Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Dale
Banned

Can't tell what code version is being tested

This is the MA3 Beta Test Forum, and I'm submitting a problem that I believe to be a bug in MA3.

Simply stated, it is not possible to actually tell what version of code is being run. Therefore, we and Jim and Support may be seeing different behaviors, but think we are running the same code. The problem is that we can't be sure.

I believe that it's essential that there be some way to identify the exact version being used - and especially essential to be able to know what the most current version is (and where to get it).

That's essential for the sanity for the testers (us) and for "support" and for regular users.

Here's an example (from MA2) of the insanity that can result:

Originally posted by Dale:
I may have discovered a solution to this. Are those folks having trouble using version 2.01? (V2-MD)? If so, try downloading the latest version of 2.0 (the file is 1,363,095 bytes, and is named MAquarium-V2.exe), Uninstall V2-MD, and then install V2.

That seems to (perhaps) have fixed the problem for me.

NOTE: There was at least one earlier version called V2.0, with a file named MAquarium-V2.exe, that was 1,250,868 bytes. That's not the one I used. For all I know, there may have been other versions called V2.0 with different code. Please pardon me for saying that having different "versions" with the same name is not a really good way to keep track of changes, and solve problems.  
(Continued)
Old 01-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Dale
Banned

We see in another thread that the MarineAquarium3.exe (download) file sometimes changes, without notification either on this forum or the SereneScreen site.

I note that it's impossible to tell from the internal identification of the download file, what version it is.

The name is always MarineAquarium3.exe
Internally, the file version is 0.0.0.0
Description is "SereneScreen Marine Aquarium 3 Setup"
Language is "Language Neutral"
And the Product Name is "SereneScreen Marine Aquarium 3"

So, we can't tell from the internal file information what version we have downloaded.

The only way to try to tell if there was a change is to:
1. Occasionally download the file.
2. Install it.
3. Look at the version number.

(continued - and my apologies for the long thread).
Old 01-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by JohnWho:
the "boxed version" reports that it is Version T603.3.0.1933.
Latest "beta" I have shows Version T928.3.0.1953  
Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Those numbers don't really mean much. They
depend on whose computer the program happened to be compiled on, and get updated even if there are no changes.  
Agreed. So, if they don't mean much, they aren't useful, so that's a bug, and those numbers should be removed from the product display.

And we note that pressing "S" in either version shows it's Beta10d.

So, I submit that there needs to be some way for people to know what code version they are running, that actually tells something. There are lots of ways of doing that (code version control). Pick one and do it.

Footnote: Jim points out that there may be other "non code" variations - website link, language, etc. Those should also be uniquely identified - separately from the "executable code".
Old 01-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

The latest version is still 10d. The executable hasn't changed in a while.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Old 01-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

I'm sorry, and I hope I won't get a telling off for this, but is there any real point to this discussion? Is it going to lead to anything that will enhance the aquarium? Bugs are unusual fish movements, or backgrounds disappearing etc. Not minor code discreprancies in the menu that only a few users would notice. I vote we let Jim get on with the magic of creating the aquarium and not worry about silly minutiae. Does anybody agree with me?
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Nicki:
I'm sorry, and I hope I won't get a telling off for this, but is there any real point to this discussion? Is it going to lead to anything that will enhance the aquarium? Bugs are unusual fish movements, or backgrounds disappearing etc. Not minor code discreprancies in the menu that only a few users would notice. I vote we let Jim get on with the magic of creating the aquarium and not worry about silly minutiae. Does anybody agree with me?  
I agree with you - Jim should get on with the artistry, instead of the details that I've been commenting on (and instead of Website design).

However, I don't consider things like documentation, code version control, customer satisfaction, ability to support the product, etc. to be "silly minutiae". They should be important to the software publisher (Prolific).

And I thought we were here to comment on things we personally thought important, based on our background, etc. [In my case, over 40 years of developing and supporting software].

I understand that may be silly minutiae to some folks (just as discussions of monitor burnin and whether MA3 is a simulation or a screensaver are silly minutiae to me).
Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 AM   #7
cjmaddy
Registered

Please, close this thread.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Nicki:
I'm sorry, and I hope I won't get a telling off for this, but is there any real point to this discussion?  
Nope.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
Closed Thread
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows