Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-16-2003, 12:47 AM   #1
Steven J Lowe
Blue Angel

cpu usage

I have noticed that ga uses a lot more cpu than ma. Is this something that is going to be corrected? Is their a way of lowering it? I turned down my fps to 58-55-50 but it made no difference.
Steven J Lowe
Steven J Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 05:48 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

It seems to on mine also. But there is alot more going on than in MA2 since GA at this point has more movement. They might be a ble to tweak and get some improvment, but I would bet when MA2 gets the full background it will rise also.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Ok, it's all about thresholds.

In MA2, if the max FPS that can be generated is 100fps and you set the limit to 58fps with Vsync ON, it's easy to get 25% CPU usage or so.

Since GA does so much more calculation, the max FPS that can be generated on my system seems to be 40fps. CPU usage ramps up dramatically to generate those last few FPS.

So since the "Limit to FPS" slider is a bit off-kilter (setting it to 36 yields 32, setting it to 40 yields 36), I set my "Limit to FPS" slider to 40 and I turned off Vsync with the Ctrl-V key.

Without affecting the animation, I get about 36-38fps and 22% CPU usage.

Frankly, I would like to see a future version of MA2/MAT/FONA/GA that does a brief test on initial run to see how many max FPS it can generate and then instead of a "Limit FPS" slider (this would be moved to an Advanced panel), just have a "Limit CPU usage to only what is necessary for smooth animation" checkbox.

In this case, my FPS would automatically limit itself to 38fps or 40fps and my CPU usage would be a perfect 22%.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 02:12 PM   #4
Cuddlywolf
Registered

Thanks Steve for posting this, I was going to do it myself later this week as I was seeing the very same thing.
Cuddlywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 06:45 PM   #5
klyntun

Embarassed A question for the masters...

I've noticed on a couple of the demos I've downloaded (particularly the ATI 9800 Chimp demo) that CPU usage is 100% while they are running. I'm guessing that is due to the amazingly complicated 3D graphics. The demos run smoothly enough, especially as I have the 9700, not the 9800 card. Is there any chance though that I could harm my card or computer by running something that goes at 100%? Or is there some "safety switch" that flicks on or off to prevent anything untoward from occurring?
Please instruct me, oh knowledgable ones!
Old 05-16-2003, 08:56 PM   #6
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

The answer to that question depends on how your computer is set up. The main enemy that you have is heat. Running your system no matter if it is the cpu or the video card at full bore all the time can cause problems if the heat build up is not taken care of properly. I did read an article recently about video cards and screensavers particularly, the gist of it was that in the tests for some reason the cooling fan wasn't kicking in properly because it was a screensaver, even though it was causing the card to produce 3D all the time, it eventually fried the card because of too much heat. Unfortunatley I don't remember the particulars about which card it was refering too. So this is definately something to watch for. If you have the proper cooling and your temps stay low no matter if it is the card or the cpu then you are fine.

Now that being said, I have been here for years now running Jim's screensaver. For the longest time it ran 24/7 and I have never had any problems. But, I have also installed extra fans within my tower case, whcih should be helping this. Now I am set to run for an hour and then energy saving shuts me off.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 01:12 AM   #7
klyntun

Exclamation

Thanks, Jav400. Does ambient room temperature affect this also?
Would training an external fan to blow onto the tower be worth the effort? (Questions, always more questions!).
Old 05-17-2003, 01:19 AM   #8
fishbowl
Cramped Quarters

Michael,
I believe that would be the Nvidia GeForce FX 5800 Ultra board that ain't to fond of screensavers. They seem to get 'em a little hot around the collar.

You can read more about it here: http://www.megagames.com/news/html/h...ensavers.shtml

or here:http://www.pcekspert.com/articles/127-1.html
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:33 AM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

This $400 card turns its fan on or off depending NOT on the temperature of the chip, BUT whether a Direct3D application is detected.

nVidia =
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 06-06-2003, 09:23 AM   #10
Darkness2k
The Lord of Darkness

Well I've noticed that the Goldfish (with 5 fish) runs at 47FPS where Marine Aquarium 2 (with 7 fish and a starfish) runs in excess of 120FPS...
I attributed this to higher polygon fish etc
Welcome to the Darkness
http://www.darkness2k.dsl.pipex.com/Shared/TagMini.jpg (Visit it manually)
Darkness2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 11:48 AM   #11
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Darkness,

Please turn off the BMW advertisement. Thanks.

Unless I can have this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg signature.jpg (26.5 KB, 228 views)
Old 06-06-2003, 12:07 PM   #12
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Morg,
You're just jealous 'coz he's running XP Pro...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 02:33 PM   #13
grape_jellyfish
Registered

Hehe, you know how to fan the flames dont you Tiny.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
grape_jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 03:40 PM   #14
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'm just amazed that people think BMWs are photogenic or eye-catching in any sense of the word. They are what you buy when you don't want to be noticed.

Actually, the only time I notice BMWs is when they are cutting me off in traffic in a hurry to get to whoever's house they're on the phone with.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:26 PM   #15
Tornado Tom
Tommy Turtle

ya ehhh! you would think that faster fish would be better, slow moving fish. I would like to see faster fish as well dudes.

I really think, just me of course, that slow fish slow down cpu.
14 Little Fish Needs A
New Larger Aquarium!
Tornado Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows