Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 07-20-2001, 12:07 AM   #1
Socrates
Sage

** Starfish questions here -- See 99L FINAL for others **

Is it supposed to crawl up the glass?

Or just put a tentacle or tw on there and then move on (this is what it's doing now).

Jim hinted that there was some secret to getting it to do something. I've been trying combos of fish and stuff, but there are a lot of combos of settings in this program.

By the way that bad boy is MESMERIZING. I'v been watching it slide back and forth for an hour!!!!
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 12:20 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: Question on the starfish.

Yes there's a secret. It needs a little privacy to switch. (Has nothing to do with the fish in the tank.)
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 12:21 AM   #3
ajlaban
Registered

Socrates,

My experiences are the same as yours, it hasn't got onto the glass yet. Once it got way into the left corner and I thought that might do it but then it came back out on the sand. Maybe different lighting variables, I haven't tried that.
Passed away August 27, 2008.
ajlaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 12:30 AM   #4
Socrates
Sage

Well I figured out how to "kill" the star fish and make it float in the center of the screen. Pretty funny. I think it's a minor bug, but I don't want to post a pic unless Jim says to do it.

Thanks for the hint, I'll keep trying.
Old 07-20-2001, 01:20 AM   #5
hayc59
VoodØØ Child™

hey, we all been waiting so long for this!! how about giving up the secrect!! please
ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêÐ
Never Forget

God Bless America

hayc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 02:02 AM   #6
multivitamin
Registered

I know how to get the starfish climb the glass! Do you want me to reveal the secret? Or try yourself! Jims hint: privacy! Think about how you can make privacy in this aquarium!
www.MULTIVITAMIN-GRAPHICS.de - Und Dein Auge HAT ein Zuhause (For all the Germans here )
multivitamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 02:39 AM   #7
Socrates
Sage

Well I know what hasn't worked! Actually I am getting pretty frustrated with it. Every puzzle has a limit in the "fun" area.

Here's what I've tried. Tell me if one of these should have worked. If one should have, something's wrong.

1. Turn down all the lights.
2. Elminiate all other fish. This usually "kills" the starfish, leaving it "floating" imobile in the center of the screen.
3. Tun with just one fish, with rotating lights and lights turned down.
4. Refuse to touch the mouse or keyboard for 10+ minutes at a time, thinking that maybe PC idle is the secret.

I've tried all this in lots of combinations, and given it what seems like plenty of time.

Just tell me if I've tried the right thing with no luck. If I haven't tried it, then OK.

You can email me at brian@ecspcsolutions.com if you don't want to give it away here.

Thankyou.
Old 07-20-2001, 03:21 AM   #8

Glass Crawling

Amazing!!!!

Unchecked the 'Automatic Lights'
Slide the forefround lights to minimum and leave the SS for a while or restart it with minimum foreground lightning. U'll see the cute belly of the starfish. Keep up the good work Jim.

P/S: After it start crawling, put back to normal lightning and enjoy......
Old 07-20-2001, 03:47 AM   #9
Socrates
Sage

Re: Glass Crawling

SOL to me I guess!!!

I have tried the low light setting. It does not work.

It's been running in the corner of my screen for for over an hour in the lowest light setting possible. Also tried just leaving it alone like that in fullscreen.

My system is: Ali Aladdin Chipset, K6-2 500, 256MB, ATA100 45GB Maxtor, Elsa Geforce2 MX 32MB (with Feldon's recommended drivers), Phoneline Nic, Creative Live!Value, WinMe, DX8a, Rockwell PCI Modem.
Old 07-20-2001, 04:32 AM   #10
Jim Sachs
Developer

Make sure the foreground lights are completely black when the starfish is up against the glass, and it will switch. Automatic lights will eventally cause a switch, but it could be hours.
Jim Sachs
Old 07-20-2001, 04:37 AM   #11
Socrates
Sage

100% Black isn't possible - at least on mine.

I can slide it all the way down, but it never actually goes lower than aroun 1/4th lighting. You can see this by setting it, then hitting space again and the slider is a quarter above the bottom.

It will go all black on auto so my card can do all black. The version in ABOUT is "V0.99L (Beta)".
Old 07-20-2001, 04:45 AM   #12
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

SocratesLGK,

Hold your "Down" arrow key untill the screen goes all the way down. It will help if the starfish has a leg or two on the glass to begin with. Turning the lights down, does not force him to go to the glass, it just allows him to if he is there already.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 04:54 AM   #13
Socrates
Sage

This is as dark as I can get it manually. It ill go black automatically, but neither the settings panel nor the down arrow can drop the lights below this:

<font size=+2>Humongous picture retired</font>

ADMIN EDIT: I hope you don't mind, but it was taking a long time for 56k users to view this page.
Old 07-20-2001, 05:11 AM   #14
Socrates
Sage

Ok. I had to delete the registry key and then put my key codes back in.

This was the answer to some other unrelated problem (which I can't remember) some months ago too.

Thanks to Jav for waking me up so I could think.
Old 07-20-2001, 07:35 AM   #15

Make sure the foreground lights are completely black when the starfish is up against the glass, and it will switch. Automatic lights will eventally cause a switch, but it could be hours.
My general "lighting?" guess appears to have been correct from the other thread, but I kinda with it would go there anyway, without any intervention.
The animation when viewing the starfish from below if fascinatingly intricate. Even though I've had this since the beginning (I think I had something like the third post on this board), I still fire up the SS and view it as impossible to do, and the starfish just heightens that feeling.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:52 AM   #16
Jim Sachs
Developer

The foreground lights and background lights can't both be totally black at the same time. Turn up the background lights a little if you want the foreground to get completely dark.
Jim Sachs
Old 07-20-2001, 10:40 AM   #17

I've noticed several people say they killed their starfish. I was just wondering if this is not a bug how do you do it?

How ironic is this, i've waited for months for the starfish, and now that i have it, i want to kill it
Old 07-20-2001, 11:08 AM   #18
FrogMastr
Agalychnis callidryas

mmmmm I dont know if this is a bug on my system but when i close the light (foreground) and put aquarium in Wireframe mode , i can see the starfish preparing to climb le glass... the it suddently JUMPS on the glass...

Is theis a bug or that is the *real* )))))))))) reason why the starfish need privacy ?

)))))))))))))))
----
FrogMastr
FrogMastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 11:10 AM   #19
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Solution: Don't use wireframe mode.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 01:13 PM   #20
multivitamin
Registered

Jim,
does the starfish switch back from the glass or is it just able to swith to "glassclimbing"-mode and which means it stays on the glass for the time the ss is running?
www.MULTIVITAMIN-GRAPHICS.de - Und Dein Auge HAT ein Zuhause (For all the Germans here )
multivitamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive