Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
klind75997
Registered

beta vs beta with installer

nm

Last edited by klind75997; 05-26-2009 at 05:10 AM.
klind75997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Wow, I've never heard of this problem before. There should be no difference in the actual program between the "naked" version and the installer version. All the installer does is put it in the proper directory, but that's just as easy to do manually. By the way, the version with the installer is 10a. Version 10b is the latest "beta-beta" without an installer.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
RA
Registered

nm

Last edited by RA; 05-25-2009 at 04:07 AM.
RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'm guessing that Windows ZIP program is freaking out or there is some incompatibility.

You could use 7Zip or Winzip or some other program.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

Ah, Morgan's right - it must be the unZipping process that's causing you trouble. I'll put up an uncompressed version when I get a few minutes. That way, you can simply download it and run it from anywhere on your computer. The right-click/install feature is only necessary if you want to run it as an automatic screensaver - you can always just double-click the icon or filename to run the program.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Dale
Banned

Jim, klind75997 found a solution; never said what OS he/she is using; first said: "When I try, my system just shows a repeating flashing window and the only way to stop it is to reboot the system. " but now apparently that system lockup doesn't happen??????; and obviously has some unzip program that works correctly (see below)to extract the file.

His/her system perhaps has some problem that doesn't occur for anybody else.

Originally posted by klind75997:
I finally found a way to do this. When the screen to install or save pops up, I now save it to my desk top. Then I right click icon and select extract files. After that a screen with new MA3 logo pops up and I right click that and select the option to install from there. Wala, no problem now. I now have the beta 10b version. I also have my 10a version with installer to go back to when this beta (10b) expires. I only wish these betas came with installers a lot sooner. I just hope I remember this process when the next beta comes out. I wish there were not so many steps. Installer versions are so much better.  
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by klind75997:
Dale, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave out this info for you. So here it is now. My operating system is Windows XP home, IE7. Any other info I should post for you? This problem still happens only when I download from here or fish-bite. Otherwise I have to utilize the method I mention earlier which has a few more steps to do. Updates with installer work just fine; no problems. Without installer is where the problems begin.  
I think we are just not understanding what you are experiencing.

What browser are you using? IE7? If so, it probably asks "Do you want to open or save this file?"

Do you have any other browser available to try?

Exactly what steps do you use when you have the "problem"? That is, exactly what steps do you perform to make your computer "hang"? That is - do you click on "open", and then the system hangs?

You say "download from here" - what do you mean by that?

After you SAVE the file, you right-click on it, and the selection list includes an "extract file" item? And then you right-click on the extracted file, and install from there? Do I have that right?

What happens, in that case, if you LEFT-click on the extracted file (the one with the MA3 icon)?

Oh, one last question - do you want the Beta-Beta to run as a screensaver, also? Or are you just interested in running the simulation by clicking on it?

Your description seems to indicate that you think that the Beta-Beta version (the one without an installer) has an installer. It doesn't have an installer. So, there will always be more steps to do with the Beta-Beta that Jim posts.

If I have correctly understood your problem, the only thing "wrong" is that (for some reason) IE7 on your computer doesn't know how to handle .zip files.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows