Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #21
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

You guys found the folder to place the AltLogo.png.
It is also the same place where the MA3Playlist.lst is created.

Does anybody have XP and does it work for them also?
Note that each OS will have a different place to put it. That is why I said that when you open the playlist for the first time, the initial folder where it looks for music is the place to put the AltLogo.png.

Hoever, I still have problem with XP.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #22
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Don't get too attached to any particular folder quite yet. Edgar's still hard at work on this issue.  
Partially-tongue-in-cheek comment:

Can we presume that Edgar (or somebody) will eventually announce, in this forum, where all of the "droppings" were?

We will presumably have to go delete folders, files, and (probably) registry entries after MA3 goes "production", to get rid of all of the "stuff".

[See comments elsewhere about the annoyance-factor of left-behind folders and files]
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #23
Jim Sachs
Developer

If we can find them, we'll announce where they were. We're usually just as surprised as anyone to find where they pop up.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #24
Edgar

1 Highscore

The annoyance factor for left over folder for User data is going to be there until our installer has a chance to handle it correctly.
In other words, we will not be able to clean up the user folder at first.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 01-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #25
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

I have XP and my logo and playlist are working fine with 8g . I just did what you suggested , and it's in D&S/User/Application Data/Marine Aquarium 3 . No worries mate .
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #26
G600
Registered

Originally posted by Edgar:
It is also the same place where the MA3Playlist.lst is created.

Does anybody have XP and does it work for them also?
Note that each OS will have a different place to put it. That is why I said that when you open the playlist for the first time, the initial folder where it looks for music is the place to put the AltLogo.png.

Hoever, I still have problem with XP.  

I have XP and it only works when putting the AltLogo.png ALSO in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #27
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

G600 - just checking - did you delete the registry key and try again ? It's working just perfectly for me .
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #28
cjmaddy
Registered

If you try to add a entry in the playlist for the frist time, check the folder it opens up from, that will be the folder where you need to put the AltLogo.png.  
Okay I just duplicated this bug when the screensaver kicks in. Now to figure out why. Sorry.  

It is also the same place where the MA3Playlist.lst is created.....

.... Note that each OS will have a different place to put it. That is why I said that when you open the playlist for the first time, the initial folder where it looks for music is the place to put the AltLogo.png....  
"...the initial folder where it looks for music..." - is the folder that holds the music file when you add the first entry into the playlist, - NOT the folder that holds an empty playlist. - Check the path in the playlist entry....

Therefore, the location to establish, is the folder containing the playlist, not the folder where it looks for music.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MA3_playlist_crop1.jpg (106.1 KB, 26 views)
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #29
Dale
Banned

The annoyance factor for left over folder for User data is going to be there until our installer has a chance to handle it correctly.
In other words, we will not be able to clean up the user folder at first.  
I would not expect the MA3 installer to be able to correctly clean up "leftovers" from everything that various people (and various Beta versions) have done on their systems during Beta testing.

I recognize that this is well off-topic (and that's my fault), so I'll save my Installer questions (like "what about MA2") for when there is an Installer topic.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #30
G600
Registered

Originally posted by Butters:
G600 - just checking - did you delete the registry key and try again ? It's working just perfectly for me .  

I didn't delete the registry key.
With the AltLogo.png in C:\Documents and Settings/Username/Application Data/Marine Aquarium 3 the L key works with 8g when executing from desktop. At first it didn't work when used as a screensaver till I saw that MA3Playlist is also in the C:\Windows\System32 folder so I placed AltLogo.png there too and then the L key was functional in screensaver mode.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #31
Edgar

1 Highscore

The next update (8h) will not need the MA3Playlist.lst nor the AltLogo.png in the systems32 folder.

When you install MA3 by right clicking and then selecting Install, MA3 will create a registry entry of "WorkDir" in the:

1. For the Beta testing version - "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SereneScreen\MarineAqua rium2+Time"
2. For the Beta release version - "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SereneScreen\MarineAqua rium3"

That registry entry will be the User's Work folder and where the MA3Playlist.lst file will be created and where you need to put the AltLogo.png.

EDIT: It seems a long entry gets a space added in between. There should be no spaces in the Registry location
EDIT2: This build also creates a temporary log file to help me figure out if and when this method fails.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 01-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #32
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Okay... moving my play list and the altlogo.png from my \\downloads folder where they have sat and worked for many generations... to C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\Marine Aquarium 3.. and both the music and the alt logo work... SORT OF...

A multi monitor issue.. when in full screen the alt logo does not work on the second screen, strangely the portion that scrolls onto the main screen does change. When in a window the alt logo works just fine.

Still somewhat confused though about the placement of files... through this whole testing process I have kept the updated zip files in my download folder.. unzipped there and over write the existing MA3Beta.scr file.. Then a shortcut on my desktop to this file starts the SS.. Simple and easy.

I guess that I would expect the MA3Beta.scr file to be copied to the new folder as well and possible an offer of placing a short cut on the desktop. If the MA3Beta.scr was zipped with a path would it then not unzip to that location? Keeping it all together seems a logical final goal...

My choice for ultimate destination of all these files would have been in the program folder.. again to keep it all together in a place "most" software goes.. and where one starts looking for software installed
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #33
Jim Sachs
Developer

You are talking about an installer - there isn't one yet.

As far as the logo not showing up on the second monitor - I'll work on that tonight. Everything has to be re-created for each render unit, and that one fell through the cracks.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #34
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Ralph:
Okay... moving my play list and the altlogo.png from my \\downloads folder where they have sat and worked for many generations... to C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\Marine Aquarium 3.. and both the music and the alt logo work... SORT OF...

A multi monitor issue.. when in full screen the alt logo does not work on the second screen, strangely the portion that scrolls onto the main screen does change. When in a window the alt logo works just fine.

Still somewhat confused though about the placement of files... through this whole testing process I have kept the updated zip files in my download folder.. unzipped there and over write the existing MA3Beta.scr file.. Then a shortcut on my desktop to this file starts the SS.. Simple and easy.

I guess that I would expect the MA3Beta.scr file to be copied to the new folder as well and possible an offer of placing a short cut on the desktop. If the MA3Beta.scr was zipped with a path would it then not unzip to that location? Keeping it all together seems a logical final goal...

My choice for ultimate destination of all these files would have been in the program folder.. again to keep it all together in a place "most" software goes.. and where one starts looking for software installed  
Programs go in C:\Program Files\.

Data goes in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\ApplicationName. This is Windows 2000/XP/Vista/WM7 going back 9 years now. Unfortunately programs have ended up putting things in wrong folders, Program Files, or worse the Registry.

The Registry is a rat's nest of overlapping nightmare that I'm surprised anyone can sort out.

I would rather have all Settings and Data stored in "Documents and Settings" (go figure?!) but it was not meant to be.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:41 AM   #35
cjmaddy
Registered

Beta8i still needs AltLogo.png in /Documents and Settings/Your Name/Application Data/Marine Aquarium 3

..... or at least it does on my computer!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #36
loub516
Registered

Tried that one also. Still won't work for me on XP Pro.
LB
loub516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #37
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

It does for me.

XP Pro SP3

Edit: And yes the splash screen does load faster as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Logo_test_08i.jpg (794.7 KB, 36 views)
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:47 AM   #38
cjmaddy
Registered

You look much younger there, Michael....

Incidentally, I've now deleted all references to AltLogo.png and MA3Playlist.lst from all other folders, (including the directory).
They both now reside only in... /Documents and Settings/My Name/Application Data/Marine Aquarium 3

... Windows2000Pro SP4.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #39
Jim Sachs
Developer

I think we've settled on that directory as the final resting place for application data.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #40
Edgar

1 Highscore

In my Vista, it goes to "C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\AppData\Roaming\Marine Aquarium 3". I really think it depends on the OS.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows