Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-15-2004, 01:40 AM   #1
Lofi
Registered

Tamagocchi Version

i wonder why there's still no tamagocchi version out there where you have to grow up fish, feed them, clean the water, etc.

this would make the screensaver unique and a REAL simulation.
Lofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:14 AM   #2
Liath
Still here in spirit

arrrgh!....I have enough to do already with my real fish. It's nice having a couple of tanks that don't require any work
Liath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
Seafoam
The Fish Whisperer

Angry Cute idea,but...

She's right, it's GREAT to have marine fish who don't need cleaning/feeding/monitoring when I've got other fish, dogs, and countless other things to keep me busy! O_o
  16 year old FISH FREAK!
My fishies: Renshaw, & Alan (the plecs), Debbie (the pictus catfish), Kirk/Desi/Electra/Irving/Peggy (the tetras), Melvin, & Penny! RIP Mercedes...2/27/01-2/18/04 ;_; And RIP Gunther...we miss u...
FINDING NEMO RULES! I <3 Bubbles, Gill, & Gurgle ^_^
www.lassenart.com
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
cjmaddy
Registered

You might find something you like on the AquaReal site, - maybe VR Aquarium? ..... http://www.digifish.us/

But I'm with the others, - it's nice to get away from all that hassle!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

"Tamagocchi" [sic.] and "real simulation" in the same sentence... oooookay...
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:36 AM   #6
Lofi
Registered

why not in the same sentence? i don't understand. tamagocchi is a simulation of raising something up and keeping it alive. it's attractive mostly to young people. where's the difference to a simulation?

i don't have an aquarium, so i don't have the hassle :-)))

when i first saw jim's screensaver i thought it would be impressive. but i never use a screensaver. why should i? don't have to. and if i want to see fish, i'd buy an aquarium.

but why do i place this tamagocchi suggestion? imho my idea would give jim A LOT OF NEW CUSTOMERS. besides, jim is the only who i trust that he would make it professional at the people's satisfaction. example: the VR Aquarium isn't good. it's a solution, but it isn't good.

i hope a tamagocchi version will be released one day.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:54 AM   #7
Socrates
Sage

If you want a utility or a game, buy a utility or a game, if you want art buy the Sachs Marine Aquarium.

It's like wishing that you could buy a Warhol soup can painting that came with real soup.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 04:25 AM   #8
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Soc,
Whoa There yourself! I think that allegory needs to go back to boot camp or something. And can't we ease off on the art angle? Let's say I think Doom 3 is so good-looking it's a piece of art and John Carmack is an artist. Does it then cease to be a game?

Lofi,
I think Feldon objected to the word "real" in that sentence. Tamagochi never was an especially "realistic" simulation, right?

As to why you should use the SS, I suppose the short answer would be because it's beautiful and also shows off the computer's capabilities in a nice way. So you don't need a screensaver, well neither did I until almost three years ago... Buying a real marine aquarium is something really expensive and time-consuming so having an aquarium like this is an easy way out for lots of people.

Still, when it comes down to why there is no such version of the Aquarium, it's because Jim has (showed) no interest in spending his time taking such a path. And when it comes to licensing his work, well, let's say he's very picky about who gets to fiddle with his vision. (Is that about right, Jim?)

/Tiny Rant
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:40 AM   #9
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Is there some reason that Soc isn't entitled to his opinion?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:20 AM   #10
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Today is the 16th of January. Socrates is never allowed an opinion of his own on this day every year...

On a more serious note, I don't understand what you're playing at, Michael. Do you mean I'm saying Soc can't consider the SS a piece of art? Well, certainly he can, but my point was that it's still a computer program so in fact there actually is soup in the Warhol painting. Or are you saying it would cease to be a piece of art if the "Tamagochi" feature would be added?

The second reason the allegory was a bit weird to me is that if one was looking to buy soup/a screensaver, then the Aquarium/Warhol painting wouldn't be suitable, right? Well, this would be fine with the soup and the painting, but not with the Aquarium and a screensaver which is why I objected to the allegory.

/Tiny Andy
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:13 AM   #11
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Well the point is that Jim himself has stated that he looked at it more as art than he did codes, numbers, and programming. So if its his creation, and thats what he leans towards, why do you get to tell Soc. to "ease off" on the art angle? Thats what he feels it is, and incendentially, I lean in the same direction. MS Word is a Program, this is different.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:56 PM   #12
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Lofi
when i first saw jim's screensaver i thought it would be impressive. but i never use a screensaver. why should i? don't have to. and if i want to see fish, i'd buy an aquarium.
The target audience for Jim's Aquarium is those millions of us that don't have $3000 laying around to set up our own saltwater tank or the time to maintain it.

Jim's Aquarium is being used in celebrity homes and lawyers and doctor's offices on $20,000 plasma displays.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:30 PM   #13
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle
Let's say I think Doom 3 is so good-looking it's a piece of art and John Carmack is an artist. Does it then cease to be a game?
Ok, so the SS is art. Does anybody want to answer my question?

/Tiny Oversight
Old 01-17-2004, 07:48 AM   #14
Lofi
Registered

i really do wonder how people react.

it's only a suggestion!!! i'm pretty sure, there's potential (and money) in this suggestion.

if the SS won't have this feature, another one will include it. i have no problem with that.

so please do me a favor and forget my suggestion and close the topic.

thank you.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:26 AM   #15
cjmaddy
Registered

Lofi, - Please don't give up so easily, forums like this one thrive on opinion, though we may be guilty of having a more than average share of dedicated followers that don't like any change! - I am probably one myself!
We have to learn to take the knocks and the criticisms, - I should know!!! - but if you want to keep your head above the crowd, you have to stick your neck out occasionally!

........ With that mix of cliches, - I'll shut up!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 09:32 AM   #16
Jim Sachs
Developer

Lofi - I'll leave the simulations to AquaReal, etc. While you will be able to feed the SereneScreen fish, they won't die if you don't. My goal with these programs is to contribute toward peace and serenity in the world, not to add stress. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 03:17 AM   #17
Lofi
Registered

Thank you for your answer, Jim.

Best Wishes
Lofi
Old 01-18-2004, 05:59 PM   #18
Socrates
Sage

Well I didn't mean to be harsh. Just trying to explore an angle. Tiny has a point, too.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive