Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 06-03-2001, 01:38 PM   #1
Jim Sachs
Developer

New Demo Version

The free demo version of the Aquarium was almost a hear old, and needed updating, so I have done so. It now uses the same amount of video memory as the real version, so if the demo works, the real one should too.

By the way, I'm thinking of eliminating the Basic version. The Basic/Upgrade/Deluxe system has caused a lot of trouble since I began selling the Aquarium. The main reason for the Basic (3-fish) version was the fact that some cards didn't have enough memory for 7 fish, but now the user can just use the Deluxe version and turn off some fish until he gets a better card.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 05:52 PM   #2

Re: Basic version to die?

Hmm so how would you work that?

either tell the basic users sorry but there will be no updates for you any more (upsetting them) after all you cannot expect them to pay for the deluxe version if they don't want it

or tell them you can have the deluxe version for free (upsetting the Deluxe users who paid more)

hey sounds like you're adding a can of worms to your screensaver
Old 06-04-2001, 07:56 PM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: New Demo Version

.99K has every feature the Basic people will EVER see.

Anyone who is a registered Basic user can get .99K and use their 3 fish.

And Basic is phased out in the future so no more Basic users will be added.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 11:33 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

The Basic version was never intended to include upgrades, except for bug fixes. Existing Basic users would be given the opportunity to upgrade, but privately, not on the website.

The three buttons on the Purchase page have been a source of confusion since the beginning. A large number of people press the Upgrade button when they don't have a Basic Key, then they complain that their Key Code doesn't do anything. So I add a lot of text explaining exactly what an Upgrade Code does. Now the Purchase page is so cluttered that it puts off a lot of customers (and many people STILL go straight for the Upgrade button).

Everyone I talk to about this recommends the simpler sales model of a single version and single button. I have resisted, because I would have liked to keep a low-priced option for people who can't afford the Deluxe version, but the Basic version actually accounts for a very small percentage of sales.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 01:48 PM   #5
Socrates
Sage

Jim,

I was thinking about this.

Could you just take away the Upgrade button from the web page and move it inside the program? You could have a button that only appears with a basic key code in the options menu. You could mention this on your site, but it would be impossible for any one to accidentally buy an upgrade code.

The button could take the basic user to a special purchase page that normal browsers would not be likely to find.

This keeps a cheaper option available. I don't know if it's worth it in time & money, but I suspect that once the Screen Saver goes version 1.0 that a lot of the "simpleton" type users would be more willing to buy it. "Simpleton" type users aren't likely to install anything that indicates "Preview" or "beta" and they aren't likely to be upgrading hardware every 3 months so they would mostly not benefit from all the fish and creatures.

This is just my 2cents and I'm sorry if I'm sticking my nose in your business. We all act like we are share holders demanding you to bend to our will all the time. It's a great piece of work, and I have never owned any program that I checked on a daily basis for upgrades, news, and fan comments before.

Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 02:04 PM   #6
Shinsa
Registered

"...We all act like we are share holders demanding you to bend to our will all the time. It's a great piece of work, and I have never owned any program that I checked on a daily basis for upgrades, news, and fan comments before. "

...DITTOS!
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 06-06-2001, 05:40 PM   #7
FrogMastr
Agalychnis callidryas

heheh same here... looks like this program had became an obcession for us....

It it now a Cultural thing.... ))))))

this Program is bound to become the First Classic of the new millenium ... i am sure it will be remember in 20 years!

Just like we can Remember Flying Toasters, and MAC's Pyro!
----
FrogMastr
FrogMastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive