Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
Dale
Banned

MA3.1 Installer Test

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
That's all Installer stuff, which is a total mystery to me.  
I believe that it would be wise for this group to test (and perhaps contribute to improving) the installer version of 3.1, before it is released.

However, that will require active participation by someone who knows about the installer, and is interested in making it as good as practical.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The same installer package is used for Marine Aquarium, Goldfish, and Sharks, for about 5 years now. The only differences between them are content and file placement.

If you have suggestions, go for it.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by feldon34:
The same installer package is used for Marine Aquarium, Goldfish, and Sharks, for about 5 years now. The only differences between them are content and file placement.

If I read between the lines, you're saying that nothing will change. Therefore, comments would be futile.

If that's not correct, then are you able (as tech support) to either speak for Prolific, or act as a 2-way communications channel?

Briefly stating some issues:

A. We don't know what files are being placed (e.g., CanonGuitar.sgt)?

B. Uninstall stuff (integral part of install stuff) is arguably inadequate.

C. We don't know how/if the readme.txt will be handled.

D. We don't know how "Install 3.1 when 3.0 is already installed" will be handled.

Of course, if we don't have an installer version to test, it's really hard to know what to suggest, and impossible to support any suggestions.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

With the uninstall, there really ought to be an option to remove everything or to leave playlists, serial numbers etc intact. Last time we talked about this, I stated my opinion that an uninstaller should remove every single trace of its program, but of course most of them don't. I don't remember that we came to a clear decision on this.
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Nicki:
With the uninstall, there really ought to be an option to remove everything or to leave playlists, serial numbers etc intact. Last time we talked about this, I stated my opinion that an uninstaller should remove every single trace of its program, but of course most of them don't. I don't remember that we came to a clear decision on this.  
I believe there was a consensus - and nothing happened.

The uninstaller that "installs" with 3.0 (10d) removes almost nothing. If you run the uninstaller, and then download the 11i .scr file and click on it, it works fine, including all settings, etc. And if you happen to have the 10d .scr file around, and click on that, it also works fine - no need to enter your registration code.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The current uninstaller does not run a registry script wiping the Aquarium.

This is trivially easy for them to add, it's just a question of will they?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
Dale
Banned

The current uninstaller does not run a registry script wiping the Aquarium.  
Nor does it delete the "appdata" MA3 folder and contents.

As Nicki said, the "everything" should be optional for the user.

This is trivially easy for them to add, it's just a question of will they?  
Originally posted by Dale:
However, that will require active participation by someone who knows about the installer, and is interested in making it as good as practical.  
If nobody knows about it, or "they" don't care, then it's a total waste of our time to have this discussion, of course.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
Dale
Banned

Is there a significant probability that suggestions in this area will have any effect at all?
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows