Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 10-11-2008, 05:19 AM   #1
Scott

scr not working

Unfortunately, I have Autocad software on my machine and it changed the "scr" so it doesn't work as it should for a screen saver. For previous versions of MA, I changed the "scr" to "exe" and then it can run on demand, but it doesn't seem to work for the beta.

Any thoughts on how I can see this program running?

Thanks.

Scott
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:28 AM   #2
Scott

Okay, got it working now. Looks totally amazing.

Quad core 4 2.66
ATI 1950 512 Ram
1900 x 1200 resolution

3 fish @ 110 fps
Old 10-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

IMHO, it's better to post what you did to fix the problem instead of just saying you got it sorted to help others with similar issues.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
Scott

Sorry about that. When I first renamed the scr to exe, it hung. But after I got it restarted, it come up perfectly.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

There is a script at the fan site which re-assigns SCR to screen savers. There's absolutely no reason for AutoCAD to hijack the SCR format since even avid AutoCAD users have no reason to double-click on an SCR file. It's just a support file.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
Socrates
Sage

Holy God. This is still an issue with Autocad?

That is ridiculous that they are still doing that almost 2 decades later.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #7
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yeah, it always baffled my why they would pick .scr as an extension. Seems like it should be something like .acd.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

script and screen kind of start with the first 3 letters. Scr. for script was in use long before there were screen savers.. Blame MS for using a file extension already in use. But... there is no reason for AutoDesk to continue this practice either.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The irony is you would never click an AutoCAD script file. That's not how you would ever open an AutoCAD document. So why they felt the need to register it is beyond me.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Perhaps in the early 90's when AutoDesk was developing AutoCad, scripting was how you got things done... a carry over from the DOS days.. long before I became familiar with it for sure.
I suppose if the "right" people approached AutoDesk and made a request to drop it they might consider it... <>
Old 10-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

They can still use the extension, they just have to stop taking it over (associating it).
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

I agree... but someone with some pull...needs to get the programmers at AutoDesk to agree
Old 10-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #13
Socrates
Sage

Originally posted by Ralph:
script and screen kind of start with the first 3 letters. Scr. for script was in use long before there were screen savers.. Blame MS for using a file extension already in use. But... there is no reason for AutoDesk to continue this practice either.  
As I have said before.

The problem here is that the SCR for Autocad was for files for their version for DOS.

When creating a software for the a NEW operating system, Windows, they should have respected the rules fo the NEW environment.

What if someone had decided that .pif was something they had been using in dos so they decided it was OK for them to break every shortcut on your machine when they wrote their windows version?
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows