Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-11-2005, 04:22 AM   #1
chia_kai
Registered

Thumbs Up The 3D background

What will the 3D backgroud be like?
I'm looking forward to it.
And how about those special creatures? Are there some pictures we can take a look?
chia_kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:12 AM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

It's kind of difficult to answer. Right now the background only exists as a vision in Jim Sachs' head. Expect it to look spectacular though.

The creature pack is equally difficult to predict. We've snapped up various bits and pieces of information over time, but I don't think it's decide which creatures will end up in the pack(s). Here is a link to the Official Wishlist's (not the wishlist thread) section for speciality creatures.

Personally, I suspect an anemone with a Clownfish living in it will be part of the first pack. I know Jim's a bit annoyed by the free-swimming Percula Clownfish in the current aquarium.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:56 AM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The 3D background will have similar species to what it has now, plus a moving anemone, plus feather dusters. And it will be wider than even the 16:9 and pan back and forth (control with keyboard or disable panning in control panel).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
kona001
New Husband and new Aquarium

Getting to know Jim and his perfectionism over the years being on and reading this forum, I just know that clownfish is going to look spectacular when it's done. I have a feeling that if the clownfish swimming freely around annoys Jim, then that'll be the first creature he works on .
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
Marian Nichols
~Author~

That bothered me also, I would much prefer seeing it nestle amongst an anemone.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
chia_kai
Registered

I found this on the website:
3.Fish_&_Feature_Wishlist

3.1. What special creatures will we see in the Aquarium?
We've already got a Starfish. We will see a Coral Shrimp, Jellyfish, Crab, Nudibranchs, Lobster, Zebra Moray Eel, Ribbon Eel, Sea Horse, Puffer, and Octopus.

3.2. Are there any fish that aren't included in the purchase price of the Aquarium?
So far, the Mandarin Gobi, and Boxfish are slated to be add-on fish.

So I'm looking forward to it!
But can you tell me what the 3d background will be like?
seaweed? coral that can move? caves that eels can live in? a stick that seashore can catch?
Will the pufferfish really get big like a bolloon when it's panicked?
And will the octopus change it's color in different places like the natural ones can do?
But I think I'll need to wait for years to see those special creatures...
chia_kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:58 AM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

But can you tell me what the 3d background will be like?
seaweed? coral that can move? caves that eels can live in? a stick that seashore can catch?
Will the pufferfish really get big like a bolloon when it's panicked?
And will the octopus change it's color in different places like the natural ones can do?
Yes.
But I think I'll need to wait for years to see those special creatures...
It's hard not to feel this way.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 01-18-2005, 04:54 AM   #8
Falz
Registered

Until we actually get it, my official stance has become "We won't be getting it".

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I think I have a fair reason to be. Though just because I bought some software a couple of years ago for $19.95 doesn't mean I'm going to feel short changed, I got my money's worth then. I am not owed anything. But I just don't think it's going to happen, full stop. It will either be completely abandoned or superceeded by an all new MA aquarium.
Falz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:53 AM   #9
trooper_trent
Registered

Originally posted by feldon28
The 3D background will have similar species to what it has now, plus a moving anemone, plus feather dusters. And it will be wider than even the 16:9 and pan back and forth (control with keyboard or disable panning in control panel).
hi, I actually stumbled in here because I was flipping through the channels and saw a home shopping network demo for a laptop computer with the screen saver (or very similar) and I wanted to find it. Long story short I made my way here.
my comment was that this screensaver that I just saw looked exactly like this and it did have a moving anemone(sp?) and the clown fish hiding in it. The other thing that was different was the background color changed from blue to pink to purple etc.
Is this the same screensaver or is there another comparable one?
Just browsing through the forums to find out, I get the impression that the moving background/anemone hasnt been released..but I just saw it.
any ideas?
Thanks
trooper_trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:09 AM   #10
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
Originally posted by trooper_trent
hi, I actually stumbled in here because I was flipping through the channels and saw a home shopping network demo for a laptop computer with the screen saver (or very similar) and I wanted to find it. Long story short I made my way here.
my comment was that this screensaver that I just saw looked exactly like this and it did have a moving anemone(sp?) and the clown fish hiding in it. The other thing that was different was the background color changed from blue to pink to purple etc.
Is this the same screensaver or is there another comparable one?
Just browsing through the forums to find out, I get the impression that the moving background/anemone hasnt been released..but I just saw it.
any ideas?
Thanks
To my knowledge, MA 3D Bakcgorund still in the very begining of development stage, what you saw migth be other similar SS, for moving 3D background with anemone, SimAquarium have it, but the crown fish won't interact with it though. Aqua Real is another one with detail fish movement but its background is static (but Aqua Garden has swaying plants), (find out more info about these two great SS in the "Other Screen Saver" forum section under "Offi topics")or you might seeing a hacked version of MA? or maybe other SS which use MA's coral background.

If you can go back to that demo laptop and try to find out more, then report back here to us about your finding, that'll be great.

PS: Maybe Jim just secrectly develop a 3D MA but keeping it form us, to surprise us in some day?
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:12 AM   #11
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Not likely, it most likely is another SS, which one will be hard to say.
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 03:51 PM   #12
riz
Registered

Haven't been around for a long time but what is up with the 3d background? I'm a little suprised Jim hasn't finished something he promised 4 years ago .. don't get me wrong, it was worth my money (and is still one of my favorite programs ever) but Jim, your product needs updating as the 2d background just doesn't cut it anymore

Is it still coming and when? other products and even your own freshwater aquarium are passing my old favorite by... is there news or is Marine Aquarium essentially already a 'finished' product?
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:33 AM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

Still struggling with the 3D background. Every morning I plow into 4 different books on shaders, and every evening I have to admit defeat. I may be too old to learn this stuff.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:49 AM   #14
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

I think you're only too old to learn when you decide to stop learning because you know everything. Hopefully you never take up this position.

Though certainly I've met people who seem to have held it for most of their lives.

Edit: But then I've never tried to make a 3-D background either
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:14 PM   #15
jimkraz
Registered

Aquazone Desktop Garden from Allume has a moving anemone with the clown fish moving in and out, it also changes colour as described, hope that helps trooper trent.
Something Fishy Going On
jimkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:04 AM   #16
Sergiales
Software Engineer

Defeated? that word doesn't exist in your vocabulary, Jim. I have to admit that latest versions of DX bring new concepts like pixel and vertex shaders that add a lot of realism. Nothing you can't learn about. Good luck!.
Sincerely,
Sergio.
Sergiales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:13 AM   #17
Jim Sachs
Developer

All the books I've found on shaders are either too broad or too specific. Some go into great detail about the assembly-language necessary to communicate with the shader registers, while others give a very general description of what a shader does. But there's a huge middle-ground missing. At the moment, I have no idea where all this assembly language would go in my Aquarium code.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:43 AM   #18
Flavour
Registered

Hi Jim,

I might be able to help you there. I was a professional video-games developer until three years ago and still have contacts which could help you with shaders etc.

I get you in touch etc. simply mail me if you're interested.
Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #19
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Hey Flavour, Welcome to the forums. Thanks for the offer. I'm sure Jim will get back to you one way or another.

Again, welcome.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:10 PM   #20
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Flavour:
Hi Jim,

I might be able to help you there. I was a professional video-games developer until three years ago and still have contacts which could help you with shaders etc.

I get you in touch etc. simply mail me if you're interested.  
Thank you for the generous offer. He won't take it, but it's appreciated just the same.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive