Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-18-2003, 11:58 AM   #81
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Darn, I guess I can't put that one smiley with the tommy gun then.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 12:24 PM   #82
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Sounds like a good suggestion to me DL. I am looking at expanding the smilies slightly more, but not alot. I would like to find a few that represent the extreem of certain ones. For instance we have this but I would like to find an animated one that represents jumping for joy happy, a few along those lines are what I am looking for to round things out.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 01:57 PM   #83
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Darn, I guess I can't put that one smiley with the tommy gun then.
Personally, I've got a great sense of humor and while I’m sure the majority of us on the forum would only use them in jest, there are those that would use them in all sincerity. In any case, thanks for understanding guys. Just trying to keep our forum relaxed and casual.

P.S.
Morgan/Jav,

Check my previous post for a new link I added regarding the port hole idea for buttons/links on the forum. Again, don't mind the large scale, I'm thinking button or something sized more appropriately for the forum.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 02:49 PM   #84
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Lemme work on it tonight DL, I will resize it and see what we get.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:11 PM   #85
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Opinions on the new smilies:

– What am I to use this for? Random Coke references?
– Ok, I can see the possibilities for a "Cheers", but isn't this one a bit repetitive/tacky/whatever?
:heart: – Excellent addition! Definate keeper
– Another good one
– I'd thhink drooling was something one did in a positive way, but this little guy looks like it's because of a recent lobotomy or something.
Good idea – not the best execution
– I know it's supposed to be a beret, but it looks more like he's got a hot dog on his head...
– Good, clean simple – animation doesn't automagically make something cooler
– It's an ok smiley
– Yay, he's a cowboy – So?
Great – especially used in a self-efacing way
irate: – Same as the cowboy if it worked. Right now vBullentin thinks I'm trying to use a ": p" smiley...
– No need for this one really
– Can't see myself using it, but some might find it useful.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that there's a reason the regular smilies are just that – they're simple and effective ( <- this guy is the exception to the "simple" rule )

/Tiny Grumpy Turtle

P.S.
To me it would be better if all smilies were the same gradient yellow as this guy ->
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 04:24 PM   #86
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

I'd think drooling was something one did in a positive way, but this little guy looks like it's because of a recent lobotomy or something.
LOL, I got a good laugh out of that one Tiny. Thanks, I needed that.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Old 02-18-2003, 04:37 PM   #87
cjmaddy
Registered

I still like this one, - and a 'Thumbs down' could be useful !
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 06:27 PM   #88
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

DL,

I liked the porthole idea, but unfortunately when you reduced it down to a "Button" size it lost the qualities that made it look like a porthole and ended up just looking pretty much like a small circle.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:49 PM   #89
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Still working on picking smilies, and I have a question for everyone. Since everyone seems to be using/likeing smilies in general, I have found a way to have the smilies show up in the quick reply box ( I think ). I am wondering if anyone thinks this would be a good addition. The quick box is useful, but if you haven't memorized the code for the smilie that you want you have to go the post reply page anyway. Bold or underlined or whatever text is fairly straight foward and easy to remember, so I am not considering that, just the smilies. Any comments?
Old 02-18-2003, 07:36 PM   #90
feldon34
Forum Administrator

re: Tiny's comments on the smilies...

It's certainly your opinion to have that most of the smilies we've added are useless. I am not taking your comments personally. But I do think that each smiley was added because it is quite popular on other forums. Maybe it is an cultural division but all of these have, in my opinion, many uses.

This is a PERFECT smiley for contracts, lawyers, getting screwed by companies, anything involving Microsoft, etc.

I can't use this? *sniff*

Obviously this smiley does not work so well on a dark background. It could be brightened.

Looks like a Beret to me. I figure he's French and/or an artist. Maybe if he had an upturned nose?

I'll fix this one. Could potentially be useful here on this forum in reference to people who pirate the Aquarium.

Whenever something we are hoping for gets dashed, or we're describing how something in our lives has gone badly, I know "down the tubes" is the first thing I think of. I use this one at least a dozen times a month on the DVDFile forum in reference to some of the studio decisions on what to put on a DVD (a commentary with Arnold Schwartzenburger? what does he know about the movie Total Recall?) and omitting other more important stuff (book to movie comparisons and all the hoopla about how violent the film was?).

Please tell me you're kidding, right? With as many arguments as we have here?

There's drooling and then there's drooling. This is how I look when pondering the next version of the Aquarium and/or a hot date.

Aren't all smilies by definition tacky? If you do not want to view smilies, I believe their display can be disabled. Although I haven't used the cheers one myself, it's used most often when there is some kind of discussion that turns away from the path and then comes back and both people reach an understanding. This is the ideal smily for that IMO.

I thought it was beer. Never drank Guiness?

To me it would be better if all smilies were the same gradient yellow as this guy
Respecfully, smilies add color to a topic. The yellow smilies are kinda boring.

from cjmaddy:

I think we'll put this one. That seems to be the most tamely animated one I've seen.

Jav400 asked:

Since everyone seems to be using/likeing smilies in general, I have found a way to have the smilies show up in the quick reply box ( I think ). I am wondering if anyone thinks this would be a good addition. The quick box is useful, but if you haven't memorized the code for the smilie that you want you have to go the post reply page anyway.
Is there any way to add this without turning the Quick Reply box from this:

into this:

?

It's not so much a "quick reply" box when it is loading/animating 30 smilies.

What do you think about a small "Smilies Help" link and while we're at it, "How do I post a link?" and "How do I link to a picture?".

/Tiny Smilies
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 02-18-2003 at 09:18 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:04 PM   #91
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Well since the basic box is more wide than tall I was hoping for a resolution to being able to restructure that one to that format. I knew in advance the loading was going to be an issue, but how much of one is still up for grabs dependant upon if anyone considered it worthwhile to have them there in the first place.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:52 PM   #92
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

I liked the porthole idea, but unfortunately when you reduced it down to a "Button" size it lost the qualities that made it look like a porthole and ended up just looking pretty much like a small circle.
That image was actually just an idea, I guess I should have pointed out that trying to resize it wouldn't work, my mistake. You don't necessarily have to use that specific image, any metal looking, bolt clad, porthole should do fine. In fact, there's actually tons of images (gifs, etc) of portholes available on the net and with thumbnails close to the size you're thinking about. The thumbnails showed up nicely when I did a search on Google using the Images search. Here's a few more links, but these are the non-thumbnail view -

http://members.aol.com/chipscans/porthole.gif

http://members.tripod.com/Porthole/porthole.jpg

http://www.musicport.fsnet.co.uk/por...est%202002.gif

http://www.rosiehardman.com/fsimages/porthole.jpg
Steve

Last edited by Digital Lungfish; 02-18-2003 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:19 PM   #93
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Here's a couple thumbnails -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg portholes.jpg (25.1 KB, 95 views)
Steve
Old 02-19-2003, 07:41 AM   #94
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Morgan,
of course you shouldn't take my comments on the smilies personally – IMHO (and note that's just My) humble opinion), smilies should be used for emphasizing an emotion normally hard to convey through written text (i.e. put a next to something ironic in order for it to not be taken literally). Used in that way, I don't think all smilies are tacky (especially not the "boring" yellow ones).

That Tiny Texan ( ) immediately made me think of you being a (less tiny) Texan, so of course you should use it if you think there's a good place for it. Also, cowboy, argue, artist, drooling and cheer appear to have a little to much space beneath 'em, right now they're hovering a bit above the rest of the line.

Sure we talk about pirating, argue over stuff, mention things that go down the tube and refer to the artist sometimes known as James D. Sachs, but how do you use a smiley like the ? "I think you to shoud stop arguing now " or what? To me (again, note the *me* part) posts look all cluttered up with fifteen blinking smilies jumping all over a post.

I thought it was beer. Never drank Guinness?
Sure I drink Guinness – I'll change my point to "– What am I to use this for? Random Guinness references?"

/Calle
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 08:41 AM   #95
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

DL,

I tried some different ones to see what the effect would be. I came up with about the same thing on every one. I think that the problem for me stems from the fact that I run @ 1600x1200. By the time I get any of them down to what I would consider "button" size, they are so small that you loose the detail that makes them instantly recgonizable as portholes. You might be able to do something with one more towards small window size and keep the effect though.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:22 AM   #96
cjmaddy
Registered

The 'How do I' is a great idea! - Wish they had been there when I started posting!
I've never seen the need for the 'Quick Reply' box, so I can't comment on that one. - I belong to the 'A written opinion, should be a considered opinion' believers. - So I always prepare mine in a text editor ..... (Also, I can't spil )
.... so a spell check is imperative!

I've probably got the wrong end of the stick, about the 'Portholes' - but the thumb nail program I use can maintain detail down to the very smallest image. - With sharpness/brightness/contrast adjusted a little, this is a sample:-
It's Easy Thumbnails v1.5 - it's very quick and easy to use, - and it's free!
(Just found out that v2.53 is now released, - must check it out! )
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 11:49 AM   #97
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Cliff,

I use Photoshop. The detail is there, that's not what I am talking about. To me the example that you posted about looks to be about 1" square at my resolution. Which 1" is still to large to be considered a "Button" to me. I would want a button to be smaller than that, and much smaller you loose the detail of the rivet's and so on and it looks like a plain, although colored, circle. I would consider that to be more a window size. Although we may be missing each other on terminology instead of result.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:33 PM   #98
BobL
Registered

Just my 2p's worth, but is the option of smileys in the "quick reply" box really needed?
If someone wants to add smileys to their post surely typing their message in the "post reply" box is the way they'll do it.
I think you may be expending too much time looking for an unnecessary shortcut?
BobL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 08:44 PM   #99
fishbowl
Cramped Quarters

Michael, I agree with BobL, I think you are wasting too much unneccesary time trying to implement the smilies in the quick reply box. I mean how hard is it for a member of the forum to post a reply instead of a quick reply? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that you were willing to do it, but I just think it is unnecessary & if members want to post smilies they can either post a (regular) reply or rember the shortcut/code to insert smilies in quick reply box. (Michael, this is just my honest opinion, do not get offended.)

PS,
Michael I think your willingness to implement this feature into the quick reply, just goes to show your dedication on how you are willing to go out of your way to make this place a more user friendly environment & overall better place to visit (The same goes for you Morgan).

Keep up the GOOD WORK, guys! The site is starting to look better every day (whether you guys know it or not!)
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 08:49 PM   #100
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I agree with bob and fish. Its a great idea, but the quick reply box should be kept just that. Smileys, quotes, bold text, etc... should be limited to the regular post reply spot. Unless, of course, if they can remember the code.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive