Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium
Notices

Old 04-09-2002, 10:29 AM   #21
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

DrFish, I'm with you on that Cardinals vs. Neons. (Since they are so similar, perhaps Jim can whip up a whole bunch of different tetras)
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 02:20 PM   #22
hpman77
Blue Angel

I don't know the right english names for them, but those warrior fish look awesome. I don't know if that's their name, though. I mean those colorful fishes that must be alone on the tank, because if they meet another warrior fish, usually one of them ends floating belly up. Maybe somebody that kmow what I mean could be so kind to post a pic or say the right name

Also, one word: Guppies.
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 03:06 PM   #23
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

I know what you mean . They're called Beta's Or Siamese Fighting Fish . I had them all ready . Instead of having them in a bowl I had him in a tank . If you put 2 males in a tank they will fight to the end . You can put a male an female in the same tank , but after they bread you got to take the male out because he will kill them . They're nasty , but great to look at . The rare one is the black beta .
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 04:41 PM   #24
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Another fish for the upper part of the tank: The African Butterfly fish – Pantodon buchholzi (Could be fun to have butterflies in the marine tank, the fresh water tank and of course in the butterfly garden...) You cant really see it in the picture I've enclosed, but this guy has some huge pectoral fins and (although smaller) it's a jumper in the same class as the Arrowana!

Link to a page with a bit more info on the Butterfly:
http://www.exotictropicals.com/encyc.../butterfly.htm

and they also have one about the Arrowana:
http://www.exotictropicals.com/encyc...us/arowana.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pantodonbuchholzi3.jpg (39.2 KB, 1040 views)
Old 04-09-2002, 05:27 PM   #25
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Tiny Turtle , Your right . I had this guy too in the one tank . I had to close up all the openings in the back of the tank because he would jump out . I also had a rope fish . He was cool to . But again , he would jump out . Another good bottom feeder is the Sally crab . But you had to keep vasoline on the top of the air lines so it wouldn't climb out . It won't cross the Vasoline .
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 04:03 AM   #26
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Here is a blue Betta splendens:

Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 08:16 PM   #27
Lightfeather

I have one just like this! It is strange to see his fins flared without his little neck flare out as well.

I have a ten-gallon tank partitioned into two sections. I have a blue on one side and a red on the other each with their own anacris(sp) plants, a fine mist bubble stone and a small world carbon filter.

I call them Alpha and Betta ;-)

And they LOVE tubeflex worms.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Lightfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 10:31 AM   #28
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Nice names, girl! LOL

/Tiny
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:20 PM   #29
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Perhaps is't so ovious that nobody bothers to mention it, but any self-respecting 3D freshwater aquaruim simulation for the PC should come with on of these guys...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swedishscalare.jpg (19.8 KB, 944 views)
Old 04-11-2002, 02:08 PM   #30
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Tiny, look at the top of the screen.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 02:58 PM   #31
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Yeah, yeah. I *have* seen that one. How about if I claim temporary insanity/amnesia/stupidity?

/Tiny Perceptive Abilites

Old 04-11-2002, 05:38 PM   #32
Swede
Registered

Once my big Pteryllum Altum ate all my Neon tetras, one by one.
*gulp*, *gulp* and *gulp*

This said just as a warning to all.
4x / F C Am G F C Am G //
Chorus: 3x /F C Am G F C Am G//
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 09:01 AM   #33
drfish
the Doc

<joke>How about a big Oscar that swims across the front of the screen once an hour or something? Have "Jaws" music play when he does... And all the fish that are on the screen at the time swim off screen until he goes away... </joke>
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 02:03 AM   #34
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Cool Brackish Water Fish???

Jim,

I know that you've been flexible when it comes to including certain fish within the saltwater aquairum, fish that would not have normaly gotten along with others in real life. This has allowed us to mix and match them to our own preferences, and we all very much appreciate that.

Now, pending the release of the freshwater beta version, I'd like to know if you would be willing to accept brackish water fish in the stable of available freshwater species? These fish not truely freshwater, not truely salt, fill a rather obscure yet important gap in the eco system when compared to their salt and freshwater brethren. I should probably also point out that even though these fish are not specifically freshwater, they are far more freshwater than salt.

Anyway, since there isn't going to be a brackish water SereneScreen aquarium, these guys might never see the light of virtual day unless brought to life in your freshwater version.

So, what do think?

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...

Last edited by Digital Lungfish; 04-13-2002 at 11:22 AM.
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 02:49 PM   #35
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Brackish Water Fish

In fact, here's a few of the species I'm talking about:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brackishfish.jpg (42.6 KB, 810 views)
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Old 04-13-2002, 03:13 PM   #36
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I think that green-spotted fish has an inferiority complex. What do you think?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 04-13-2002, 03:29 PM   #37
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

DL, http://www.aquascape.co.uk/picture.html right?

Old 04-13-2002, 07:47 PM   #38
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

I think that green-spotted fish has an inferiority complex. What do you think?
He's definately trying to make up for a lack of something else where. The naming is quite odd as well, I see no green spots at all on that fish, only black. But, that's it's name, go figure.

Yes, that's where I nabbed the pic for the Scat, good find Tiny! Unfortunately not all the fish on that page are the best looking though, the Figure 8 Puffer looks like it's going to explode.

- DL

P.S.
I'd like to add my vote to those who have already requested an Oscar. I whole heartedly agree that we should have a real nice looking Oscar in the batch of available species, the freshwater equivalent of the reef tank's Lionfish. I'm thinking he should probably be the largest of the freshwater fish we'll see in the new aquarium, similar scale to the Clown Trigger and Lionfish.
Steve

Last edited by Digital Lungfish; 04-13-2002 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2002, 08:24 PM   #39
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Exclamation

You know, I just thought of something. One of the fish I'm requesting (the Archer) has a rather unique ability that might just get overlooked in this tank. They have the ability to shoot insects off of branches by spitting bursts of water from their mouth at them. I've seen this in a captive environment actually, it's really cool to watch. Not only that, but they're also capable of leaping up to 12 inches out of the water and catching prey in their mouth.

Hmmmm, perhaps you could include the Archer in the Terrarium Jim since it's no doubt going to have both land and water environments combined. Then make some flies for it to shoot at, sounds like a plan to me.

Or better yet, make it a hidden alternate mode for the freshwater aquarium. You could lock it with a code that we have to figure out to access it, sort of like a video game easter egg. Hey, that's actually a cool idea, each of the SereneScreen screensavers should have a bonus easter egg mode!

Anyway, here's some pics of the Archer in action:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg archerinaction.jpg (55.4 KB, 785 views)
Steve

Last edited by Digital Lungfish; 04-14-2002 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-13-2002, 11:02 PM   #40
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Wonder where they got their name.

Tags
freshwater idea>, malawi cichlid
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium