Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 03-17-2018, 02:31 AM   #1
Willabong
Registered

Serial number not sticking?

I enter the Aquarium version 3+ serial code, select the fish I want to see (16 in all), then run the screensaver and all works correctly for several days (sometimes a couple of weeks.
Then afer a week or two of running normally, the program reverts to a demo, and I have to re-enter the serial number and re-select the fish? This happens regularly!
I am running Windows 10 home edition with an AMD Radion high definition graphics card and 32 gig of ram on dual 24 inch monitors with 3 hard drives, two internal (1 ter and 2 ter) and one external 2 ter.
Willabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

When did you buy the Key Code? Send me a private message with your info, and I'll see what I can find out.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
GLS432
Registered

Angry

There doesn't seem to be any resolution on this. I just wanted to add that I have the same problem. Every now and then, the program forgets that it's registered and returns to the defaults. I have to re-enter the registration code and recreate the fish selection. Running Windows 10 Home (1803).
GLS432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
Scandy
Registered

I had that problem too, My serial number would only last about a week, and I had to keep re-entering it. It has been a long time since I fixed the problem, but I think it was related to installing the screen saver with administrator privileges.

Uninstall the screen saver. Re-boot your computer (not sure if necessary, but why not). Right click on the MarineAquarium3.exe install file and select 'Run as administrator'. After installation enter your serial number (if it is not already registered).
Scandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:46 PM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for the info, Scandy.
Jim Sachs
Old 10-23-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
GLS432
Registered

Scandy: Thanks for the reply. I've reinstalled as you suggested. Since the problem is sporadic and unpredictable, there's no way to tell whether the fix worked unless the serial number is lost again. I'll post back if it fails again, and if my increasingly porous memory allows, if it doesn't fail over a sufficiently long period.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
Vinz Clortho
Servant of Zool

Uninstalling and reinstalling with administrator privileges has not worked for me.
Vinz Clortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:05 AM   #8
Vish
Registered

I am also running into the same issue....the serial number is not sticking...I have to enter it everytime it kicks in!!

The only thing that is new for me is that I upgraded to Windows 10.
I installed my goldfish screensaver as well...that had the same issue...

On a side note, I noticed I have been owner of this screen saver for over 16 years now!
--Vish
Vish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #9
DH13127
Registered

Same problem

Hello, I bought it today, and I have the same problem, even if I install it in administrator mode...
DH13127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #10
Jim Sachs
Developer

Are you absolutely positive you entered the Key Code correctly? Did you enter it manually, or cut and paste it from the confirmation email?
Jim Sachs
Old 01-11-2019, 07:03 AM   #11
s.winterstein
Registered

Same issue here: the keycode would not stick after I installed the new 3.3 version.

Keycode is correct (from my user account a Prolific Publishing) and pasted.
s.winterstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

Make sure that an extra [space] didn't get picked up with the cut-and-paste.

This symptom (running normally a few times, then requiring the Key Code again) is what happens with a bad Key Code. The theory being that if someone uses a bootleg Key Generator, it will seem to work for a random number of tries, then start requiring a Key again.

The only other thing I can think of is that Microsoft might have changed something in the Registry format so that the Aquarium is looking in the wrong place. The last few updates to Win 10 have broken several of the programs on my older computer.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #13
Tiki

Fix ... for me. (Windows 10)

Concerning the Re-entry of key issues. Today I purchased v3.3 for windows and installed it as admin with antivirus turned off and rebooted. I also had the same issues. Upon a quick look at the registry, it appears that the regcode is copied to 3 locations, but one of the locations is not updating the regcode. This is a design flaw in the program and not a Windows thing. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with all the updates - today is 1/12/2019.

Regedit keys go here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SereneScreen\MarineAqua rium3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SereneScre en\MarineAquarium3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1*********-16********-********6-**00\Software\SereneScreen\MarineAquarium3

...but the regcode is not getting written to the HLM (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) section.

I copied it there from HCU and all is working fine now.

Hope this gets fixed on v3.4

Cheers!

-Galo
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #14
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The Aquarium is supposed to write to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SereneScren\MarineAqua rium3 key and then Windows automagically stores it in the WOW6432Node and reads from that when talking to 32-bit applications.

If the Aquarium is not using the correct C++ programming, this could explain the problem.

The folks who are having problems -- are you on 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 10?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:44 AM   #15
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Interesting on my Widows 7 machine there is nothing at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SereneScren\MarineAqua rium3 (Typos noted) but instead find mine at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SereneScre en\MarineAquarium3 but the RegCode just shows 0000 00 . The data between the 00 and "." is hidden.

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.

Last edited by Ralph; 01-14-2019 at 07:47 AM. Reason: adjust format a bit.. seems white space is automatically removed
Ralph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #16
Vinz Clortho
Servant of Zool

I have entered the data into the relevant key and I will let you know if it gives me any further problems. It is working so far. Thanks Tiki.
Vinz Clortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #17
StuDisney
Registered

Keycode

are any of you who are having this probum runing Cclener , maybe it is removing the key code
"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children."

“Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional”
StuDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:44 AM   #18
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I use C Cleaner all the time and it doesn't bother mine, so I would guess that would be a special case.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #19
GLS432
Registered

Since the reinstall on 10/28, the serial number has stuck, even through the update from 1803 to 1809. This is a 64-bit Windows 10 installation.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #20
Jim Sachs
Developer

Glad to hear it.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows