Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 06-13-2001, 01:55 AM   #1
Shinsa
Registered

Problem when acting as a "screen saver"

Using version "K" the screen saver will allow error message from other programs to override the screen saver, minimizing it. When this happens, the screen saver will not come back up after the time limit set for the screen saver to activate.

Also, the only time the screen saver password works is when switching from full screen to windowed mode. The escape key and mouse, exit without the need of a password. Has this already been addressed?
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 06-13-2001, 10:43 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Re: Problem when acting as a "screen saver"

Shinsa,

I also have found that in using an answering system with version "k" that when it activates and minimizes the SS it does not reactivate after the alloted time has past. I will mention this to Jim.

As to the password feature, I know that Jim has had problems in the past with certain Operating Systems, namely Win98, with the password and the resume modes. I personally use Win98SE and haven't had any problems with either. Jim is continually working on this to try and assure positive results, but it is difficult to track down when the problem only shows up on various systems and not all.

I have noticed some differences as I have been experimenting with different driver versions though, and have found Det3 6.47 to be the most stable. I am currently trying the new Det3 12.41 WHQL from nvidia.com. I have only been using them for a few days now, but have noticed a slight 2-3 fps increase at 1600x1200.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 11:44 AM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

When the Aquarium minimizes, it is still running, so it will not let another screensaver start up. I will look into forcing it to restore itself when the timer counts down, but this could take a while since it involves several issues that are beyond me. At the moment, I have no idea how to even access that timer.

Regarding the password issue, it works fine on all my systems here, so I suspect a driver problem.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 03:14 PM   #4
Shinsa
Registered

Jim, Michael,

I am using Win98SE version 4.10.2222A

Also, I am using a Voodoo 5 5500. I have ALL the drivers released for that card, so I will try each one, and see what happens. I am assuming you refer to the video driver, Jim?

I suppose I'll also reinstall DX8 after each driver change. After reading about the nVidia problems others have had, sounds like I might need to try that as well.

Thanks all.

Bob !7:^)
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 06-13-2001, 04:29 PM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, the video drivers are what I was talking about.

I have a VooDoo 5500 card around here somewhere. I'll try to install it in the next couple of days and see if I can reproduce your problem.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive