Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 08-04-2001, 09:35 AM   #61

Version 99L ( No Sound Card )

Version 99L did not work on my Desktop either. So I got a new motherboard ( with built in sound card ). It now works. The things you have to do to keep your fish alive !!
Old 08-04-2001, 02:27 PM   #62
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Version 99L ( No Sound Card )

.99L works without a sound card now.

www.serenescreen.com/Aquarium99L.exe to download beta 2 of 99L
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 05:09 PM   #63

Why have a password?

If alt+tab minimizes the screen saver, why have a password set?
Old 08-05-2001, 06:36 PM   #64
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Why have a password?

You're experencing a bug that Jim spent 2 weeks trying to fix for the release of .99K.

Since people are still reporting ways to get around the password protection, Jim will definately have the issue looked into.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 08-05-2001, 07:25 PM   #65

Re: ** 99L FINAL RELEASE rants, raves, and bug reports here

Jim, I posted this bug earlier but had no response from anyone....I'll try again. My monitor goes into sleep mode and immediatley comes back on again....this continues every 15 minutes (the time I have set up on my power management settings). I am using the 99L version. I have the "disable sleep mode" checked in settings. Any ideas??

HP M70 Monitor
HP 6535 PC
voodoo 4 4500 pci
directX8.0a
128 ram
Old 08-05-2001, 07:42 PM   #66
asprague
Regal Angel

dvtrap,
If you have set your e-mail program to automatically go out and pull down mail, that will turn off your SS. While this may not apply to you, others may have this problem.
asprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 08:16 AM   #67
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

dvtrap,

Does your system do this only when Jim's Screen Saver is running, or with others also? If it is doing this only with his, you could have some glitches in your installation, or in your registry settings. I don't know how you upgrade newer versions, but if you are installing them over the older ones, you could be maintaining the glitch throughout. It is rare for this to happen, but it does occasionally. Try running the registry cleaner available here, and then reinstall the program, but be advised that it has been updated to include the widescreen version also.
www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/help.html
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 10:05 PM   #68

Michael,,,before unzipping the new release of the SS I drag the old one into the recycle bin then I unzip the latest download......IN 99k the sleep mode would kick in and stay that way but I could hear the sound.....
When I run 99L sleep mode kicks in and out every 15 minutes.......

I tried running another SS and after 15 minutes the sleep mode kicks in and stays that way.

Ill try the clean registry thing and see what happens....Ill let you know.........thanks... Dom

OHHH ,,I forgot to mention ,,in an older version of the SS ,,I dont remember what version it was ,I could run it as a program for days and sleep mode would never kick in..
Old 08-06-2001, 10:27 PM   #69
feldon34
Forum Administrator

That's because .99K added support for EnergyStar (sleep mode). But it's still not perfect.

You can ALWAYS tell the screen saver to stop EnergyStar (sleep mode) from coming on by pressing the Space bar and changing the setting on the Settings screen.
Old 08-07-2001, 07:23 AM   #70
strike11
Registered

Minimized screensaver

Out of the middle of nowhere my screensaver is running minimized whenever it comes on - if I click it in my toolbar it enlarges then closes - in settings I have the "always on top" check - isn't that what the option is for - is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
strike11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 07:44 AM   #71
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Re: Minimized screensaver

strike11,

The "always on top" button when checked, will force the aquarium to remain in primary view, "On Top" of any other program that you may run. This is so that If you want to run in windowed mode and still be able to view the aquarium while you are working in Word, Excel, or so on, the aquarium won't disappear from view. But this feature will not keep some other background task from affecting the program depending on how you have your settings checked. There have been many instances listed here of answering machines and so on causing the program to minimize.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 08:18 PM   #72

HI Michael,,,,I tried cleaning the registry and downloading the SS again.....no luck, the monitor still goes into sleep mode and then comes right back on. I guess I'll have to change my power management settings to put the monitor into sleep mode every 2 or 3 hours instead of every 15 minutes. Hopefully this problem will go away in later versions of the SS. thanks for your replies. Dom
Old 08-08-2001, 08:21 AM   #73
strike11
Registered

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation Micheal.

It's no longer doing that...

J
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
strike11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 07:45 AM   #74

Is it possible, that when I turn the bubble sounds off, to be able to hear other programs' sounds, like email notification, chat buddies logging on etc.
Even better if I could hear this stuff over the top of the bubbles, but I understand that while the program is using the sound channels, this might not be possible, but when the sounds are off, can you not release the sound card to go do other things??

Cheers
Old 08-14-2001, 12:11 PM   #75
feldon34
Forum Administrator

This really depends on the sound card and drivers and things like that. Some people have had no problems with the Aquarium dominating the sound card and can hear other sounds fine, while others are reporting the problems you are.

I'm hopeful that version 1.0 will resolve some of these sound issues.
Old 08-14-2001, 04:03 PM   #76
Jim Sachs
Developer

I was hoping that going to DirectSound would eliminate such problems. All I can do is call the DSound functions the way Microsoft instructs. If the card or drivers don't respond they way they are supposed to, there's not much I can do about it.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 06:28 PM   #77

KYRO performance

There have been issues of performance being poor on KYRO II based video cards. The good folk over at the PowerVR Rev forum, (a member named dfua) has found a quick solution.

Enable defer render until flip, and don't show any framerate counter. Enabling the framerate counter drops framerate by almost 95% on KYRO II based systems. Can you guys check it out?

amdhunter,
webmaster, kyroscreens.net
Old 08-18-2001, 06:32 PM   #78
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: KYRO performance

Very interesting. Maybe their text-drawing routines are the bottleneck.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 08:11 PM   #79

2d probs are not uncommon.

Yeah, we've had quite a few issues where 2D overlays cause slowdowns in games, maybe your screensaver is also displaying this prob. I'll keep you updated on this thread.

amdhunter,
amdhunter@kyroscreens.net
Old 08-19-2001, 11:47 AM   #80
Kirby Smith
Registered

99LB2 is great!

99LB2 continues the beautiful work of its predecessors. Love the starfish. Thanks Jim! I can report it works fine started from the program (fish.scr). However, the mouse sensitivity is too great, as Aquarium will stop almost immediately unless mouse is turned off.

Historically, when run as a screen saver on my system, Aquarium apparently breaks devldr32.exe or some connected service causing Windows shutdown to take nearly forever. I will test 99LB2 for this when I have the time to watch over a long shutdown.

kirby

Win2k SP2/ Abit KT-7 RAID/ Athlon TB 800/133 fsb/ AIW Radeon 1024 x 768/ 75 fps
Kirby Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive