Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 09-22-2005, 07:59 PM   #61
Mark Newman

Big Grin I Can't Get My Screensaver out of Demo Mode!

I bought Marine Aquarium for Mac OS X version 2.0 out of the box in the Apple Store where I bought my first generation iMac G5 20" computer. I had to download the software update to 2.0.6 so that it could work with Panther. Since then I upgraded to Tiger (OS X 10.4.2) and it still worked fine. Unfortunately, like many first generation iMac G5 computers, I had to get my motherboard replaced. Well, I got it back yesterday and when I go to System Preferences now, I place the CD-ROM into the slotdrive and everything looks great. Unfortunately, when I go out of System Preferences and eject the CD-ROM from the slot drive, the Marine Aquarium goes back into demo mode and won't work. I put the CD-ROM back in and I'm fine again but everything ends after I take the CD-ROM out once more. Help! Does anybody have any suggestions? Why won't the CD-ROM permanently register the software?Please respond on this site and/or e-mail me at mjnewman@mac.com
Old 09-22-2005, 11:27 PM   #62
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Hi Mark,

The solution is fairly straightforward. This happened because Apple saved and restored your hard drive, which confused a file permission.

In the terminal application (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) type in the command

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/com.prolific.*

and press the return key. It will ask you for your password so it can have permission to remove the file. You need to have administrative authority on the computer to do this.

You'll have to enter the CD one more time, but it should be fine without it after that.

Let me know how it goes.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:09 AM   #63
Mark Newman

Embarassed You're a Genius!

Jim O'Connor--You are the best! Not in a million years would I have figured that one out. Furthermore, I've never done anything in Terminal and was always terrified of messing around with that. However, your confidence gave me confidence and I tried it. Not only did it work instantly and perfectly but, you should know, I did not even need to re-insert my CD-ROM. May G-d bless you and I hope I can help others in my life as wonderfully as you've helped me!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:47 AM   #64
Jim Sachs
Developer

Ha, ha - "The solution is fairly straightforward"
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:32 AM   #65
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Someone at Order-N-Dev should write a little Permissions Cleanup script ala my Registry Cleaner for Windows.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:02 PM   #66
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Feldon, we'll probably include it in the AppleScript suite for future products.

Mark, thanks for your kind words. There are methods of fixing this problem with the UI but none of them are as hard to do wrong as "copy this string into terminal".
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 09-30-2005, 10:33 AM   #67
schneb
Registered

Originally posted by feldon29:
Someone at Order-N-Dev should write a little Permissions Cleanup script ala my Registry Cleaner for Windows.  
If you open up the Drive Setup Utility, they have a "Fix Permissions" menu item that should do this.

BTW-Marine Aquarium is working flawlessly on the latest version of Tiger.
schneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:39 AM   #68
HisDudeness
Registered

Just signed up but dont seem able to post new threads here.So I,ll just have to use the quick reply method to post my feedback. Very happy with my Aquarium screensaver and it runs perfectly on my Imac G3 400Mhz DV. Just like to make one suggestion- How about increasing the realism by having the kelp and other forms of aquatic plantlife move and sway in the underwater currents.
HisDudeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #69
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Hi Dudeness,

Artistic feature issues are handled in the PC side. If you want a UI feature or Mac specific change which doesn't affect the art then we are happy to talk about it here. Jim Sachs holds final authority on all features.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 02-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #70
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Hallo HDude and welcome aboard!

The reason you (nor anyone else) can start a thread with their first post is that we've had some problems with trolls posting inapropriate (sp?) stuff all over the place so now every new member has to be validated by our admins (Feldon29 or Jav400).

/Tiny Addendum
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive