Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 07-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Un expected installer issues

This has more variables than anyone could hope to sort out.... But for what it is worth.

I installed the current copy on a Windows XP SP2 computer at work. This computer is kind of "the spare" and any employees that do not have a desk / computer get to use this one. Depending on their needs they have access to the a variety of network drives. . So.. there are at least 15 users with varying security rights... Also.. there is a policy NOT to have any screen savers except corporate and the option is not available from desktop properties.

So.. I installed with the installer taking every precaution to keep it installed in my own profile.. When asked where to install it I selected my documents etc...I had been testing the beta just by running the *.scr from my desktop. The installation went well.. picked up the registration serial.. all was good.

Except... it also installed in everyone else's profile AND.. became the default screen saver... in spite of explicitly stating not to make MA3 the default screen saver.

I have since un installed it via the Windows add remove so that I do not create issues at work.. but intend to play some more with the installation process (when I get some private time) to determine if an error on my part led to the global aspect.

For what it is worth...
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

You should try it first using a Windows screensaver that came with the OS to see if installing it or setting it as default screensaver for yourself does not change everyones default screensaver.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Edgar:
You should try it first using a Windows screensaver that came with the OS to see if installing it or setting it as default screensaver for yourself does not change everyones default screensaver.  
The computers at work have all been "adjusted" by our IT department via remote desktop to eliminate all screensavers except the company one. The tab in the "display properties" > screensaver is missing.
I... think... I could hack the registry where this change has been made... however I would be in deep doo-doo if I crashed the system or... even succeeded and re established the ability to run screen savers ( I would be a local hero though....) Company policy is company policy and I respect that (with minor limitations )

The strange thing is and why I mentioned the point is that your installer overrode our IT's best attempts at thwarting this very thing..
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows