Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium
Notices

Old 01-31-2004, 12:58 PM   #1
aiaman
Registered

multiple fish

I would like to see an option to choose the number of fish per species. I always wanted to have a tank of schooling neons. Is this possible?
aiaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:33 PM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

You can choose multiples of the same fish already. But if you mean actually schooling fish, those hope to be included, but it will be a schooling species that you choose as one choice, not that you can make any fish in the aquarium school.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:26 AM   #3
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

When the aquarium is running, hit the A key, that will bring up the options menu, then hit the Fish tab and you can choose which fish you want to see, select which fish you want, then hit OK.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:32 AM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

Neons will school in groups of 3 (which count as 1 fish).
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 04:16 AM   #5
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Sorry to constantly be asking for more, Jim, – but will we be able to choose more than one trio of neons which then will form a larger school?

/Tiny Envelope-pusher
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:47 AM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

Maybe. I'll see how well the anti-collision algorithm works.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-02-2004, 10:05 AM   #7
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

That's good enough for me (heck, your school of three probably is just fine too).

/Tiny Confidence Boost
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 03:39 PM   #8
IXNAY
Green Frog

Nice
what are you currently working on Jim, are you still redoing the fish for MA?
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 04:29 PM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, still working on the darn Squarespot. I've tried several chanes to the texture, but the fish still doesn't look real to me.

The Rock Beauty, Blue-ring, and Emperor Angel turned out pretty well. The RedFin is weak.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-03-2004, 07:38 PM   #10
klyntun

Jim,
The Square Spot is the one that I never select for my tank. I'm glad to know that you didn't design the first one. I'm sure your version will be more real. Also glad to hear the Cardinal Tetras may be able to form a larger school than just three; though three schools of three would also be fine as even in a school the fish still remain individuals and do their own thing. And what's this about a butterfly tank? I can't wait!
Old 02-03-2004, 08:23 PM   #11
aiaman
Registered

multiple fish

yes I know that even fish are individuals but to get fish in a group or to even function as a group is the desired outcome.

I do not understand as to why there can not be more than 7 fish at any one time in the tank. The resolution or operation of the tank, as in real life, is directly related to the tank size, etc. Since my tank size is a P4 w/2.5Ghz I should have no issue in having more fish? Isn't there a way that we can select the number of fish per species? if the fish are friendly then we can have more than seven seperate fish with duplicates of chosen ones. Or provide an option to duplicate a randomly occuring number of he selected variety.
aiaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:04 PM   #12
klyntun

I think it has something to do with collision detection, as in the fish running into and through each other. However, Jim is the one to answer this.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:05 PM   #13
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

this has been explained in another thread long ago. But alot of it has to do with the collision avoidance routines used to keep the fish from causing each other problems. Imagine a bubble around each fish that moves with each fish. No bubble can touch another one, or cause a movement that looks unreal by its presence. It takes more space than you think it does. Its not just your video card that sets the limit.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:40 PM   #14
Jim Sachs
Developer

aiaman - If you run across a good collision-avoidance algorithm that would keep that many fish from passing through each other, let me know. As things stand now, even 7 fish can get into trouble, and pass-throughs do happen when two fish are nose-to-nose and blocked from behind by another fish.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-04-2004, 12:49 PM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I know it won't be a popular opinion, but I do think the Squarespot Anthias looks *realistic*. That said, it's not a fish I particularly favor. I much prefer the subtlety of a Green Chromis or Honey Damsel.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 01:36 PM   #16
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

I have to agree with you . I never did care much about that one , But I did have him in, just because he was different .
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:48 AM   #17
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

The purple square of the current version doesn't look real to me at all. It looks painted on it.
This picture looks great (Jim can you do that?):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 422.jpg (23.5 KB, 386 views)
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:28 AM   #18
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

wow . Look at all the colors . I like that guy a lot better .
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #19
Jim Sachs
Developer

That's the picture that I used to derive the latest experiment from. Because of the second light source which is illuminating the underside, it is't working very well.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-05-2004, 11:38 AM   #20
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg squarespotrework.jpg (36.8 KB, 356 views)
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium