Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-02-2006, 04:21 AM   #1381
spiralmonkey
Developer

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Memory usage, collision avoidance, and especially frame rate are all major factors. Yes, I know that Dream Aquarium does this, but it makes sacrifices that I am not willing to. Even with the minimum amount of fish, the frame rate of Dream Aquarium is extremely low on my computer. I assume this is because the author came from the film industry, where it's OK to take all day to render a frame. Coming from the gaming industry, my main priority is speed and smoothness. I don't know what is causing the slowdown, since Alan has done a wonderful job at keeping the polygon count down. It's possible that his highly effective collision-avoidance and schooling routine is simply a WHOLE LOT of code.  
It's the many transparent layers (i.e. the plants and light rays) that make Dream Aquarium run slow on older hardware. MA doesn't have as significant graphics-card requirements because it has a fairly simple (yet effective) tank with minimal transparency. On good graphics hardware i've found DA generally runs more efficiently than MA because of other optimizations i'm doing. For instance, on my laptop (3 yrs old) at 60fps i get only 25% cpu use in Dream Aquarium whereas Marine Aquarium needs 85% of my cpu for the same frame rate. It depends entirely on your particular hardware setup. Probably in both screensavers the fish calculations themselves are negligible. When not sending polygons to the graphics card, D.A. uses under 1% cpu. While i do come from the cpu-wasteful film industry, i also come from the commodore 64!

A big killer of cpu cycles is something called Vertical Sync, where your cpu has to wait (unfortunately burning cycles) until exactly the right time to display the next frame of animation. Sadly it seems to be unavoidable if smooth playback is desired.

cheers,
alan
Developer of Dream Aquarium
spiralmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #1382
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for the update, Alan. Yes, the rays would do it. I gave up on that idea early on.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #1383
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Is there a way I can find out how many fps I'm getting on DA?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:15 AM   #1384
George
Registered

How about a sea horse ..
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:47 AM   #1385
Jim Sachs
Developer

George - Yes a seahorse is on the list of critters I hope to include in a Creature Pack after I finish v3.0.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-17-2006, 07:09 PM   #1386
George
Registered

Awesome, cant wait for v 3.0
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #1387
pacfishid_queen
Registered

Exclamation

On my wishlist for the aquarium are the following: some nudibranchs, blue ribbon eel, dragonet, golden trumpetfish, unicornfish, and saddled butterflyfish.

I am too spoiled after returning from a dive trip to Bega lagoon in Fiji. Love those Indo-Pacific fishes! Next stop: Turks & Caicos...

Ciao, Y'all!
pacfishid_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #1388
jroseone
Registered

PLEASE ! ! !

Make this fish no screen saver has it and it is the coolest looking fish in the sea !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coral Beauty.jpg (3.4 KB, 396 views)
jroseone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:08 PM   #1389
Jim Sachs
Developer

Looks great - what is it?
Jim Sachs
Old 05-20-2006, 10:10 PM   #1390
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

If I'm not mistaken, its a Coral Beauty Angel. I had one of those years ago when I ran a real salt water tank.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 01:19 AM   #1391
Wombat
Registered

I've just got Marine Aquarium V2.6, and it is great. I send the output from my computer to my widescreen LCD TV via a TV Out S1-video connection, and it is magic. I don't want any more fish, but where are the different tanks? When I hit the [ or ] keys to get them, as it says in the help screen, the program exits. Aree there any extra tanks or not?
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:09 PM   #1392
feldon34
Forum Administrator

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:10 PM   #1393
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Wombat:
I've just got Marine Aquarium V2.6, and it is great. I send the output from my computer to my widescreen LCD TV via a TV Out S1-video connection, and it is magic. I don't want any more fish, but where are the different tanks? When I hit the [ or ] keys to get them, as it says in the help screen, the program exits. Aree there any extra tanks or not?  
I guess those [ and ] directions are standardized from the other products based on the Aquarium engine. There is but one tank/background for the Marine Aquarium. Goldfish Aquarium and Sharks Aquarium each have almost a dozen different background setups.

Glad you're enjoying the Aquarium!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:23 PM   #1394
Jim Sachs
Developer

The [ and ] keys switch from the tank with the crystal in it to the tank with the elephant-ear coral.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-22-2006, 12:10 AM   #1395
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

To get the Crystal mode, the "Exit on Mousemove" in Settings need to be unchecked.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:16 AM   #1396
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Lol, I like your C B Angel better, Morg.

/Tiny Levels
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:50 AM   #1397
Wombat
Registered

Originally posted by Edgar:
To get the Crystal mode, the "Exit on Mousemove" in Settings need to be unchecked.  
Thanks Edgar, that was the problem.
I want exit on mousemove checked but when I do that the ctrlB, CtrlW, [ and ] do not work - hitting them exits the program.
They all work with the exit on mousemove unchecked.

I'd say that is a bug!
Old 05-22-2006, 05:54 AM   #1398
Wombat
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
The [ and ] keys switch from the tank with the crystal in it to the tank with the elephant-ear coral.  
Thanks Jim - but it doesn't do it if the exit on mousemove is checked - see Edgars post below. If the exit on mousemove is checked, hitting [ or ] or Ctrl-B or Ctrl-W just exits the program.

I think that's a bug.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #1399
Jim Sachs
Developer

Edgar and Will handle all the minor user-interface issues. I also feel that none of the hotkeys should trigger the Exit-On-Mouse-Move function. Maybe Edgar could make it so for the next update.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #1400
Bill Logsdon
Registered

Just an observation --- I put the demo of Serene Screen on my daughter's ancient KXP-450 machine with 32mb video and it works great! Smooth and excellent.

I tried the Dream Aquarium product, and even in blank aquarium mode it runs in jerks and fits ...

Kudos to Jim for a superior product even on ancient puters!
Bill Logsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows