Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-12-2009, 04:23 AM   #1
Yodelking
yodeler

1 Highscore

What's next step?

Jim, what's the next step now? (if Edgar manages to fix the last multimonitor problems). Is it to fix the website and then release, animate some more background, redo a fish, or something else?
Yodelking - För god att kolsyra!
Yodelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:38 AM   #2
cjmaddy
Registered

Retreat into a monastery? - Relocate to another planet?
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Wizwad
Only me...

Taking over from Ross Anderson?
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

I've been working on the website for a couple of days. Well, not so much working on it as grinding my teeth while trying to find a decent low-cost screen-recorder program to capture a Lionfish animation. I've downloaded and tried about 30 of them. The cheap ones are all junk, but I can't bring myself to spend $300 for Camtasia, when I'm only going to use it once.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

FRAPS is the #1. It won't work?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

I need something like BB Flashback or Camtasia, where I can draw a rectangle around the area to be captured, record a few seconds, have it automatically come up in the frame editor where I can delete unwanted frames, then save as a highly-compressed Flash video file with the HTML for embedding it into the website. The demo versions of both those programs work great.

What I've always wished for is a software-rental agency. There are so many times when I just need to do something once, and can't justify spending a huge amount of money on the software. In the real world, if I need to dig a trench, I'll rent a trencher for $40 - not buy it for $1000 and have it sit in the garage for the next 30 years. Why can't I just rent Camtasia for two hours? Or Dreamweaver if I just want to put together one website? Or Lightwave if I just want to build one scene? Or Adobe Premiere, if I just want to create one video clip?
Jim Sachs
Old 01-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Dreamweaver and Adobe Premiere are available as 30 day trials.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 01-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

Unrestricted?
Jim Sachs
Old 01-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I have not checked them out in detail, but I believe they function for 30 days.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
Jim Sachs
Developer

So does BB Flashback, but it puts a huge advertisement on all your frame-captures.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
Socrates
Sage

Maybe multiple tools. Some free or cheap avi capture program. Some utility to export the frames as jpeg (maybe lsmaker which is a specialized free utility for lightsaber effects but will import frames from an avi file and export jpegs). Then import the frames into movie maker or something, edit or delete them, etc then use some cheap or free wma to flv converter?

Not elegant but for a one off with a low price tag might not be too bad.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yeah - I think I'll need to do something like that.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
rps
Registered

Jim,
I have Camtasia on my computer (I use it for creating software training videos at work). If you tell me what you want, I can try and capture it for you.

~Ralph S.
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for the offer, but that wouldn't work. I need to be the one going back and forth between modifying MA3, capturing a sequence, trying it out against the background of the website, adjusting the animation and colors, etc. As with anything I try, there will literally be hundreds of failures before I get something I can use.

On the bright side I just found out that Adobe Premiere can export Flash, even though it is not on the list of file formats supported. I just downloaded a capture program called Taksi, which looks like it will do the job of capturing raw frames. I should be able to re-write MA3 so that a Lionfish will stay in the same place and go through a repeating "treading-water" move. Then I need to make the surrounding window tightly cropped around the fish, and cature one swim-cycle. I can then use Premiere to edit the frames and save it as a Flash animation. I still need do figure out how to incorporate that animation into the web site.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #15
Rick Simon
Registered

3 Highscores

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I can then use Premiere to edit the frames and save it as a Flash animation. I still need do figure out how to incorporate that animation into the web site.  
Depends on what format of Flash it is saved in. I do a fair number of Shockwave-Flash based slide show videos on some of the web sites I build. Here's a sample of the coding I use:

http://webpages.charter.net/rlsimon/object_code.txt

See if Premiere will output the video as a web page, then take a peek at the code it generates. Pay special attention to the CLSID code as that identifies the specific ActiveX component IE will need.
Rick Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #16
jleslie
Engineer

Have you tried Bulent's screen recorder? I liked it enough to pay for it...
There's a free, but old, one:
http://johnbokma.com/software-recomm...llBSR_v15a.exe
or the full one with a trial:
http://www.thesilver.net/
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #17
StuDisney
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I need something like BB Flashback or Camtasia, where I can draw a rectangle around the area to be captured, record a few seconds, have it automatically come up in the frame editor where I can delete unwanted frames, then save as a highly-compressed Flash video file with the HTML for embedding it into the website. The demo versions of both those programs work great.

What I've always wished for is a software-rental agency. There are so many times when I just need to do something once, and can't justify spending a huge amount of money on the software. In the real world, if I need to dig a trench, I'll rent a trencher for $40 - not buy it for $1000 and have it sit in the garage for the next 30 years. Why can't I just rent Camtasia for two hours? Or Dreamweaver if I just want to put together one website? Or Lightwave if I just want to build one scene? Or Adobe Premiere, if I just want to create one video clip?  
Sound like a new bussness for some one to start!
"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children."

“Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional”
StuDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows