Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 10-24-2002, 02:11 AM   #21
just some guy
Banned

Thanks, Tiny.
An issuance from the department of redundancy department for those who didn't read the first time what I wrote the first time.

To Feldon:
You always accuse me of being rude. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it was I said that WAS rude... Maybe when there is no justifiable way to disagree with what I'm saying, you brand me rude - does it make you feel better?

...don't answer that, OK? It was not meant to be a rhetorical queston.
just some guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 04:58 AM   #22
snorkler
Registered

just some guy

You are rude, your attitude is disrespectful- what are you 16?
See- rude! Just make your comments, no need to slam Morgan or Jim. We are all disappointed and waiting and enjoying the aquarium! There is nothing else to do!!
snorkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 05:43 AM   #23
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

JSG,
Can't really figure out if you're being sarcastic here – It doesn't come out too clear in these short posts.

Keep trying to get the rude part – you'll get it eventually...

/Tiny Mess

P.S. Rhetorical questions are the ones you're not supposed to answer...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 06:31 AM   #24
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

OK everyone, lets not get something started here. Everyone has the right to have their own opinion as long as it is stated in a coherant and non-inflamitory or "flaming" manner. Obviously to everyone it has been awhile since we have had something new to Ohh and Ahh over, and some prefer to look at the glass as half empty instead of admiring the half full part they do have. That's ok I guess, everyone has that right. The bottom line is that Jim has stated that he is basically suffering from "writer's block" or "artist's block" at the moment, and in addition has many things both good and bad happening on other fronts. People need to remember that what is happening here is the result of one man's dream, not something spit out on a daily grind basis from a machine. I would have hoped that people would be more supportive of Jim in his "hour of need" so to speak, instead of turning on him or others here like a pack of starving wolves. Patience is a virtue you know.......
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 08:35 AM   #25
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Probably better for the jokes thread, but that last post by JAV.4k mad em think of a "The Far Side" comic.

The four personality types
(Four images with one person in each looking at a glass (~50% full) standing on a table)

First person: The glass is half full

Second person: The glass is half empty

Third person: The glass is half fu...I mean, its empty... no, wait, what was the question, again?

Fourth person: What the?! I ordered a cheeseburger

Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 10:55 AM   #26
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

LOL!!!
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 11:21 AM   #27
cjmaddy
Registered

I find myself agreeing with SOME of what 'just some guy' says. but not in the way he says it. I think that a number of people must feel, if not let down, then at least of being strung along, not I think by Jim, but by Prolific.
Jim has every right to take as long has he likes to finish, or not, the work he has in hand. As he says, we "... have no way of knowing what is happening on a hundred different fronts", his business is his business, and that is as it should be. Jim is a one man band, Prolific on the other hand, employ more than one person, (I assume!) and therefore must be considered in a different light. We, as punters, have no way of knowing the arrangements between developer and publisher, but as all bug reports for the wide screen beta go directly to Prolific, it must be assumed that they are directly involved in the production of its final version. However, that source for new information has also completely dried up ....... as others have said, we are feeling very starved.
It now appears that Prolific are to produce a Goldfish aquarium and a DVD. I would prefer them to sort out the existing problems first.
As regards this forum, it MUST continue! I, like many others, check almost daily, sometimes many times a day. Just cause we are not posting doesn't mean we are not reading. I don't believe in posting just for the sake of it, that's sad.
And to end with, the one thing I long for most is the 3D background, what can we do Jim to re-arouse your enthusiasm?
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 11:44 AM   #28
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The Freshwater Aquarium and the 3D background will require harmony in development between Jim and Prolific. Hopefully Prolific are throwing their development efforts at both as far as more advanced swimming behaviors and fish avoidance, etc. etc. while Jim only has to do the artwork--the fish, the rocks, the plants, etc.

If Jim is trying to tackle the programming too rather than just giving Prolific a written outline of how the thing should operate plus a package of artwork, then I can definitely understand why things would be at a standstill. I know it's hard to give your artwork over to Prolific and trust them to get all the programming with the same level of perfection as yours, but I think that's the only way this will work.

Jim expressed relief to me in June of 2001 when the programming was largely handed over to Prolific. In the span of 17 months, there isn't much to show for this collaboration.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 04:09 PM   #29
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

To change the subject slightly, Morgan mentioned Jim's digital paintings a while back. I hadn't heard about these, I guess I thought everyone just called Jim an artist because of the beauty of the Aquarium.

Can someone post a link to some of Jim's other work?
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 04:17 PM   #30
Swede
Registered

http://www.fish-byte.com/AboutAuth.htm

It's a link to Jim's own web site.
4x / F C Am G F C Am G //
Chorus: 3x /F C Am G F C Am G//
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 04:18 PM   #31
feldon34
Forum Administrator

http://www.sitting-ducks.com/%7Ejeff/sachs.html
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
Old 10-24-2002, 10:58 PM   #32
CephaloP

Interesting. The SSA seems to be quite a departure from the type of work he did previously. Must have been kinda tough to jump into 3D modeling and photorealism.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:12 PM   #33
Jim Sachs
Developer

Not really. I had just spent 3 years writing the 3D software for the CompuTrainer bicycle training device.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 12:33 AM   #34
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

You always accuse me of being rude. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it was I said that WAS rude...
just some guy,

I've been watching this thread unfold and the one thing that has not been touched on and yet best describes the problem is your lack of tact in expressing yourself. You see, the problem was not so much WHAT you said, but HOW you said it. One of the things I respect most in people is their honesty because it lets me know exactly where they stand, but if they shove it in my face and force it down my throat, then I lose all respect for them.

So by all means, be honest with yourself and us, but try to do so tactfully and I'm sure we're less likely to run into situations like this again.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:33 AM   #35
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Someone named "eejesme45" posted this in the chatroom:
Hello. I have read some of the discussions. I have been completely pleased and amazed at the saltwater aquarium. I got started with the 3-fish version when I purchased "Plus!" for WinXP. I liked it so much that I upgraded to the full version almost immediately and was rewarded a few months later with the FANTASTIC Lionfish.
Just recently a friend of mine downloaded version 1.1 and his family loves it too. I know what writer's block is, too. Just yesterday I got past one on a program I have been writing for a friend's hearing aid business. It felt great to solve it and move on. Mr. Sachs (Jim if I may), be assured of my support in the best way. You'll get past your block and move at lightning speed. Best wishes.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:09 PM   #36
Jim Sachs
Developer

Many thanks to eejesme45.
Jim Sachs
Old 10-31-2002, 09:05 PM   #37
Q-Beam
Chi Rho

Angry

We all support Jim Sachs and his aquarium projects. As he is the only guy working on it, it will not be fast. But because it is only one man, the attention to detail will be absolutely incredible.

On behalf of myself, may I say... GO JIM. We are behind you buddy. We have faith in you. We will not falter!
Q-Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 10:35 AM   #38
bratboy
Here Fishy Fishy!

Smile

Oh Im behind Jim all the way (Stands Behind Jim Cracking Whip)
Wheres my Octipi!!! hehe
bratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 09:47 PM   #39
CephaloP

Originally posted by bratboy
Wheres my Octipi!!!
For nearly a year, I have cried this in the deepest and most muffled recesses of my impatiently beating heart (albeit with different spelling).
Old 11-05-2002, 11:40 PM   #40
Jim Sachs
Developer

Being the most difficult critter to create, the octopus will almost certainly be the last one I do. It is currently scheduled for Creature Pack 2.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive