Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #21
Dale
Banned

I do have a question, and also some comments about your current configuration:

Question: What "Display Settings" do you have, for MA3? Automatic? Wait for Vertical Sync?

Comments:

1. I suspect that Rivatuner does not work with W7-64 (without a "UAC" hack).

2. Having multiple antivirus/antispam/security applications on the same PC is deprecated.

3. "plus some system monitoring (windows) gadgets" - any chance of those causing problems?
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #22
JohnWho
Registered

Concur -

try disabling one at a time (re-boot between each) and see if you can find a conflict.
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #23
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by JohnWho:
Concur -

try disabling one at a time (re-boot between each) and see if you can find a conflict.  
Uninstalling, with a reboot before testing MA3, would be the best way to "disable" one of these.

But actually, I suspect that uninstalling Boinc and rebooting will fix the problem.

(That's alternative 2).

Alternative 1: (Since not much has been installed on this system - no games, etc. etc.) would be:

Do a fresh install of Windows 7-64. Don't add any other drivers, etc. Let the video just use the Windows 7 stuff to start with.

Install MA3 don't change any options, and see if it works. If it doesn't work correctly (exits properly, etc.), then we know something.

Assuming that MA3 works properly, install the "other stuff" one thing at a time, testing MA3 operation at each stage. For each "thing", make absolutely sure you have the latest program/driver version. In particular, try to check to see if the version is compatible with W7-64.

Perhaps this will identify which program is causing the conflict. If not, you'll have a system that has everything just the way it now is, and MA3 exits properly.

In any case, we will all have learned something. And that whole operation shouldn't take more than a few hours.

I know that sounds like a lot of trouble - but it's probably less trouble and effort than you have spent trying to solve the problem, so far.

[If you have some way to do it, of course doing a complete system backup before doing the fresh (format the hard drive) install of Windows 7, would be an excellent thing to do]
Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #24
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
There's really not much that can be done on this end. To exit, a program sends a WM_CLOSE command. After that it's all up to Windows.  
Jim, pure speculation (because we don't have adequate diagnostics yet). Could this be related to the fact that MA3 goes from full screen to windowed mode just before exiting?

https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...d.php?p=109616

I'm not suggesting this is a bug in MA3 (it should work OK that way) - just trying to diagnose the problem.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #25
Jim Sachs
Developer

It's concievable.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:42 AM   #26
Arahanto
Registered

thanks for all the suggestions guys. i'll start with disabling running apps, then the gadgets. redoing the OS itself is more difficult, and which i'm not thrilled about doing. that will be a last resort. also, i did change the settings in ma3: load 1 of each fish, but no waiting for v-sync (i believe that's default). ma3 video setting is automatic. there is one more possibility we haven't considered: hdmi audio. when i try to exit, the audio continues to play.

dale: you can have as many anti-malware apps as you want but only one active monitor at a time, like one antivirus and one antispyware that has an active monitor (like spyware doctor). the superantispyware version i'm using is the free one which does not have real-time scanning. that's threatfire's job. and comodo handles firewall and av.

update: well, i tried disabling all gadgets (didn't work), i tried disabling all startup apps (didn't work), i tried disabling hdmi audio (didn't work). all those resets for nothing maybe one day i'll get fed up enough to try a reinstall, but not today. does anyone else have an hdtv they can set up like me and try and report back?

Last edited by Arahanto; 02-04-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Arahanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #27
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Arahanto:
thanks for all the suggestions guys. i'll start with disabling running apps, then the gadgets. redoing the OS itself is more difficult, and which i'm not thrilled about doing. that will be a last resort. also, i did change the settings in ma3: load 1 of each fish, but no waiting for v-sync (i believe that's default). ma3 video setting is automatic. there is one more possibility we haven't considered: hdmi audio. when i try to exit, the audio continues to play.

dale: you can have as many anti-malware apps as you want but only one active monitor at a time, like one antivirus and one antispyware that has an active monitor (like spyware doctor). the superantispyware version i'm using is the free one which does not have real-time scanning. that's threatfire's job. and comodo handles firewall and av.

update: well, i tried disabling all gadgets (didn't work), i tried disabling all startup apps (didn't work), i tried disabling hdmi audio (didn't work). all those resets for nothing maybe one day i'll get fed up enough to try a reinstall, but not today. does anyone else have an hdtv they can set up like me and try and report back?  
1. Disabling can be quite different from uninstalling, which can be quite different from not having installed something in the first place.

2. Did you reboot between each "disable", as JohnWho suggested?

3. Did you uninstall Boinc? You didn't mention that.

4. Yes, I understand about multiple anti-malware applications, and I don't think that's your problem - but it's still deprecated by most experts. It was just a comment, not a suggestion about the problem.

5. I doubt that anybody else (who is interested) has a setup exactly like yours. However, I finally got fed up enough to try an HDMI connection with a laptop that's running Windows 7 64-bit. Can exit to desktop Win7-64. It works fine, exits fine, with all of the "as designed" ways of starting and exiting.

My conclusion: I doubt it's your hardware - I believe there is some conflict in your combination of software and drivers that is unique to your system. Several people here have tried to duplicate your problem without success. I doubt that anybody here is going to install exactly the same combination of software and system monitoring gadgets.

Of course, you could quickly determine if it's your hardware or your additional applications and drivers. Just: (A) Back up your system image. (B) Do a "clean" install of W7-64 and MA3, and see if the problem still exists. (C) or, even easier - just do a second (multiboot) installation of W7-64 and MA3, and try it. (D) or, even easier, just swap out your hard drive, and do a clean install on the "new" one. For that purpose, you wouldn't need a very large drive. If you don't have one, borrow one from a friend?

I believe that some of us are still interested in what's causing your problem. So, when you find out for sure whether the "clean install" works, please let us know. And (if it's other software) when you get it resolved, please let us know.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #28
henemly
asdf

Could ya use this to kill the app to close it:
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/advancedseries/apt.php
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #29
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by henemly:
Could ya use this to kill the app to close it:
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/advancedseries/apt.php  
Close MA3, you mean? Or close some/all of the other possibly-conflicting applications?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #30
henemly
asdf

Meant ma3, but it would work with possible conflicts too.
Ya can just quickly 'kill' it.
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #31
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by henemly:
Meant ma3, but it would work with possible conflicts too.
Ya can just quickly 'kill' it.  
I'm sure that would work - but of course the question was why MA3 isn't working the way it's supposed to.

My bet is that MA3 is "doing the right thing" and some other application is interfering with it.

Since it's only happening on one system, as far as we know, I automatically win my bet until Arahanto demonstrates that the problem exists with a fresh installation.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #32
Arahanto
Registered

thanks dale. will keep your suggestions in mind. i don't have this problem with other savers like ones that come with windows, just ones that are more complex like ma3.
Arahanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #33
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Issue Resolved:
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ead.php?t=5231
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #34
Dale
Banned

Note: the title of this thread is somewhat misleading -- the problem had nothing to do with Win7-64 bit. And nothing to do with HDMI.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #35
Yodelking
yodeler

1 Highscore

Did someone change it? Atleast now the topic says: "Cannot exit to desktop"
Yodelking - För god att kolsyra!
Yodelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #36
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I really should stop giving Dale everything he asks for...
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #37
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Yodelking, I like your new avatar.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #38
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Yodelking:
Did someone change it? Atleast now the topic says: "Cannot exit to desktop"  
Yeah, the title used to have "W7-64" in it. It seemed like Arahanto was totally convinced that the problem was either W7 or 64 or HDMI. So, I spent a fair amount of time (unsuccessfully) trying to duplicate the problem on a Windows 7 64-bit system, and then hooking up that system to a display using HDMI.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #39
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for the effort, Dale.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #40
Dale
Banned

You're welcome, of course.

Remote diagnostics, over a slow channel with incomplete information (forum posts), are an interesting challenge.

Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows