Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #21
Jim Sachs
Developer

The old program used a background picture, while the new one builds a much bigger tank out of 3D objects. That old background picture was 1024x768 - very high-res for the world of 640x480 monitors that were the norm 10 years ago. A few months later, wide-screen monitors began showing up, so I added a 256-pixel patch, bringing the size of the background picture to 1280x1024. I never intended for the widescreen version to be used on narrow monitors. The Anamorphic settings were put in so that the user could adjust the image to make up for differences in monitor frequencies, so that the image covered the whole screen WITHOUT any black areas. I never intended for people to use it for letterboxing the widescreen version onto a narrow monitor. For those who are afraid of burn-in, leaving black areas of the screen would be the quickest way to it.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #22
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I know the perfect compromise here. There's a very simple (though not free) solution to how Harlan is going to be able to see all fish simultaneously and yet not have to suffer the seasick-inducing panning: Buy a second (widescreen) monitor.

Jim,
A typical monitor ten years ago was 1024x768 - VGA was the norm before Win95, i.e. 15 years ago.
Widescreen monitors on the other hand became available in 2003 or so.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #23
Jim Sachs
Developer

I should have clarified what I said a little more - 3D apps were almost always 640x480 (or 320x240). Anything higher would usually result in abysmal frame rates. By making mine 1024x768 I figured I'd have the resolution edge for years to come.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #24
Bob
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
By making mine 1024x768 I figured I'd have the resolution edge for years to come.  
That's OK. Bill Gates thought 640K memory would be more than anyone would ever need.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #25
mrcomngo
Registered

Hello Jim, I'm brand new at this aspect ( though I've been using MA for years -it's terrific). I'm not quite sure how to make comments & suggestions, but just incase this is getting to the right place, I have noticed a small cave over on the left side and I think it would be great to see a small octopus, or an elec. eel emerge from time to time, or maybe it could be user's choice as to what emerges and what it does.
mrcomngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #26
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
An eel has always been planned. The cave is actually open-ended at the back on the right side, so anything living in there can get completely out of sight if it wants. When I have created several different cave-dwelling critters, the user will be able to choose which of them will be used.  
I would expect a Moray Eel first.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #27
Jim Sachs
Developer

Hi, mrcomngo - Welcome to the Forum.

It looks like Morgan just answered your question.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #28
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Remember this clue! At this moment.. it looks like the eel will be the first to call the cave home
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #29
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Jim said years ago that he would try to get me a Zebra Moray in there for my years of service here. I'm hoping that he can.

I would dearly love to see this in that cave!!!

Zebra Moray Feeding
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #30
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

To me the best part of the entire aquarium is next! What I really want from the aquarium isn't neccecarily the most spectacular fish but realistic ones. I'd rather have just a yellow tang and a powder blue tang looking like they actually live inside the monitor than say 250 different species available, but swimming around like dumb robots. Heck, I'd settle for a realistic herring as long as it's realistic enough.

Originally posted by Bob:
That's OK. Bill Gates thought 640K memory would be more than anyone would ever need.  
Actually, he never said that.

Mike,
Don't you think he'd want a smaller shrimp?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #31
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Calle,

That's not the one I had of course, mine was larger before I finally lost him, but actually that's exactly the way I fed mine. Other than I fed mine by hand.

But basically eels don't eat every day. They can go days between feedings, so I figured I wanted mine to eat fresh, not something frozen or freeze dried from a can or jar, so I went to the local Kroger's at the time and bought a few fresh shrimp once a week ( when he was little I got small shrimp and later he ate jumbo tiger shrimp ) and Harvey was happy.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #32
Bob
Registered

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
Actually, he never said that.  
I know. But some urban legends deserve to live on.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 AM   #33
The Old Man
Registered

Not sure if this is the right topic, but I think a Marine Aquarium Blog updated by Jim would be a great idea, making it easy to keep up to date with developments and behind the scenes news, particularly via RSS subscription.

These are great and friendly forums and I wouldn't want to detract from what they are brilliant at (allowing people to ask questions and get support), but Jim's gems (!) and caveats are sometimes hidden away amongst and inside the very many topics here.

Anyway, thanks again for all the hard work!
Bought MA3 Beta on previously for Vista and now running it on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with an Nvidia GTX650Ti powering a 22" monitor and it's stunning!
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:55 AM   #34
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, that's sort of what I've always done with the News section of my website: http://www.fish-byte.com/news2.htm
Jim Sachs
Old 06-01-2009, 04:54 AM   #35
The Old Man
Registered

That's brilliant, just the ticket!

If you imported your updates into something like a Wordpress blog we could subscribe via RSS and see when you've posted an updated so that we don't miss it!

I reckon you could have a great Marine Aquarium blog, I can almost picture it with a nice header taken from the actual Aquarium, maybe a fish of the month content block or something!

Its all good fun!
Bought MA3 Beta on previously for Vista and now running it on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with an Nvidia GTX650Ti powering a 22" monitor and it's stunning!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #36
rctneil
Registered

RSS updates would be excellent. I use RSS all the time on my desktop, netbook also my PDA now!
rctneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:37 AM   #37
The Old Man
Registered

Me too Neil, I use them on the iGoogle homepage to track updates on all my favourite sites.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #38
cjmaddy
Registered

A Marine Aquarium blog that we could all subscribe to???

..... I thought that was what this forum has been for, - for the past ten years or so!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:06 AM   #39
rctneil
Registered

RSS is more about the news coming direct too you and not you going to the news!

The forums are more a community chat, conversation style thing but if a blog was set up with an RSS feed associated with it then all the little tips and insights into the development of MA3 can be maintained and not get lost within pages and pages of forum discussion.

Thanks

Regards,
Neil
rctneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 AM   #40
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

The reason the forum is here is because Jim would rather spend his time programming and working on the aquarium than maintaining 14 other info sites about his work. Personally I would rather he spend the time working on the aquarium as well.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows