Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-14-2002, 05:11 PM   #1
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Thumbs Down ** Cool Freshwater Aquarium **

<center>

</center>

This is the first Fish-themed screen saver that has impressed me besides Jim Sachs' awesome Aquarium.

Taking a freshwater theme, this screen saver has just one fish, duplicated many times, but it swims well, its fins move properly and billow in the flow of the water, the fish avoid each other pretty well, and they breathe!

There is a lot of scenery of a novelty type here, but I think it is tastefully done and I don't mind it. We have a windmill on the right and several wind towers, all textured and modeled quite well. The lightplay from the water's surface is not perfect, but it falls on the fish, floor, and scenery properly.

If I were putting money on which screen saver besides Jim's anyone will remember 5 years from now, it's this one.

Here's a quote from the guy who e-mailed it to me:
"Please find the attached file which is another fish screensaver, created by Taiwan computer programmers one year ago...Actually it is a simulation game. Gamer can create their own tank and DIY their own screensaver and e-mail to their friends. You can make the camera follow the fish by right clicking your mouse. And there's interactiveness if you touch the fish by clicking your mouse."

I've put up a little website about it. Unfortunately, the whole program is in Chinese, so I've put together a graphic translating some of the buttons. Click below to see my website about "Windmill":

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 03-14-2002 at 05:17 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 07:27 PM   #2
hayc59
VoodØØ Child™

hey your right that is kinda cool!!
ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêÐ
Never Forget

God Bless America

hayc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 08:53 PM   #3
senivy
Registered

I am the guy who e-mail this screensaver to Morgan. I am very happy you like it. As I said in my last message, this is a simulation game, and people can arrange their own tank. And after they arrange their tank, they can DIY their one and only screensaver and even e-mail to their friends. So if you guys don't like WINDMILL, I can arrange other themes, such as "TEMPLE¡@in the Tank"... I am not kidding. I really have temples in my other tank. Of course you can select which kind of fish you want. Maybe I will post it to you folks later.
senivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 10:56 PM   #4
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
Haha
I know this one.......I even bought it when I went back to Taiwan last two yrears ago........
this one is really amazing.....
I especially like its classical background music and lots of tweaking features on fishes.....and downloadable add-on fishes.....some even as funny as mermaid and special fish food can be downloaded......

yes...this is the best freshwater Aquarium game/screensaver out there.......I'm very proud of it becz it's developed by my people....

anyway.....strictly.......the fishes in the Aquarium is still not as good as Jim's one....
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 03:31 AM   #5
hpman77
Blue Angel

and if the program could be in english too, it would be perfect
(in spanish would be even better, but I know it's harder)

it just need to have more fish models at once, and it would be the best freshwater aquarium I ever seen
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 03:57 AM   #6
Shinsa
Registered

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought my alarm clock three years ago. The background sound IS THE EXACT SAME sound in my Timex alarm clock! My alarm clock has four sounds "WIND", "WAVES", "WOODLAND", and "BROOK". It is the brook sound. As soon as I heard it I thought my alarm clock was going off! LOL

I guess someone is using a little sound clip-art?

LOL

Looks really good!
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 03-15-2002, 04:28 AM   #7
James

this Aquarium also has saltwater version with lot of fishes and
invertebrates
example

go here to view all the screenshoot
screenshoot
u'll be amazed...

here's some video u can download to view
Videos

the game is really cheap...
only around $12.85 USD ($450 NTD)

saddly the game only release Chinese and Janpanese version
here's the official site of Japanese version
OCEAN BOX
James C Chen
HTC Corporation
www.htc.com

Last edited by James; 03-15-2002 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-15-2002, 05:05 AM   #8
James

the same software company also develop a battlefish tank dedicate for battlefish

some screenshot

even a battle stage can be setup

I didn't buy this game anyway coz it hasn't released yet when I was in Taiwan.....
it look cool to me
only $11.4 USD ($399 NTD)

so cheap eh....
James C Chen
HTC Corporation
www.htc.com
Old 03-15-2002, 10:25 AM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

James,

I downloaded all the saltwater fish add-ons but couldn't see how to download the saltwater demo. Is there a demo or do you have to buy before you can get it?

The clownfish animation looked pretty nice.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-15-2002, 11:13 AM   #10
PigsOnTheWing
Registered

Ocean Box

I found SSI Tristar's english-speaking page for "Ocean Box." Just point your browser to:

http://www.ssi-tri.co.jp/en_main/pro.../oceanbox.html

Man, this thing looks cool! Has anyone figured out how to order/download this thing yet?
PigsOnTheWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 12:30 PM   #11
feldon34
Forum Administrator

PigsOnTheWing,

They want $35? OUCH
Old 03-15-2002, 01:12 PM   #12
PigsOnTheWing
Registered

I don't have a problem with the $35 (did you convert the Yen for that figure?)...but how do you actually get a copy? There's no doubt that Jim's fish are far more beautiful...but "Ocean Box" looks like it's a more sophisticated program. You've got the "game" element in feeding/breeding the fish, you can customize their surroundings with various accessories, they're in a truly 3-D environment (did you see that you can even move the tank around with the "hand" and look at 3/4 overhead or even full overhead views?), and you can follow them around with a close-up "fish cam"--truly amazing stuff! I've got a hunch that most of the users on this forum would gladly cough up the extra $15 if these features were part of the "SereneScreen Aquarium." And, no, I'm not asking Jim to add these things. I'm just saying if he were to come along and say that he was coming out with a newer/better version of the "Aquarium" that offered some of these things (the rotatable 3-D tank and "fish cam" would be enough), I think many of us would be waiting in line with the extra cash!

Last edited by PigsOnTheWing; 03-15-2002 at 01:19 PM.
PigsOnTheWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 03:35 PM   #13
slofland
Registered

Cool battlefish site

i could not find the battlefish info on the web site do you have a link for it?
slofland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 04:04 PM   #14
James

Morgan
I'm sorry that u can't add more fishes into ur current screensaver...
the reason is that screensaver is a fixed program made by the registered game user....
that why senivy said he can make some more with different scenery or fishes
So if you guys don't like WINDMILL, I can arrange other themes, such as "TEMPLE¡@in the Tank"
so u can't add-on fishes nor scenery inoto ur screensaver...
the only way to use those add on is by installing the whole game...
I'm not sure if there's any demo out there(don't think so)

well......I have a copy but I didn't play much becoz it can't show the grafic of main menu properly...although it shows the tank with no problem.......so I uninstalled it and never use it again...
if there's no such thread here........it's CD probably still hidden deeply inside my drawer......
when I bought this game back in Taiwan 2 yrs ago........
it hasn't release any salt water fish yet......nor extra feature like make the tank as screensaver to share with somebody.....

in the official site of this game....the latest news state that the game is going to release the second version very soon....with whole new improved 3D engine and AI of fishes and lot of new functions.......but it didn't say when.....
I'm looking forward it anyway.......

$35 USD is expensive compare to the price in Taiwan....
it's only $12.85 USD in Taiwan.......
the game in Taiwan is very cheap IF the game is developed by Taiwan software company.....the reason is that Taiwanese usually don't have any confidence on Taiwanese-made software product.....lots of bugs....poor graphic.......etc...
but that was long time ago........now surely improved...this game is an example...but the market still follows the tradition...
tagging the low price in order to attract some customer or else on one will buy it.......
of coz it's the problem of Taiwanese perople....
most Taiwanese like to play RPG and other stuff...some Taiwanese-made RPG also very expensive....those r the big companies....
but only a little amount of ppl like to play this type of simulation game......
that's why the game is sooooo cheap.....

well.....Morgan....if u want the CD copy..........I can mail u one(coz I backup each game of my own......this is legal to back up but not very legal to mail one to u though......if u mind then don't bother it...)I'm currently in New Zealand........so it migh ttakes abuot a week or more to reach ur hand if I mial it......
but make sure u install some plug-in to let ur computer see those chinese words and ask some of ur chinese friends there to help u out...

slofland
sorry....I tot no one would like to lok inside the battlefish's site

battlefish's diary

but beware...the sit eis only support in Traditional and Simplified Chinese...

here's some screenshot of the product
product intro

PS. if u r cunning enough.......u r able to find out its website by my previous image's link......all the image is from that site
no offence!
James C Chen
HTC Corporation
www.htc.com

Last edited by James; 03-15-2002 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2002, 08:36 PM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Ok, I thought this might happen.

We are confusing two different screen savers.

Taiwanese "VR Aquarium (Windmill)" screen saver

and

Japanese "Ocean Box" screen saver with downloadable fish add-ons.

Let's keep it clear which ones we are talking about. I'll go back and label my posts more clearly.
Old 03-15-2002, 08:47 PM   #16
James

Morgan.....
I thought that "VR Aquarium (Windmill)" screen saver is actually made by Senivy.....
from what I know is this game has recently released an enhancement package....so that the user could export their own tank design as screensaver........
there's no such screensaver demo outthere for download....
I'm sure that Windmill screensaver is made by Senivy
as I said b4...the screensaver is a fixed programe after export from the VR Aquarium game......

and the Ocean Box is just the Japanese version of original VR Aquarium ........
I'm not sure whether the screensaver exported by Japanese version Ocean Box is able to add-on fishes.....coz I never have that one........

correct me if I'm wrong
James C Chen
HTC Corporation
www.htc.com
Old 03-16-2002, 05:20 AM   #17
senivy
Registered

Angry

Hi, James

Basically you are right.

Actually everybody can download screensaver and fish add-ons. But it won't work unless you have installed the VR Aquarium. And the screensaver which you download provides the function to DIY your one and only screensaver. That is because this game provides the funtion for people to customize their own tank. People can save their tank and DIY it as a screensaver and even e-mail to their friends who do not have VR Aquarium installed.

Ocean Box is the Japaness version of VR Aquarium. Same product but different name. Right now there's no screensaver function for Ocean Box.

Screensaver function was released six months after the game launched.

Please find the attached file. That's another screensaver. Hope you like it.
Old 03-16-2002, 05:55 AM   #18
James

Senivy

And the screensaver which you download provides the function to DIY your one and only screensaver
do u mean ppl can customize your screensaver by any existing object and fishes that included in the screensaver?
I don't quite get ur meaning...:P

Screensaver function was released six months after the game launched
arr....icic.....that's why I don't have it becoz by that time I've already back to New Zealand la
I think the "export as a screensaver" function is in that so called «Â¤O¥[±jª©....right?

do you have that ÀÀ¯u¤É¯Åª©¡Hif yes...can u tell me what's that about?
James C Chen
HTC Corporation
www.htc.com
Old 03-16-2002, 07:40 AM   #19
senivy
Registered

James,

Well, you are right. People can cusmomize and save their own tank and fish in the game. Then they can use those files to generate their one and only screen saver, like WINDMILL, which can be exported to people who don't install the game.

Yes, this function is in «Â¤O¥[±jª©.
Old 03-16-2002, 08:26 AM   #20
senivy
Registered

The following is the set-up dialogue for generating screen saver.

Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive