigScreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:14 PM   #716
feldon34
Forum Administrator

This is a great thing to post here:

https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...&threadid=1349
Old 04-18-2003, 09:30 PM   #717
BigScreen
Registered

Will do, sorry for the mis-post.
Scott J.
Publisher of The BigScreen Cinema Guide
BigScreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 10:57 PM   #718
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The new Wishlist is almost here!

Michael has done a LOT of work on this.

No voting just yet, but a ton of new fish and special creatures.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:33 PM   #719
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Jim,

Sooooo, have you considered my proposal regarding the background? Just don't want my post to pass you by unnoticed. Besides, I'm really curious as to what you think about this idea.
Steve
Old 04-19-2003, 08:01 PM   #720
Jim Sachs
Developer

Sorry, Steve - it did pass by unnoticed while I was sick in Maui last week.

Regarding some kind of lightplay on the background, there are two problems:

1. Painting that many pixels would consume a tremendous number of clock cycles.

2. I don't know how to do it.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows