Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-13-2002, 11:00 PM   #1
SteveMcD
Registered

Cool will this be corrected in 1.1?

Just a question....

I am not sure if this is "by design" or not but the About Box under the settings control panel does not seem to work. When I click it it just closes the settings panel without displaying the About info...

Now I know what this program is and who by however if the About box is on the settings panel I would think it should work....

Will there be a new settings panel in 1.1?

Thanks.

--Steve
SteveMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 11:31 PM   #2
Socrates
Sage

Somone mentioned in a chat or something that this was going to be fixed in 1.1.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 11:59 PM   #3
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Steve,

Do you mean when you go to Display Properties->ScreenSaver Tab->hit the settings button, then hit the About button?

If so then it is like that by design. The About Window is a child window and the aqaurium is the parent window. If the aqaurium isn't running, then the child window cannot open because it has no parent.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 07:14 PM   #4
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

I asked sort of the same question when I first installed. If I can remember it is (on my system) because the "scr" extension is used by AutoCad. Thus when "about" is clicked it conflicts with what AutoCad is expecting and in essence does nothing. The work-around is to use the "a" key when the program (screen saver) is running. Works for me and is probably easier than trying to get AutoCad to give up the "scr" extension and thus allow the Windows operating system to unfold as it was designed.
Ralph
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 07:44 PM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

This is different from the Autocad .scr issue.

The short answer: When you open up the Aquarium Settings box without the Aquarium running, the About and Help buttons just exit the box.

The long answer: When the Aquarium Settings box is activated by pressing the space bar while the Aquarium is running, the Settings box comes up as a child window. Pressing the About button causes the Settings box to go away, and the About box to take it's place as the child window of the main Aquarium window. If the Settings box is brought up without the Aquarium running, then the Settings box is the only window running in the program, and pressing the About or Help button kills it, but when the last window in a program closes, the program exits. Like hundreds of other issues with the Aquarium, this would take a few days to fix and a few more days to see how many machines start locking up because of the fix, then more programming, testing, etc. There comes a time when you just have to draw the line and ship something before the fans storm the castle.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 07:55 PM   #6
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Maybe you could just make the About and Help buttons invisible if the parent window is not running? Shouldn't be more than a few lines of code.
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 08:20 PM   #7
Jim Sachs
Developer

No such word as "just" around here any more. Every change to the code base invariably breaks something else, and requires a great deal of testing and delays. When the buttons are pressed, the box simply and cleanly exits without even a Blue Screen of Death. That will have to be good enough until the next update.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 02-14-2002 at 08:23 PM.
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive