Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-06-2003, 05:09 PM   #1
Cleve
Registered

Cool CPU utilization issue

I'm running the full registered Aquarium on my new Windows 2000 Dell laptop with a 2 ghz processor, 256 Mb of DDR memory, and Radeon 7500 graphic chipset. I can achieve just under 160 fps at 1024 x 768, which looks great

The Aquarium has a feature built in to limit frame rate to 60 fps. This should be useful with laptop for two reasons, first it should help conserve battery life. Second, my laptop has a "smart" cooling fan. While the processor load is small, it runs at a very quiet low speed. However, as processor load increases (thus heat) the fan runs faster, faster and faster until it's quite loud.

Unfortunately limiting the frame rate has no effect on CPU utilization. Even at 60 fps, W2K Task Manager indicates 100% utilization of the 2 ghz processor.

As an experiment, I went to windowed mode and dropped the size of the Aquarium down to a diminuitive 132 x 99. I even switched from 32 bit color to 16 bit. Processor utilization remains pegged at 100%. As I type this, the fan just ratched up to near full speed, and my lap is getting noticeably warmer, so it's not a false CPU reading by Task Manager. The P4 is definitely running at maximum capacity. As soon as I close the Aquarium, CPU utilizaton drops to 1-3 %, normal background levels.

This is an issue for the developer to resolve, in my opinion. To run such a tiny 3d window shouldn't even cause a 2 ghz processor to break a sweat. I've noticed the Windows 3d screen savers like 3d Flying Objects are far more CPU friendly, with only 40 to 50% CPU utilization in full screen window. There must be a coding trick that Microsoft is aware of that they won't share with screensaver developers.

Even if I was using it on a desktop where battery power concerns weren't an issue, I'd hate for the screen saver to kick on while burning a CD; the excessive CPU utilization would likely ruin the burning process.

Cleve
Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 05:57 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

This is all taken care of in v2.0, due out shortly.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 06:02 PM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Test version of the new Aquarium (MAT actually). 2 and 5 indicate the Aquarium running and using 2-10% CPU.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 06:40 PM   #4
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I get about the same results that Morgan has just shown. Now instead of running @ 100% I have seen as low as 2% on mine.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:52 AM   #5
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

If Ms' 3D Flying Objects uses 40% of the CPU, I'd expect the MA to use up ~200% of it – It's a bit more complex...

Look Jav, 1k posts!

/Tiny Thousand
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 02:06 PM   #6
Cleve
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
This is all taken care of in v2.0, due out shortly.

Thank you, Jim. I look forward to the release. This wonderful product keeps getting better and better.
Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:46 PM   #7
EddieWan
JediMaster

With MAT mine runs at about 0-2%. You have to sacrifice fps but how many frames a sec do you really need?
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
EddieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:58 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Honestly? I'd like the slider to go up to 70. Then my life would be complete.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-19-2003, 07:20 AM   #9
Leviathan
Siamese Fighting Fish

Big Grin Version 2.0 CPU Usage

I thought that Version 2.0 was supposed to only use like 5-10% of CPU Usage, unlike the 100% from version 1.1. However, it appears that Version 2.0 is also using 100% usage. This can be seen by viewing the Performance tab on Windows XP. Any info?
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 07:32 AM   #10
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Something must be wrong with my machine. With MA 2.0 I am still pegging at 100% CPU usage. Only if I turn off the bubbles and all but one fish does the percentage go down.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 07:59 AM   #11
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

pat,

Check the limit frame rate box and set it to 58.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:54 AM   #12
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Or go to Start -> Run...
Type dxdiag and hit OK.
Click the "More Help" tab.
Click the "Override" button.
Set it to 75 instead of default.
Click OK.

Should clear it right up even if you have FPS set to 62.
WARNING: Putting higher numbers on old monitors may damage them!
Old 03-19-2003, 09:57 AM   #13
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Version 2.0 CPU Usage

Originally posted by Leviathan
I thought that Version 2.0 was supposed to only use like 5-10% of CPU Usage, unlike the 100% from version 1.1. However, it appears that Version 2.0 is also using 100% usage. This can be seen by viewing the Performance tab on Windows XP. Any info?
Did you try what I put in the announcement?

Set Aquarium res to 16-bit color.
Set FPS lock to 58 and enable it.
Press Ctrl-S and S alternately until the animation stabilizes.

Then take a measurement.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:42 AM   #14
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I have set it to 58 and checked the box,
gone into dxdiag/override and set it to 75 instead of default,
set Aquarium res to 16-bit color and my screen settings,
pressed Ctrl-S and S alternately until the animation stabilizes,
but I am still using 100% CPU.

I am getting a smooth 37 fps and it looks great. There must be something, somewhere that I am missing. An unchecked or checked box in one of my computer's settings. I'll keep fiddling with it.
Patrick
Old 03-20-2003, 12:44 PM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

A "smooth 36fps"?

I dunno what is going on on your PC but you having some serious trouble somewhere.

Should be 1-3% CPU and 60fps solid. I have essentially the same configuration as you and I am getting much better results.

Maybe it's that 256KB of RAM.

Seriously,

I'd kill off all background tasks that it will let you and try running MA2 again. You are running it 1024x768 full-screen at 16-bit color on a single monitor, right?
Old 03-20-2003, 01:35 PM   #16
grape_jellyfish
Registered

The aquarium is running smooth for me and my cpu usages is like 3%, the bubbles dont work good on mine but its my old video card, not the ss at fault.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
grape_jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:10 PM   #17
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Yes, I am running it 1024x768 full-screen at 16-bit color on a single LCD monitor.

Okay, I killed off all background tasks that it let me, about 5, then ran MA2 again, and EUREKA! Down to about 10 - 15 %. But when I hit S, it shoots back up to 100, and still shows only 37 fps. Now I have to go back and shut those programs down one at a time and or in different combinations to see which ones are causing the problem. I'll get back to you.
Patrick
Old 03-20-2003, 05:13 PM   #18
feldon34
Forum Administrator

S and Ctrl-S generate 100% on my system too.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive