Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-15-2003, 09:19 AM   #781
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Was it changing colors like I have seen them do in documentaries. About 15 years ago when I was keeping salt water fish, I always wanted one, just by himself in my 45 gal. tank. But they were never available. They remind me of goldfish a little, in that they seen to have personalities like goldfish do. We know they look nothing alike.
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 11:49 AM   #782
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Re: Speaking of cuttlefish...

Originally posted by RBEmerson
. . .big wriggly pink thing coming towards them.
Now there's a great title to replace "Yellow Tang" under your name to the left

/Tiny Thing
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 01:42 PM   #783
RBEmerson
Registered

Speaking of cuttlefish...

As I recall, there was some color change as we drifted around and the surroundings changed a bit. I've been trying to think of just where this was (perhaps near Marina Key?) so I can get a better handle on the overall setting but I'm coming up empty.

Anyway, there weren't any gross changes until I dove on them (actually off to one side but that was still enough to stress them ). They changed to something which, I guess, means "bad news coming" in cuttlefish sign language, and they swam off fast for about 20-30'.

One other thing happened with the "V" cuttle fish which I don't understand but which I'm sure wasn't just a random motion. At one point the cuttlefish making the "V" curled back a tentacle until it made a small "o". This happened symetrically so the results were "oVo". Someone who knows more about this species' behavior might have a clue as to what happened.

[note to moderators: maybe we should put this thread somewhere else to avoid topic drift?]
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:20 PM   #784
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Here is another photo of the cuttlefish. In this one he seems to be changing colors. This appears to be a better shot of the fish to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg squid.jpeg (15.4 KB, 231 views)
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:56 PM   #785
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

WOW .........That pic is great Marian . I'd love to see that in the tank .
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 04:07 PM   #786
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

I noticed on other aquarium screensavers that some have other background colors to chose from and they look nice,but the quality of the screensaver wasn't.I was wandering will the background be able to change to other colors in the future like red or gold,or will it stay black and blue only?
GreenHsiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:25 PM   #787
Jim Sachs
Developer

I've been thinking about this for some time, and have told Reichart that if one of his programmers has some free time (ha, ha), I wouldn't object to this feature.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 09:43 AM   #788
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

WOW .........That pic is great Marian . I'd love to see that in the tank .
WSHIREY,

I agree! I think that a tank full of Cuttlefish or Nautilus would be very cool indeed.

Jim,

On the topic of the background, I'm not sure if this has been asked or not, but have you considered adding in the "option" for users to turn the coral on or off so that they just have the sand? This would be a nice feature to use from time to time and would showcase the fish even more so as the focus would then be primarily on them. In doing so this would also give them more room to swim and I'd be willing to be it would look VERY nice with the background color turned all the way down to black. Let me clarify that this is only a suggestion/request to make this an "option", I would never request that the 2D coral (and definately NOT the 3D coral background due later) to be permanently removed.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:05 AM   #789
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Prolific wants to add an Advanced panel to the Settings at some point. Might be a good place for a "sand only" setting.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:23 AM   #790
Jim Sachs
Developer

This would be a lot of work. If it were done with the 2D version, all new background tiles would have to be created.

If it were to be done with the 3D version, a whole different "ground" would need to be created. The rocks, coral, etc., do not "sit" on sand which would show up if the objects were to be removed. There would just be a blank hole there. New polygons and artwork would have to be created to fill those holes.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-20-2003, 10:28 AM   #791
feldon34
Forum Administrator

With the 2D version, I'm thinking 3-4 hours work.

With the 3D version, more like 2 days.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 05-20-2003, 11:05 AM   #792
Jim Sachs
Developer

At least several days with the 2D version. Besides the obvious art and polygon revisions, the background would have to be changed from 8 tiles to 4, with all the programming which would accompany that. The Clear() function would need to be readjusted for the new amount of the screen that needed to be cleared. The fish-to-coral pathway code would all need to be removed, without affecting the fish-to-fish collision prediction code, and all the bubbles-under-the-carpet bugs which would be caused by that. Then there's the widescreen version, the Japanese version, the German version, the CD version, the Time version, the Crystal version, and all the combinations and permutations thereof.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-20-2003, 11:17 AM   #793
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I don't think anyone was expecting you (or Prolific for that matter) to change it so the fish can change layers anywhere they want.

Why remove the other 4 tiles? Removing the coral is not to gain performance but simply to have a sand background.

The widescreen version is still on 1.1.x code. I can't see any effort being expended to add the sand-only background to this one until it is running on GUD code.

The Japanese version is a HEAVILY modified version of 1.0 so I can't see why it would gain this functionality.

The German, MAT, and Crystal versions are all GUD-driven, so they will inherit any changes made in MA2.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:07 PM   #794
Jim Sachs
Developer

I would leave 4 blank tiles in there which don't do anything, and have the fish swim around them? You don't know me very well, do you?

Also, the Japanese and German companies we deal with would be screaming for their versions to have everything that the American version had. And the Time and Crystal versions would have to be modified so that they don't print their information on the blank space where the crystal used to be.

I think AquaReal or SimAquarium have a mode like this. People can just buy that.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-20-2003, 03:14 PM   #795
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

On the fish wishlist page I notice that a percula clownfish is on there.That fish is already on the aquarium.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:33 PM   #796
Jim Sachs
Developer

They might mean a "true" Percula. I don't plan to put one in, because you'd need a DNA test to tell the difference.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-20-2003, 05:11 PM   #797
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

Will there be an option to make each fish move at different speeds?
Old 05-20-2003, 05:17 PM   #798
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, it wouldn't really be an option. Each type of fish will move at the natural speed for its species, once I get the individual movement algorithms in.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-20-2003, 08:44 PM   #799
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Here's a weird one I stumbled across, don't think we'll be seeing this litle fellow in the MA any time soon. It's called a Pine-Cone Fish and he's very prehistoric looking I might add.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pine cone fish.jpg (10.3 KB, 121 views)
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 08:48 PM   #800
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I've also stumbled upon that one once or twice.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows