Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 12-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
lcseds
Registered

Can't get it to work

Just bought Marine Aquarium ver 2.5 from the local Apple store. It won't run on my new Intel iMac. I followed the instructions. The standalone program seems to work okay. But, when I slect the screensaver in the screensaver control panel, I get this error:
"You cannot use the screensaver Marineaqaurium2 & time on this computer. Contact developer of this software for a newer version". Newer? This is what the store said was the latest, and it's the version Amazon is selling. Is there a patch? Did I do something wrong? I see on their website they have 2.6 for another $6, but I don't want to pay again for something that seems as though it should work. And of course, it's open so I can't return it. Tell me I'm not out $20 for this.
Thanks.
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Encore who handle the sales of the CD versions got the bright idea to create a bundle of MA2.0 and MA Time and then rename that 2.5. Not very clever IMHO.

Marine Aquarium 2.6 features the beautiful Clearfin Lionfish, with textures 4x as big as previous Marine Aquarium fish, and the Achilles Tang. There are two backgrounds, the original and the Crystal background with the cycling calendar/clock.

Looking at the Mac system requirements here at Encore's web page I can read "G3, 350 MHz or higher (NOTE: Not for Intel processor based Mac systems)" which suggests your iMac won't handle it. I assume the same text is available on the box as well. Depending on what the clerk at your store told you you might be able to get a refund. Otherwise I suggest downloading the trial version of 2.6 from here and see how it works.

/Tiny Bundle
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
lcseds
Registered

Wonderful. I thank you for the reply, but this seems a bit of a ripoff. I can't return the software. The minimum requirements for Mac on the back of the box is where the retailer put the big price sticker. And, it goes without saying the store personnel have no clue. And I shouldn't have to research a screensaver. At the very least, a patch should be provided for compatibilty, and the optional improved features be sold as an "upgrade"
Guess I got weasled out of another $6. Hope that upgrade to 2.6 is valid for us users of 2.0 that we bought ats version 2.5.
As usual, nobody will accept any responsibilty here, and the consumer is left holding the bag.
Sorry for the rant, I'm tired of getting stuck as everyone points fingers elsewhere after I have spent MY money.
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Cool it there. You haven't heard an official reply in three and a half hours and nobody is taking responsibility? Wow...

If the retailer klutzed up with the sticker like that I would think you have enough to make a claim for a refund. I can't imagine a store (or rather its manager) telling you to your face that you should've thought to check online before making the purchase. I mean, typically a newer Mac can emulate older programs so it isn't like you should've known it wasn't going to work.

This forum isn't an "offical" channel to Encore, so if you rather would want a reply from them I suggest sleuthing up an email address and ask them. Be prepared to wait more than three and a half hours though.

Personally I'd go back to the store and ask them for a refund as they sold it with the (unusual) system requirements covered up.

Good Luck!

/Tiny Attempt

P.S.
Who are the ones you mean are "pointing fingers elsewhere"?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I agree with lcseds 100%.

He JUST bought the Aquarium at the Apple store.

Marine Aquarium 2.6 has been available since FEBRUARY 22, 2006.

There is NO REASON why lcseds should have to pay another $5.95 for something he bought last week to run it on an Intel Mac.

It's either Apple's fault for carrying an obsolete product, Encore's product for not making an update available for free, or the blame lies elsewhere.

lcseds,

I would take it back to the Apple store and request that they provide you with the version that works on Intel macs and has been available since February 2006.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive