Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 06-16-2003, 12:04 AM   #881
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

The guy who made the five recent fish,Will he be making anymore soon?Is there anymore people going to be adding any?
GreenHsiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:22 AM   #882
feldon34
Forum Administrator

That is one of the mysteries of the Sphinx. I haven't heard anything about Ken or anyone else doing more in the near future.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:53 PM   #883
phauxxee
Banned

Exclamation Any Plans For Green Vegetation?

I'm really so far behind all of you on suggestions and ideas, so this may not even be relevent now, but... I've been looking through all the past forum posts to see if there has been much mentioned about this. There were a few a year ago and I thought maybe it might be interesting to bring up again.

About 15 years ago I had a 60 gal. saltwater tank. It was a live rock, gobies and damsel tank with semi-fine crushed coral for the bottom. The colors of the fish were wonderful, but I really wanted something green in my tank. My local aquarium shop offered me what he called a 'weed' and if I wanted to take the time to control it, it was probably what would do the job for me. It was called Caulerpa taxifolia and was very pretty, a lively green color with long frowny leaves. I took home a 3x3 patch of this and wove it through a large piece of dead coral I had as decoration. Within 6 months that thing grew all over and through the coral, swaying gently and adding the perfect accent I was looking for into my saltwater world. It was easy enough to pluck off tuffs of it while cleaning the tank to keep it down to the shape and size I wanted. My local aquarium shop also took back anything extra (for free though)

Anyway, here is a more scientific look at this lovely 'weed', if more information and some nice pics would be helpful to decide whether or not it's a possible candidate for future add-ons?
Sorry to post a link rather than images, but I'm not sure who would allow their photos to be shared here or go about getting permission, so heres the sites url instead:

http://www.sbg.ac.at/ipk/avstudio/pi...t/caulerpa.htm
phauxxee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:17 PM   #884
klyntun

After visiting this link, I'm reminded of a science fiction book I read once, entitled "The Lord's Pink Ocean." This algae is green, however. Sounds nice for a salt water tank, bad for anywhere else. The MA could definitely benefit from some plants, IMO, and this is a beauty.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:45 PM   #885
phauxxee
Banned

Angry

I don't remember the frowns growing taller than 4 inches, and the fish seemed to enjoy sweeping over them too. Other than trying to shrink and simulate the lush kelp forests in southern California, I agree and am glad you think so too, klyntun
Old 06-23-2003, 06:56 PM   #886
Jim Sachs
Developer

I'd be open to the possibility of using this in the 3D background. I would need to see some in real life, though.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 07:13 PM   #887
phauxxee
Banned

That's wonderful to hear, Jim!
I hope you are able to locate some in an aquarium shop near you. I hale from southern California and found mine in a little mom & pops shop in a tiny town called Calimesa near the mountains. Every week or so he would go down to the fish suppliers somewhere around L.A or San Diego I think. I just wish I had the ability to take care of a 'real' aquarium again, but disabilities prevent it, so finding your computer creation has brought back my love of the hobby all over again... and I don't have clean the tank to enjoy it again, hehe.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:21 PM   #888
feldon34
Forum Administrator

"Southern California", "near the mountains" and "around L.A." are pretty close to Jim.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 06-23-2003, 09:21 PM   #889
phauxxee
Banned

Only if 70 miles inland is close
Old 06-24-2003, 06:18 AM   #890
Wizwad
Only me...

It's a very pretty plant. I think 'weed' is pretty much an understatement, though. I saw a programme a few years ago on the destruction this plant is wreaking in the Mediterranean, and around the Californian coast and I think 'pernicious menace' is a much more applicable term!

That said, somehow I think it'll be a bit more manageable in software form - unless it mutates into a virus and brings down the global infrastructure! I'm just saying!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:09 AM   #891
Jim Sachs
Developer

Phauxxee - I went to the Calimesa shop about 4 years ago when I was first starting the Aquarium program. I'll take another look. I'm at Lake Arrowhead, so it's the second-closest saltwater store to me.
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 06-24-2003 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:29 PM   #892
phauxxee
Banned

Wizard, this is what I am so excited about this program, no worries about changing water, testing, siphoning gravel, scraping the glass or worrying about diseases! This plant will be perfect for a computer tank. I’ve been checking out some other ‘green’ possibilities, but non are as nice looking uniform ally as this one is

Jim, you are in the mountains!
It's been quite a lot longer than 4 years for me since I've been to that little shop, but maybe he can get some for you by request. He was always really nice about that with me. I didn't make a lot of requests, but when I saw something in my magazines I really was interested in he'd try to get it his next trip down to the suppliers.

I'll scout around on the web sites to see if there aren't any suppliers and where they might be located. IF I find anything I'll post it here for you if you like. That's about my limits in being able to travel any more these days
Old 06-24-2003, 05:50 PM   #893
phauxxee
Banned

Big Grin Found Recemt News On Caulerpa taxifolia

Jim, the very first site I chose to check out on our pretty green marine plant is not good news, I'm afraid. Here's the url, it's a pdf file:

http://www.swrcb.ca.gov/rwqcb9/progr...eet%202-03.pdf

Here's what the first 2 paragraphs has to say (dated February 2003):

"The problem: The aquarium strain of Caulerpa
taxifolia is an extremely invasive seaweed that is
currently infesting tens of thousands of acres in the
Mediterranean Sea and has now been found in two
coastal water bodies in southern California.
Aquarium use: Due to its fast-growing, hardy nature
and attractive appearance, C. taxifolia is used as a
decorative saltwater aquarium plant. The variety of
this species cultured for use in aquaria, known as the
“aquarium strain,” tolerates colder water and grows
more rapidly than the native strain. The native strain is not known to be invasive, and is genetically distinct from the aquarium strain. It is now illegal to possess, sell, or transport C. taxifolia in California."

It seems this plant may have to be obtained over the border in another state. I wonder if it can be purchased through mail-order.... or maybe not, I guess that's what they mean by 'transport' (?)

Last edited by feldon34; 06-24-2003 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:36 PM   #894
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It's funny that the Freshwater will have and the Saltwater may have the most out-of-control plants ever seen. Both chosen purely for their appearance, not invasiveness.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:29 PM   #895
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

Will there be a clock in the 3-d background?
Which fish thats already in the aquarium is considered small enough to be in a school of fish in the 3-d background?
GreenHsiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:34 PM   #896
feldon34
Forum Administrator

GreenHsiF said:
Will there be a clock in the 3-d background?
There will likely be a unified version with the 3D background supporting single monitor, widescreen, dual monitor, logo/crystal, and clock/calendar depending on your keycode(s).

GreenHsiF said:
Which fish thats already in the aquarium is considered small enough to be in a school of fish in the 3-d background?
The answer to that question is simple:

None.

The schooling fish will likely be a trio of Banggai Cardinals.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:08 PM   #897
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Jim,

It's common knowledge that you plan to upgrade the fish AI to reflect each species individual habits and personalities which also includes an eel that would come out of it's coral hiding place at night when the lights go down. On that note, how about the other species at night? Have you considered giving them more timid or aggressive AI based on the change in lighting? Perhaps some species could do the opposite of the eel and go into hiding to avoid him? Or did you already mention that in some obscure post elsewhere on the forum that I might have missed?
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:32 PM   #898
Jim Sachs
Developer

Hadn't really thought about it, but it might be a good idea.
Jim Sachs
Old 07-02-2003, 05:38 AM   #899
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

The Octopus should hide when he is out, they are a favorite snack of eels. Could be a good reason for an ink squirt and poof
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 06:05 AM   #900
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Originally posted by Jav400
The Octopus should hide when he is out, they are a favorite snack of eels. Could be a good reason for an ink squirt and poof
Uhmm, well then should they be in the same tank or at the same time. Might have more of 'nature' than we bargarin for. You think?
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows