Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
Shulamitefire
Registered

FPS Jerking Me

I have jerky movement of the fish and only 34 frames per second in Marine Aquarium 3. In my 2.6 I have anywhere from 150-200 fps which to me looks good enough. I see that MA3 does not have an option to uncheck a limiting of fps. I have no unusual processes and no applications running in the background and low cpu usage. I have had as high as over 100 fps. but subsequent times launching, reverting to the 34 fps. My video card is an ASUS Extreme 300. Hardware 3D rendering can be used on my monitor by the screensaver according to MA3. Suggestions for my fish and me would be appreciated. My MA 2.6 is nice.
Shulamitefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

If you don't see an option for unchecking "Limit Frame Rate", then I suspect that you are not using v3.1. You can download it here: https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/...Aquarium31.exe

If you still have FPS troubles using that version, come back and we'll try to help.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Shulamitefire
Registered

Thanks much, Jim! I installed 3.1 & unchecked the limitation of fps. Excellent & precisely that which I was looking for. Big blessings on you... :-)

One other issue, when I hit the spacebar the aquarium shuts down. I am reasonably certain I do not have a hotkey set which would cause conflict.

Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
Wizwad
Only me...

Have you got "Exit on Mouse Move" checked, Schulamitefire? If so, then hitting the space bar or any key on the keyboard will also cause the aquarium to exit. If you uncheck that setting then you'll be able to access the settings panel by hitting space while the aquarium continues to run.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
JohnWho
Registered

Not so on mine, Wizwad -

whether "exit on mouse move" is checked or unchecked,

"space bar" brings up the Settings Menu.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Wiz is correct, part of it can be how sensitive the mouse is set. If anything wiggles while that is checked then its gone. It's always best to uncheck that box first and see what happens. 99 percent of the time it will fix the problem.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
Dale
Banned

I have always had "exit on mouse move" checked.

I have never seen the "problem" described above. That is, pressing the space bar always brings up the settings panel.

Pressing some other keyboard key does nothing (except for the defined/documented hotkeys for the particular version, which do something).

That behavior includes several years, many versions of MA, something like 15 computers, running everything from Windows XP to Windows 7, 64-bit.

[I do recall that an early version of MA 2.6 there was an anomaly with a particular mouse driver] [And of course mouse-sensitivity is a possibility]

Jim should be able to easily tell us what is supposed to happen.

I'm not claiming that other folks are wrong about what they observe - but if there are various behaviors on different systems, then it's a something that needs to be tracked down.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
JohnWho
Registered

The point I'm trying to make is that whether the "exit on mouse move" box is checked or unchecked, "space bar" should bring up the Settings menu.

If it does not, the user has some problem.

If unchecking the box stops the problem, then while this is a good troubleshooting step, if the user wants the "exit on mouse move" capability it doesn't resolve his or her issue.

Wizwad states:
Have you got "Exit on Mouse Move" checked, Schulamitefire? If so, then hitting the space bar or any key on the keyboard will also cause the aquarium to exit.
I'm sorry, Wizwad, but that is incorrect - it is not how the program is designed to work. All of the "hotkeys" should be operative whether "exit on mouse move" is checked or unchecked. Or, at least, that is the way it works on my MA 3.1 installations.

Just trying to help.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

Hotkeys like the space bar, should take precendence over mouse movements - though I have seen strange things happen on some machines.
Jim Sachs
Old 07-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Wizwad
Only me...

OK, I concede. I know that in the past, the behaviour I described has been true, but with MA3.1 the 'Exit on Mouse Move' button has no effect on my system.

However, in the interests of exploring every avenue, I still suggest Shulemitefire give it a try and report back.

Unless Dale and JohnWho already know a resolution and can stump up the answer forthwith, that is!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
Dale
Banned

As I indicated, I've never seen that behavior, so I never needed a "fix".

As Jim often says, it's difficult to diagnose the cause if you can't duplicate the symptom.

I tried searching for previous reports of this, but couldn't find any. If anybody can point us to the previous reports, perhaps that would shed some light.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
Dale
Banned

One possibility:

Originally posted by nicwatters:
"When you have antialiazing set to override program settings... the menu won't appear with the space bar... that's always been an issue If I recall."

Taken from post https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ead.php?t=4657 witten by Mith.

If you have Windows Vista, and an Nvidia video card, with the latest Nvidia drivers:

1. Right click the desktop, and then select Nvidia Control Panel.
2. Under Select a Task, expand 3D Settings, and then select Manage 3D settings.
3. On the right hand pane, select the Global Settings tab.
4. In the Settings, select Antialiasing - Mode and chnage the option to Application-controlled. (Or you can click the Restore button to restore all default settings.)  
Old 07-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
Shulamitefire
Registered

Mark, the option for exit on mouse move has always been unchecked. Earlier today hitting the spacebar was bringing up settings, but is now reverted to shutdown of the Aquarium. It is not an issue of annoyance to me as I simply adjust settings from the desktop.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #14
Jim Sachs
Developer

What happens when you right-click, and then choose Settings?
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows