Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-10-2003, 03:37 PM   #1
doverguy
Registered

Cool MA2 Minimizing To Task Bar

Hello All,

I gotta say that I love MA2...I've had it for a few weeks now and it runs very efficiently on my WinXP system since it only uses about 3% of the CPU (compared to 50% or more with previous versions).

However, I've run into one issue that I just can't seem to solve. I have several scheduled tasks that run every night and each morning I now awake to find MA2 running minimized in the task bar.

From what I've read, this was requested behavior here on the forums and the programmers just followed suit by giving the user what they wanted. I know that I initially had the same problem in MA1.1, but the special version of Aquarium (V1.1-7) solved the problem.

I had also read that in the future, MA2 will have a checkbox to not minimize to the taskbar when one of these scheduled tasks runs.

With all that said, my question is...

Does anyone know of a way to get around this issue in the meantime? I've looked at several things and just can't seem to find anything that would solve this problem for me.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
doverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:44 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

This doesn't really need a separate thread does it?

The short answers are:

A future version of the Aquarium will get a checkbox to prevent this.

Close any background tasks that interrupt the Aquarium such that it minimizes.

If you are on Windows 2000/XP, set a password. I am not sure the behavior here, but it won't escape out of the Aquarium, it might just pause it.

Maybe the Fish Picker program could have a checkbox to periodically check if the Aquarium is minimized and maximize it again.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
doverguy
Registered

Well, I apologize if I offended, but after spending quite a bit of time looking through the forums, I didn't see anything that dealt with the specific question I asked. I therefore thought it was appropriate to create a new thread to get other users input and such.

As I noted in my message, I am aware of your first suggestion. However, I am just trying to get some feedback or suggestions from other users as to a possible solution until this program change is made.

Your second suggestion pretty much defeats the purpose of my original question entirely.

I'm not sure what type of what password you are referring to in your third suggestion. I currently have a password set for XP and each task that runs via the WinXP task scheduler has a password set. Neither of these do anything to prevent MA2 from minimizing to the taskbar.

Your fourth suggestion is out of my hands :-(
Old 04-10-2003, 04:29 PM   #4
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Maybe the Fish Picker program could have a checkbox to periodically check if the Aquarium is minimized and maximize it again.
It already does that if you are cycling the random fishes or the custom settings. Fish Picker needs to send keystrokes to MA2, but that can only be done if a) MA2 is maximized and b) its window is the active one. So Fish Picker has to take care of that anyway.
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:13 AM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I don't know if this is fixed in the latest MA2, but you can try it.

PLEASE do not download this version unless you plan to test it:
https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/...rium2-5430.zip

This download does not come with an installer. It is a drop-in replacement for your existing Marine Aquarium 2.scr file.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 04-14-2003, 07:40 PM   #6
doverguy
Registered

Unhappy

Well, I tried it, and it appears that it's not yet fixed in this version since I continued to get the same behavior as before.

Thanks for the effort though.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:57 PM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I got no indication from Reichart that this was fixed in this version.

I am rolling out another test version of MA2 tonight.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:43 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Anyone with the Minimizing problem, please try this new version:

https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/...rium2-5590.zip
Old 04-15-2003, 09:14 PM   #9
doverguy
Registered

Angry

Morgan,

I just installed the newer version you posted earlier this evening and am happy to report that the problem has been solved. The screensaver no longer minimizes to the taskbar, but instead just terminates when a scheduled task starts up.

Once again, thanks for all the effort and help.

You've put the Aquarium back onto my system as my primary screensaver and that is a cool thing because I missed it.

Thanks again!!!
Old 04-16-2003, 03:41 PM   #10
ibbe
Registered

hi
ibbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:51 PM   #11
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Tjena Ibbe, Välkommen till forumet!
A tad short message there, but hope you'll enjoy it here.

/Tiny Calle
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive