Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #21
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Single ideas which are easy to implement - welcome anytime.  
In the version that is sold, make the program defaults "no sound at all" and "Exit on mouse move".
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #22
Jim Sachs
Developer

The sound has to default to ON, otherwise those users I was describing earlier will never know the program does music now.

You're probably right about the Exit-On-Mousemove, but it's a close call. All previous versions defaulted to ON, and we had an awful lot of people complaining that the program wouldn't stay running. Now it's just the opposite - they wonder how to shut it off.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #23
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Pretty sad they can't figure out the ESC key.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #24
Dale
Banned

The sound has to default to ON, otherwise those users I was describing earlier will never know the program does music now.

You're probably right about the Exit-On-Mousemove, but it's a close call. All previous versions defaulted to ON, and we had an awful lot of people complaining that the program wouldn't stay running. Now it's just the opposite - they wonder how to shut it off.  
Your call, of course. Perhaps consider the following:

If you're right that "set it as their screensaver, and never touch it again", (and I believe you're right) then the music will quickly become irritating (or turning down the speaker will become irritating). But for those folks, it's a screensaver.

And there are lots of other features that users will never know about.

Perhaps having the music on will encourage them to talk to their nephew.

Thanks for considering it.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #25
Jim Sachs
Developer

Morgan - Believe it or not, I put it on my neighbor's computer, and the phone was ringing before I even sat down back at my desk, "How do I turn it off?!"

Dale - There are two major new features in MA3, the huge 3D environment and the music capability. Some people don't even notice the new background right away, so the music is really the only thing which immediately distinguishes it.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #26
Dale
Banned

Dale - There are two major new features in MA3, the huge 3D environment and the music capability. Some people don't even notice the new background right away, so the music is really the only thing which immediately distinguishes it.  
OK, I understand - you're primarily targeting people who previously ran MA2.x

You said "it's the best $19.95 they've ever spent" - and I immediately assumed you were targeting folks who had never before seen MA == for whom everything would be a new feature.

Sorry I mistook the target market.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #27
Yodelking
yodeler

1 Highscore

Morgan - Believe it or not, I put it on my neighbor's computer, and the phone was ringing before I even sat down back at my desk, "How do I turn it off?!"  
As a wise man once said: "Why would anyone ever want to turn it off?"

It's good that you turned off the mouse-exit on default, hopefully someone will press "Space" instead of "Esc" first, and find the settings-menu.
Yodelking - För god att kolsyra!
Yodelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:31 AM   #28
Manymosi
Registered

How about some type of popup on first use explaining a few of the features - or at least where to get help?
Manymosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #29
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Manymosi:
How about some type of popup on first use explaining a few of the features - or at least where to get help?  
I've wanted this since day 1 but Jim is No Go on that one too.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #30
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Yodelking:
As a wise man once said: "Why would anyone ever want to turn it off?"

Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #31
CheriePie
Registered

As far as how the casual user will interact with the program, it will be the same as it's always been - they'll download it, set it as their screensaver, and never touch it again. They'll never know about clocks, logos, or any of the other features. They'll enjoy if for years, and it won't give them any trouble. They will impress their friends with it, telling them that it's the best $19.95 they've ever spent on their computer. Maybe some day their computer-nerd nephew might notice that it's an old version, and download an update for them.  
Teehee, well they might if they saw the clock on my own display.
I hear ya though. Don't necessarily agree it's the best way to handle it but you're the boss! :P

But based on what you're saying, you do think I should let my girlfriend buy the 3.0 beta version now, knowing she's never gonna come to this forum to participate or anything? And knowing that if something doesn't work right, she's not going to report it here. But at least since she knows I have it, she'd probably tell me about it anyway and then I could report it if it's something unique.

For that matter, I suppose I could actually be her personal "update alert" when 3.0 is final. *ding* your software is ready now. LOL

Originally posted by harris:
CheriePie; Fantastic looking Avatar, did you design it?  
Thanks but no, it's something I found on the web awhile back and saved in my pictures/avatars folder. The original artist is Michael McGloin. (I had the last name in the filename so I googled it.)
(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•♥.•´*.¸.•´*
`*.¸.*´♥ CheriePie )O( ♥
reviewsblogtwitter
CheriePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows