Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-12-2003, 03:36 PM   #41
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

The fish icons for read, unread, participant and so on.
I think the battery back up in my brain needs to be replaced because I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say Jav. Either that or you're actually not making any sense. Please clarify.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 03:43 PM   #42
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Michael, if you're a C&H fan I bet you like Watterson's sound of a fishing-reel (is that the word to use?): GZZZZZZZZZZZ

It's a definate Yea. Needs some sort of legend to explain what the lightbulb means and so, but it's a definate keeper.

/Tiny Lightbulb
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 04:07 PM   #43
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

DL,

Look at the beginning lines of each thread when you get to a forum, before you click on any thread to read it. There are now fish representations at the first of each line to show you if it is a new thread, a new one that you have a post in already, an old thread, or an old one that you have posted in before. The explanation for each fish is located at the bottom of the same page.

PS.

Tiny,

Yeah, Calvin & Hobbs is probably my all time favorite cartoon. Up in the morning, a quick breakfast of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs, and it's off for the day.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 04:23 PM   #44
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
The fish icons for read, unread, participant and so on.

Michael, I really like this feature, thank for implementing it. Now I can more easily to check out the thread that I'm interest in quicker.
Am I notice the Poll thread icon correctly?
I always get confiesed about the Poll threads, wether there's a new reply or only new vote, coz in past, both situation would brings up the Poll thread, and I have to remember the # of replies b4 to distinguish between new reply or new vote.
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 06:23 PM   #45
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Vish asked:

Is this forum designed completely by you? Or you have got a open source and customized it yourself?
This is vBulletin, the best (in my opinion) forum software on Earth. It's also very inexpensive and is all modular PHP + MySQL which is "editable source". You may not release edited versions of the code, but you are welcome and encouraged to make any modifications you wish and describe how to do those modifications at www.vbulletin.org. Some of the best hacks/add-ons to be found there are written BY vBulletin developers!

Although vBulletin is very customizable, you can install it and be up and running with a default board in 45 minutes. Then you start changing graphics, then layout, then eventually you might want to start doing alterations that require going in and changing PHP.

What I am doing here is nothing new. In the case of vBulletin, to improve it, you just have to throw some creative ideas and several hours of free time at the problem.

In a nutshell, the role of the PHP here is to prepare the information for display. Then the templates/HTML (which are external to the PHP files) format that information.

The benefit to this is that in going from, say, version vBulletin 2.0.3 to version 2.2.9 (a massive upgrade) you replace all your old PHP files on the server with the new files and run the upgrade scripts successively. This allows you to stay current with the latest without being prevented from personalizing the board.

Now, if you do end up wanting to do some more advanced modifications, this is where you would start altering the PHP files. The HTML and templates can't display anything that the PHP has not generated. So if you want to display some new information, you have to add some PHP somewhere to generate/fetch that information first!

At first I was leery of altering the PHP because every upgrade, from 2.2.1 to 2.2.2, 2.2.3, 2.2.4, 2.2.5, etc., you are supposed to download fresh copies of the PHP files. Then you need to go through them and make your alterations again and again. But now that I have gotten proficient at PHP, I keep a journal of every change to the PHP files (fortunately, this can be done in big chunks and you can just search-and-replace in most cases).

Despite the ~17 total PHP alterations (a quick, possibly inaccurate count), I was able to upgrade from 2.2.7 to 2.2.9 in about 2 hours. Considering these updates come monthly or less infrequently, it's not a big deal to me.

Some boards do have massive amounts of PHP modifications. In those cases, vBulletin does provide a changelog which you can look through and rather than scrap the PHP files, you can make the same bug fixes to them that the vBulletin developers have.

There are also programs like BeyondCompare which take 2 versions of the same file and annotate the differences in color.

I don't want to scare anyone away. Again, you can be up and running in vB in about 45 minutes and get some personality added to the board in less than 2 hours.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 02-18-2003 at 12:28 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:04 PM   #46
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by Jav400
. . . Up in the morning, a quick breakfast of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs, and it's off for the day.
– Actually they're kinda bland until you scoop some sugar on 'em...

Calvin's called "Kalle" in Sweden, you know.

/Tiny Calle
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:10 PM   #47
MegaHertz
Registered

Jav400,

I never noticed until you mentioned them, that said I do like them.
Hello...Welcome to the Police 9-1-1 Hotline..." If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you are codependant, ask someone to press 2. If you are a multiple personality, press 3, 4, 5, and 6. If you are paranoid, we know who you are and we are tracing this call. If you are schizophrenic, a little voice will tell you what to do. If you are depressed, it doesn't matter which # you push it will be wrong anyway.
MegaHertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 11:46 AM   #48
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Tonight ( if everything works out as planned ) I will be adding some more smilie's to choose from. I am looking for some animation smilie's, nothing lewd of course, and not large one's that would overpower everything. I don't want 453 smilie's for people to have to choose from, but a few more addition's would be nice. If anyone has any that they think would be a good or useful addition, please send me a PM and I'll take a look at them.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:40 PM   #49
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Sorry to beat you to the punch but I went thru and updated some smilies and added more. I also added another hack to the board that lets me manually order the smilies in columns however we want.

So that's pretty much done.

Now that we have the forum close to where I want it, they just came out with version 2.3.0 of vBulletin! *sigh* I'll give you an elapsed time on how long it takes to update.

And don't be surprised to see a long-overdue update to the forum banner/header.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 02-13-2003, 07:08 PM   #50
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Upgrade to 2.3.0 complete.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:04 PM   #51
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Well thats what I get for being slow tonight.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:16 PM   #52
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

This is one of my favorites
Attached Images
File Type: gif smwave7.gif (16.3 KB, 295 views)
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:00 PM   #53
feldon34
Forum Administrator

That would be tough to add because the 3 column system is hard-coded.

If others want to use the smilie that Pat just posted, you can just type:

{img}https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...=&postid=21424{/img}
(replace the { and } with [ and ])

like so:

Old 02-14-2003, 02:18 PM   #54
drfish
the Doc

A little too flashy for me, distracting instead of cute... Kind of like most of these although some of them are pretty neat.
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 07:30 PM   #55
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Those are great drfish! Thanks!
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 09:10 PM   #56
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Pick a few from there and post em here and we can talk about it. We just went from 15 to 27. I think maybe ~36 is good round number?
Old 02-15-2003, 01:54 AM   #57
fishbowl
Cramped Quarters

Morgan, how about this one?

/Tiny Alcoholic ?
Attached Images
File Type: gif beer.gif (1.8 KB, 103 views)
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 03:32 AM   #58
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Added that one yesterday. Interesting avatar.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:21 AM   #59
cjmaddy
Registered

I like this one, I got it from one of Patrick's posts ....

How about a 'Thumbs down' ?

ps. The clock's gone mad again Morgan, +15 mins at the moment!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 05:35 AM   #60
55MHz
Registered

How about this one
those who have pc problems can use it
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-your ad could be here-
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
55MHz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive