Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #41
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, we're communicating. You were pointing out that there is a lag when loading jpegs. While there's nothing I can do about the lag, I can do two things that will help.

1. Not allow jpegs to show up on the import list. The user could still load jpegs by typing the name in manually, if they know where the file is. Or they could just convert the logo to a PNG.

2. Add code to not load a file if the name is the same as the current file. That way, at least there will be no glitch when the timer runs out and the picture is still the same. I've already added this code, and it works fine here.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #42
Derrek
Registered

While I like the ease of loading jpgs I understand some may think the lag to load the jpg is unacceptable. I hate to suggest anything that would take would delay the clams any more since we are all waiting patiently for them.

Maybe disallow jpgs for now and put it on the 'to-do' list.
Maybe instead of doing the jpg to png conversion while the screensaver is active do it when the jpg is added to the logo list and then store the converted logo in the app folder. Again I don't even know of something like this is possible, just an idea.

I would venture that a vast majority of the users don't know what a png file is. Most plug their cameras in and download the pics as they are.
Derrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #43
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Are you decoding the JPEG into an image object in memory? Is this image object faster to display than going back and fetching the JPEG every time you display it? If so, I'd keep those in memory.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #44
Dale
Banned

Note: This reply is not intended to be a complaint.

In my view, since there is currently no documentation, users are "on their own". If they add a 1000x1000 .jpg and it loads slowly, it's reasonable to assume that either they will "not do that' or come to the forum for advice.

At some future time, when there is a FAQ and/or help file, the cautions, restrictions, and performance issues can be explained there. As well as the meanings of things like "random".

[Summary: the perceived problems are not in the functionality nor in the UI, they are in an area that has previously been addressed]
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #45
De Bobo Mon
Registered

OK I did just now realize that I was not compressing the image in question enough. It was around 340k. I compressed it down to around 47k. I did have it at 256x256 the whole time... just never thought to decrease the file size. The problem is greatly reduced as would be expected... it still takes a "hit" but it is like a 10th of a second so it is not as visible as before.

I would convert it to a PNG and will at home... just don't have a tool to do that with my system here at work.

Just providing this as additional information / observation
De Bobo Mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #46
Jim Sachs
Developer

Derrek - I think I will remove jpegs from the file filter for now. You can still load them, but they won't automatically show up in the Load requester. My program does not convert JPEGs to PNGs, whether it's active or not. It converts JPEGs directly to video memory. The user would be the one responsible for converting the files in a paint or file converter program. Loading in pics just as they came from the camera is totally unacceptabe, because they are HUGE (and not a square aspect-ratio).

Morgan - Yes, the Direct3D libraries decode JPEGs to video memory. I don't feel that it's a good idea to let them hang around, as they could quickly fill up memory, and cause all kinds of problems.

Dale - All true.

DeBoboMon - Yes, compressing tighter decreases the filesize, which helps some. But JPEGs use an incredibly complex algorithm to rebuild a picture, so there's always going to be a lot of overhead.

Just as a general comment - I consider the Aquarium to be incredibly easy to use compared to a lot of programs meant for the general public. Three hours ago, my wife asked me to put a ringtone on her iPhone. After going through dozens of pages of instructions on as many websites, as well as Apples's own "Help" system, I'm no closer than I was 3 hours ago.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #47
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Just as a general comment - I consider the Aquarium to be incredibly easy to use compared to a lot of programs meant for the general public. Three hours ago, my wife asked me to put a ringtone on her iPhone. After going through dozens of pages of instructions on as many websites, as well as Apples's own "Help" system, I'm no closer than I was 3 hours ago.  
Apple does not want you to make your own ringtones and put them on the iPhone. They want you to visit the iTunes store and buy a song in Ringtone format for $2 or whatever the price is.

iPhoneRingtoneMaker is the program I use. It's $7.50 to make unlimited ringtones out of any mp3 files you have laying around.

I have made ringtones out of Castlevania, the new Doctor Who, the TV show "Monk", etc. with it. Easy to adjust the Start and Stop point in each song and set fade-in fade-out times. 25 seconds is a good time limit by the way, most phones don't ring longer than that.

P.S. you really should shoot me a PM or something on these issues. I answer fast or try to.

P.P.S. Best apps for iPhone? Zenbe Lists. It's a website that you can update To Do lists and they sync with the iPhone. So you can add items to the list and they will show up on Zenbe app on the phone. She can make changes on the phone and it will show up on the website. Main thing we use it for is a Live Grocery List.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 02-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #48
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for the info. The ringtone I was trying to use is actually from Apple. When syncing the iPhone, a box popped up offering some free ringtones, so we got one. It shows up in the Ringtones section of Itunes, as well as the main library on the iPhone, but I just can't get it into the Ringtones directory of the iPhone, no matter where I drag it from.

Regarding that Zenbe app - I admire people who are organized enough to use To-Do lists, but I've never been able to find the time to make them

Another hour to put Beta9f together, then it's back to the clams.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #49
Rick Simon
Registered

3 Highscores

I'm totally open to suggestions, but I thought the playlist interfaces were pretty simple compared to the previous way of setting an alternate logo.  
Personally, I think the new interface is pretty simple to follow. The only suggestion I might make is to have the installer add the .png for your default logo into the MA3 appdata directory. While tinkering with the new interface I managed to drop the default logo off the list, then couldn't figure out how to add it back in if I wanted it. I eventually found out that if I dropped everything out of the list it would be automatically added back in, but that wasn't exactly intuitive.
Rick Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:52 PM   #50
cjmaddy
Registered

Cliff -
Clock: Are you saying that adding clocks into the logo rotation should not be an option? ... etc.

You are right about the contributers - I was surpirsed that the things which I considered so intuitive caused confusion. Well, at least this is the place to sort this stuff out before opening it up to wider release.  
A little confusion ?....

Clocks: Not have clocks in the logo rotation? - Correct!.. Why do we need a succession of changing clocks? ... Think about it!
... There must be more interesting logos than Changing Clocks! .... "Alt-C will make the switch permanent" - Good.

Logos: "Adding a space in the listbox" ?? - Whoops! - that's my use of English. - How about, '...Then have an area/location/place etc, in the settings panel, where you can add the specified type of user logos, that would then be shown in turn by using the L key.' ... How's that?

Music: ? - Those who want music, have every right to it, and I shall always defend that right! .... But this is an Aquarium, - Not an iPod!

Never underestimate the chances of being misunderstood! ... Keep up the good work!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #51
henemly
asdf

(BTW -I just got another email from someone who wanted me to put his logo on the side of a fish!)  
That is to funny! "billboard fish", LOL.

I'd like to have the logo display time be able to accept parts of a second,
like .33 for a third of a second, etc. With a 1 second minimum, animated logos
would not be possible.

(the parts of a second would be manually edited in the file)
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #52
Jim Sachs
Developer

Cliff - OK, I get want you're saying now. I disagree about allowing clocks in the rotation, though. I like the idea of:
"Logo1"
"Logo2"
"Logo3"
"Oh, by the way, it's quitting time"
"Logo 4"
"Today's your anniversary"...

Henemly - Too much work for now. I'm ready to get back to the clams.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #53
harris
Registered

Thumbs Up

Hopefully future posts about beta bugs, complaints, comments, etc, are posted the same as in beta 9e. ALL comments about 9e stays in a thread titled Beta 9e, and ALL comments about 9f stays in a thread titled Beta 9f and so on.

It makes it sooo much easier to track relevant, version specific issues.

Last edited by harris; 02-23-2009 at 08:15 PM.
harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #54
Jim Sachs
Developer

Wouldn't THAT be nice?
Jim Sachs
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #55
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
[b]Why do we need a succession of changing clocks?  
Because this was the default behavior of Marine Aquarium Time. Tens of thousands of installed copies of Marine Aquarium Time/Logo in corporate offices all over the U.S. are set like this.

MA3 needs to be able to do the same thing.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #56
Jim Sachs
Developer

Listening to Cliff on the subject Playlists is like asking me which is my favorite Adam Sandler movie (or seafood restaurant)
Jim Sachs
Old 02-24-2009, 05:17 AM   #57
cjmaddy
Registered

Trying to second guess what people here really mean is getting obscure...

Jim,- your comment begs the questions, are you an Adam Sandler fan, (whoever he is), and do you have a seafood allergy?

Morgan, - that type of behaviour is there because it's possible, not because we need it.

harris, - if only!

.... I've nothing against having, 'A clock!'. - Does it really need an option to change in sequence, and the order in that sequence be optionally random, and the duration of each showing be individually variable? - In addition to changes of colour, style, fonts, animation, what day the week starts, and who's religion's calendar we follow?

If the answer to those is yes, then the world and this aquarium have gone mad!

..... Though animated corals in the 3D background would be a novel feature.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:59 AM   #58
clifdene
Registered

Don't worry Cliff, we might have the clams by October.
clifdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:12 AM   #59
rctneil
Registered

My suggestion, is get the aquarium mostly complete. By that I mean:

Fully animated corals
New fish models
New fish behavior, (pecking at coral, schooling, darting)
start on a creature pack

and then add the extra fine details to clock/calendar.

or even do a bit of the real aquarium stuff, then a bit of the clock calendar and then back to another bit of the aquarium so both get done at the same time.

All those minor options would be great to have in the settings but at this point in time we have a crystal with clock/calendar and logo in their basic customisable form so get the rest complete like i mentioned above and then all those options can be added in the future.

Thanks

Regards,
Neil
rctneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #60
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
Jim,- your comment begs the questions, are you an Adam Sandler fan, (whoever he is), and do you have a seafood allergy?  
If you read Jim's post and seriously came to those conclusions then that explains a lot.

His statement was classic dry British humor and I do not for one second believe that it went over your head (or that you don't know who Adam Sandler is).

Jim does not eat fish or any seafood of any type. I jokingly say it is professional courtesy but it is a personal preference of his. When I visited him in Calif. one of the topics which came up (since I love food of all types) was his eating preferences. The catalogue of things that Jim will not eat is legion.

As for Adam Sandler I leave that to others to explain.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows