Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Tango
Registered

distortion (dual display)

Some screen distortion on the second display in both endpoints of screen.

Both display to Automatic
Screen 1: 1600x1200
Screen 2: 1280x720 via HDMI on a TV
Graphic Card: ATI HD 3800 driver version Catalyst 08.11

A picture showing left side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MA3Beta8k Screen2.JPG (123.3 KB, 18 views)
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Tango, hope you don't mind I created a new topic for this issue.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Tango
Registered

No problem.

I posted in the beta forum also so I try to delete that post.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Got it.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

This is the problem with allowing multimonitors. There's a whole uiniverse of possible configurations out there which will put the camera in unplanned-for positions. You can't just create an infinite world which looks OK from every angle - it has to end somewhere.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

Do you have it set to display same image in all displays?

Jim, I think I might have a possible for this.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Tango
Registered

Yes the setting it set to: Render same image on all monitors = ON

A workaround is:
Don't use the Displaymode Automatic , set the resolution hard.

//Christer
Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
cjmaddy
Registered

Jim, - I truly believe that most multi-monitor problems will completely disappear, (and won't even exist!), where screens are of the same configuration. - Both my monitors are the same size, and therefore are set to the same resolution. The only time I see anything strange now, (or the camera appear to be in an odd position), is if I reduce the resolution in one of the screens. - And the only time I do that is if I try to reproduce a fault that someone else has reported.... The misalignment effect that I've previously described, - being the main/only fault that I have found recently, since those early Alpha testing days. - Yes, the angle we see things at across two screens, is very different to that seen on a single monitor, but I think you've solved maybe 99% of the 'originally-unplanned-for' camera position problems.

That is why I would urge you to point out, in the final release, that if MA3 is to be viewed spread across more than one monitor, then all monitors should ideally be the same size, and set to the same resolution. Otherwise, alignment problems are likely.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

OK.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
Tango
Registered

I know the dual monitor is a secondary feature so this is just info on my finding's

Updated the driver to ATI HD 3800 driver version Catalyst 08.12 an now the errors reappears.

The panning goes to far on both side's on monitor 2, around 4 inch of the Tongue Coral on left side and the Bulb Anemone on the right side.

//Christer

Last edited by Tango; 01-30-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:53 AM   #11
cjmaddy
Registered

Tango, - I'm not certain that I follow what your setup is, but from trying out a few tests, it might be worth setting both the MA3 resolutions to be the same as each other, (ie, in the 'MA3 Display Settings'), irrespective of what your hardware settings might have to be, (ie, in your 'Windows Display Properties Setting').

I find that I can change my monitor's resolutions so that they are different to each other. But keeping the MA3 resolutions the same, corrects the problems that the first change caused. .... If that makes any sense!!!

Bottom line, - try setting Screen 2 (in MA3's 'Display Settings'), to 1600x1200, - if that is available!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
Tango
Registered

Ok I try to explain.

Monitor 1 = Computer monitor aspect ratio 4:3 set to 1600x1200.

Monitor 2 = Samsung Slimfit CRT TV "HD Ready" aspect ratio 16:9 set to 1280x720. (Default HD resolution)

On Monitor 1 the viewing window stop just when it have pan across the Tongue Coral on left side and the Bulb Anemone on the right side.
But on Monitor 2 the viewing window go 4-5 inch more before it stop.
And it's in the endpoints the display error is seen (Look at the picture in post one).

Because the different aspect ratio it's not possible to display same resolution on both monitors. (OK you can patch the graphic driver)

So to get rid of the error is to stop the panning window on Monitor 2 at the same point as on Monitor 1.

Hope I explained so you can understand the scenario.

//Christer

PS: But as Jim writes programming for a second monitor is not so trivial, so i can live with the error. Better to concentrate on a good monitor 1 display.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

Christer - can you try setting Monitor 1 to something near the resolution of Monitor 2 - maybe 1024x768 ?
Jim Sachs
Old 01-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #14
Edgar

1 Highscore

Jim,
I haven't had a chance yet to play with the fix for this.

The temporary solution is to make the narrower display as the main display monitor in Windows.

Edit: Never mind. That fails too at this time. I guess you have to try Jim's suggestion.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 01-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
Edgar

1 Highscore

It is the opposite, you would want the wider screen to be the main display monitor as a work around for now.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 01-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #16
Tango
Registered

Hi Jim and Edgar

I tested some display resolutions:

First as you suggested setting the monitor 1 to 1600x1200 and monitor 2 to 1024x768 this give the same result on both display (the panning window stop at the same place on both monitors).

I then tested monitor 1 to 1600x1200 and monitor 2 to 1280x720 which give the display error (the panning window goes longer on both sides 4-5 inches).

I then tested monitor 1 to 1600x1200 and monitor 2 to 1280x768 which also give the display error but not so much (the panning window goes not so long on both sides 1-2 inches).

I then tested monitor 1 to 1600x1200 and monitor 2 to 1280x800 which give the same display on both monitors (the panning window stop at the same place on both monitors).

So the more picture height resolution gives less horizontally errors, rather confusing I could understand if it was the other way around.

Maybe it has to do with my TV it's a Widescreen 16:9 CRT TV capable of showing HDTV resolutions on a HDMI input.

//Christer
Old 01-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #17
Jim Sachs
Developer

What I was asking you to try was set monitor 1 to 1024x768. I have always suspected that setting the height to be roughly the same (regardless of the width) would fix the problem.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows