Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #21
Jim Sachs
Developer

By 'trouble', I mean customers contacting us asking why their settings are not being saved. Then Morgan having to reply, "Because you've got the Childproof box checkmarked, nitwit." Then the ensuimng flame war. Trouble.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:29 AM   #22
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
All the settings are saved in the Registry. The settings for the logos and music consist of the filepaths to them.  
Not sure how that helps nytiger73, if his son changes the content of those files.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #23
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Just a thought... but in the folder where the logos and music instructions are (mine at) C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\Marine Aquarium 3 are the files MA3Logolist.lst and MA3Playlist.lst When you have a compilation you are happy with.. right click on one of those files.. select copy... then right click someplace else in that folder and select paste.. this will give you Copy of MA3Logolist.lst.
Now when something bad happens... delete the original and rename the copy. Simple and you could make any number of "arrangements".. make a shortcut to your desktop from this folder if you frequently want to try different arrangements...
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
Jim Sachs
Developer

I think we need to return to the original question, which was regarding saving the settings (Fish Sets, etc.) I'm currently experimenting with a checkbox on the Program Settings box which says, "Childproof Lock (No settings will be saved)". It just seems like any child who got this far would have no trouble unlocking it.

We have a lot of elderly (OK, ancient) customers. I can foresee their great-grandchildren setting the childproof lock, and Grandma is calling us because her settngs aren't being saved.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #25
Dale
Banned

Ralph, Yes, making those two copies, along with saving the .reg data, (and any .png or music files that might have been placed in that folder) would be the complete solution. I just was pointing out that the .reg wasn't the only thing that needed to be considered.

Originally posted by Dale:
[The technical drawback of the Registry Key hack is that some of the settings aren't in the registry. If your son never fiddles with clock/logo/music that wouldn't be a problem, though]  
Old 05-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #26
Dale
Banned

I think we need to return to the original question, which was regarding saving the settings (Fish Sets, etc.) I'm currently experimenting with a checkbox on the Program Settings box which says, "Childproof Lock (No settings will be saved)". It just seems like any child who got this far would have no trouble unlocking it.  
Password, of course.

And then you'll have to have a way to either recover the password or bypass it, and children will figure that out.

Seriously - this problem is totally solved by not "sharing" computer accounts with untrusted others. Individual user accounts with passwords take care of the problem. Standard Windows feature.

I don't understand why you need to invent another mechanism, (and willingly create more "trouble"), at least until after the first Creature Pack is available.

We have a lot of elderly (OK, ancient) customers. I can foresee their great-grandchildren setting the childproof lock, and Grandma is calling us because her settngs aren't being saved.  
I'm 70. Which category is that in?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #27
Jim Sachs
Developer

nytiger73 - Does Dream Aquarium use a password? It doesn't seem like it from that screen shot.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #28
Dale
Banned

nytiger73 - Does Dream Aquarium use a password? It doesn't seem like it from that screen shot.  
Jim, I didn't assume that Dream Aquarium used a password.

You said: "It just seems like any child who got this far would have no trouble unlocking it."

I meant that using a password would be the solution to that problem.

"Security by obscurity" isn't security.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #29
Jim Sachs
Developer

Dale - please take a break.

nytiger73 - I understand that you are happy with the way this feature works in Dream Aquarium, so I just wanted to make sure I understand exactly how Alan implemented it.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #30
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

Nope, no password for Dream Aquarium. Used to be that you had to bring up the windows screensaver settings yourself, so it was pretty well hidden but with Vista and 7 that's hard to find on your own so it was incorporated into the more stuff menu inside the program. It helps alan with customer support since he doesn't have to waste time asking which OS is being used and then explain how to find the screensaver settings.
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #31
harris
Registered

Jim, if you do implement this feature in the future, for the sake of clarity wouldn't it be better to say; "Childproof Lock (No subsequent settings will be saved)" - just a thought.

Priceless
harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #32
JohnWho
Registered

Perhaps emulating what is done with Dream Aquarium would be acceptable to some and a relatively easy "fix", but even then, as pointed out, it is easily overridden.

Why can't you, nytiger73, simply tell your son to only use the Fish Settings "tank" configuration with his name, and then make one for him? Surely he can first click on his "tank" and then have fun?

On the other hand, if he is changing the "ogo/Image/Clock/Calendar or Music or removing the bubble column, etc. settings, then that is another thing altogether.

I'm in agreement here - Windows separate User accounts resolves this issue easily. Just because some folks don't want to use the Windows feature should not mean that every vendor then has to implement its own methodology for this.

Just my 2 cents.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows