Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
robnich
Registered

Spacebar Function

For unknown reasons,when I press the spacebar to access Settings while MA3 is running in full screen mode, MA3 quits. The only way I can access settings while it is running is to press F to get to windowed mode and then press the spacebar. MA3 didn't do this in the past -- the spacebar functioned normally. I upgraded to 3.1 yesterday but there was no change. This is on a Windows 7 64-bit system with 12GB RAM, a CoreI7 processor and an ATI 4850 GPU

I suspect this is due to some software conflict, but I think the issue is too minor to bother searching for the culprit. I'm wondering if I uninstall and reinstall if it might resolve the problem.

Bob N.
robnich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

I don't have W7. Anyone else here having the same trouble?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
JohnWho
Registered

No.

Spacebar working fine in MA3.1 for me.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
JohnWho
Registered

Question

Originally posted by robnich:
For unknown reasons,when I press the spacebar to access Settings while MA3 is running in full screen mode, MA3 quits.
Bob N.  
Hey robnich -

Just wondering, do all the other hot keys work, such as the arrows, C, L, S, etc.?

IOW, is it only the Spacebar that is initiating this problem?
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
vochore
Registered

i also have the exact same problem with my ma3,press the space bar and the screen freezes until i press the space bar a sec time and then the screen resumes working.

only way to access the settings is in windowed mode but since i change the settings so infrequently i didn't let it bother me.

also running w7 64 bit.

and also...all of the other hotkeys work fine...just accessing the settings window is messed up.
vochore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

That's not the same problem. The original complaint here was that the program quit when the spacebar is pressed. The program freezing is normal, but for some reason Windows is not displaying the Settings box. The box is actually there and if you click on the areas where the buttons would be they will function normally. Pressing the spacebar or Enter exits the Settings screen and returns you to the Aquarium. I have put in every command I can think of to ensure that the correct buffer gets shown, and haven't heard any complaints for several years. But then I noticed that when I started using the program with 3D glasses, it was necessary to come out of 3D or the box wasn't getting shown. I thought it was just a problem with the 3D drivers, but if you are having trouble with 2D mode, I'll have to keep looking for a universal fix.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #7
robnich
Registered

Originally posted by JohnWho:
Hey robnich -

Just wondering, do all the other hot keys work, such as the arrows, C, L, S, etc.?

IOW, is it only the Spacebar that is initiating this problem?  
Yes, all the other hot keys work. The interesting thing is that the space bar used to function normally in MA3 on the same Windows 7 computer. That's why I think it must be a conflict with some software I installed since that time, but I have no idea what or when, and, as I mentioned, it's not bothersome enough to search for the culprit.

Bob N.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
robnich
Registered

To make matters more confusing, the faulty space bar function appears to be intermittent. Right now pressing the space bar brings up the settings normally, whereas last night (and the day I posted) it caused MA3 to quit. The computer was sleeping overnight - there was no restart. I've noted this in the past but didn't post as I thought it was just a transient quirk, but it keeps coming back.

Bob N.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
kona001
New Husband and new Aquarium

It's been awhile since I visit the forums. I'd like to say hello to everyone and especially Jim. Your work of art still amazes me every-time I watch it. I look forward for the day I can afford a 3D TV (that doesn't require glasses) and have your screen saver on it all day long.. The dream will become a reality one day.
"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail"-W2
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #10
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Good to hear from you, kona.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

Just a quick note to say that I'm not having this problem with my W7 laptop, the spacebar works as intended.

Specs are AMD Phenom II X3 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, ATI 4250HD graphics.
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
RayGlover
Registered

I have the same problem with the Space Bar

I have tried everything I can think of. The other keys work as intended but spacebar kills the program after flashing the screen several times. Also the "Right Click" function does the same thing.

I have tried launiching ther .scr directly, via shortcut, and via setttings panel preview. All work consistantly. All have the above mentioned problem.

Is there an .exe available?

Ray Glover
RayGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

The only difference with an .exe is the name. You can just rename the program MarineAquarium3.exe, and it will not act like a screensaver. Whether or not that fixes your spacebar problem, I don't know.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
alphaacres
Registered

Jim I have the same problem in windows eight with the space bar also fish swimming more threw objects and swimming more confused sounds weird but it's happening I think it has to do with acceleration that Microsoft has implemented for the newer versions of IE but its just a guess. I can access the space bar settings by the desk top shortcut after that I can use the space bar until a restart, shutdown then it's do as above it was not like this on 7 or 8 but now it is the only change is Windows and IE updates.
alphaacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
Jim Sachs
Developer

That's a mystery to me. The Aquarium has nothing to do with IE, so it must be something in Win8. Maybe they'll get it sorted out before shipping the new OS.

By the way, you can also access the spacebar functions by right-clicking anywhere in the Aquarium window.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
hillover
Registered

Not that this will help the folks who are having problems, but:

I have a test system that can boot W7-32 or W8-64. It's up-to-date on all Windows updates. MA 3.2 on both systems.

The space bar works as intended in both W7 and W8 installations.

The major difference that I can see, is that on Windows 8, there is not an available W8 driver for the video card. Therefore, when MA is running, the fish movements are quite jerky.
hillover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
jimkraz
Registered

I had the same problem, Windows 8, pressed keyboard shortcut for window mode, rightclicked back to full mode and spacebar worked. Jim
Something Fishy Going On
jimkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows