Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 05-21-2001, 12:23 AM   #1
feldon34
Forum Administrator

vertical sync

what is it......and what does it do if i have it on or off?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 01:04 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: verticle sync

V-sync forces the card to wait until a frame is finished displaying before beginning to update it with the next frame. This insures smooth animation without the jittering and tearing that IBM-compatibles have always been prone to.

Other computers like the Mac, Amiga, and even Commodore 64 have always included hardware to determine where the electron beam is on the screen at any given instant, so software could determine when it was safe to update part or all of the screen. But IBMs did not, so video card makers built it into their own hardware.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 12:45 AM   #3

v-sync

well I have a Compaq presario 5002Us with a nvidia vanta LT Graphics card........should I turn my v-sync on or off?.....I play games on pc as well. Will this setting effect my gameplay graphics?
Old 05-22-2001, 02:01 AM   #4
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

v-sync

If vsync is enabled, the video card will wait until the monitor is done 'writing' the image on the screen. If the vsync is disabled, the video card will output images as fast as it can to the monitor.

With vsync on, you might notice that the FPS may be limited because the video card has to wait for the monitor. Games might become a little jerky. I seriously doubt you will see any of that since your video card is not that fast. Your monitor is probably faster than your video card. I never noticed any gain in FPS when I had vsync off with my 3DBlaster Banshee since it was so slow. Though, there was tearing.

With vsync off, you might notice that games have tearing. When playing a game, look at a tree or something that has a vertical edge. The object will be mis-aligned. The top half will be offset from the bottom half.

With my GeForce2 GTS and my old 17" monitor, I can run the aquarium at 1024x768 and get 200 FPS. With Vsync on, I get 85 FPS. It just so happens that my monitor did 85Hz. My video card is waiting for my monitor to finish 'drawing' the image on my screen then, the video card will give the monitor another frame to 'draw'.

If you want your video card to output the frames in the aquarium as fast as it can then, disable the vsync option. You 'might' notice some of the above problems in games but I doubt it.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 05:14 AM   #5

v-sync

well I turned it off and still did not gain any fps. Im running a constant 42 fps with 7 fish at 800x600........is this good?........anyone know what is the best video card for a compaq presario 5002us, and whats the cost?
Old 05-22-2001, 07:29 AM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: v-sync

42fps at 800x600 on an nVidia Vanta. That sounds about right.

The fastest video card you can get for a PC is a GeForce 3. It's $400. Now that we've discussed things you're NOT likely to get (I certainly can't afford one!), I'd consider a GeForce 2 MX.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 03:01 AM   #7

Well I have been reading these threads abou turning off this VSYNC for a while now. Every now and then I look for a VYSNC but never find it.

My card is NVIDIA TNT2 Pro 16mg, running ME. I have checked all the tabs in CONTROL PANEL > DISPLAY > SETTINGS > etc... Nope!
Old 05-28-2001, 07:31 AM   #8
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

keyplyr,

It depemds on what drivers you are using, the drivers that came with most older cards didn't have those options at the time. You can try some other drivers, or you cam download a video card tweaking program that has all the options included. I use Nvmax. It is a program for use with all Nvidia chipsets. It can be downloaded from here www.nvmax.com
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 12:06 AM   #9

Thanks, Jav400
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive