Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 10-15-2002, 11:12 AM   #1
ArmandD
Registered

Screen blackout - Mac OSX

Occasionally, instead of the aquarium starting up, my screen goes black and apparently locks up! The bubble sound goes on and off for about 2 seconds on a 5-6 second cycle. I can see the pointer arrow, but that's all. I'm running Mac OSX on an iMac DV. I found on your FAQ somewhere a suggestion that this problem happens on this machine, and a suggestion to turn colors to the "thousands" mode as a fix, but I'm already in "thousands" mode. I had "conserve video memory" checked, so I unchecked that, but I don't know yet whether the problem has gone away or not, as it's only been a few days, and the problem is only occasional. It only occurs once every dozen startups or so. Has there been any progress in fixing this problem. I like the screen saver, but I'm afraid I may have to disable it, because this interferes with my productivity.
ArmandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 09:16 AM   #2
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

This sounds like the driver problem on iMac DVs. The thousands mode change only causes the driver problem to show up less often, it isn't a real fix.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 01:45 PM   #3
ArmandD
Registered

Blackout on iMac

Does the "conserve video memory" have any effect? (What does that do, anyway?) And is there anything from Apple that might help?
Old 10-18-2002, 03:41 PM   #4
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

The "economize video memory" setting is like changing to thousands mode. It doesn't "fix" the bug, but it may help trigger it less often. Apple is aware of the bug, and was able to repro it this past summer (game developers had complained of it for a long time). I haven't received word from Apple that they've fixed it though, or what their plans are.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 10-21-2002, 10:07 AM   #5
ArmandD
Registered

Screen Blackout - OS X

OK, but should I have the "economize video memory" checked or unchecked for the best results? Thank you for your help, by the way.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:30 PM   #6
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

"Economize" should be checked if you are having driver problems.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive