Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 06-11-2004, 12:45 PM   #1
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

nVidia Stereo drivers 56.72

In trying to solve another problem last night I got to looking at drivers among other things. I updated to DX 9b, and changed to these drivers, both the standard set and the 3d stereo set, which must match in release number for things to work properly. I had excellent results with these stereo drivers. Jim's aquarium looked at least 3-4 feet deep using these. The separation was excellent on my system. For those that tried the earlier versions and had any problems, these might help the situation.

Now my only complaint was the cutout looking coral, can you help me out here Jim?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:49 AM   #2
cjmaddy
Registered

Well I was going to give these a miss, but then I decided to try them out, - nVidia must get it right eventually with their stereo drivers, ....... mustn't they?

My experience of their stereo drivers (4523 and 5664) has not been good, (and that's putting it mildly!), others also seem to have had similar problems, and I have to report that these 5672 are no better. (On my system!)

4523 did at least work as normal drivers, with some success in stereo mode also, but these latest 5672 are behaving just the same as the 5664 drivers did, - ie. black screen complete lock up requiring a power down/up when trying to run screensavers, even when not in stereo mode.

As I have said before, a good stereo image would be very nice to see, but I still think the novelty would soon wear off through having to constantly wear an additional pair of bulky shutter glasses all the time. - I really can't believe there will be any sizeable interest, after all, we know what happened to 3D in the cinema!

Add to that the sheer size of the two combined drivers, (downloading on dial-up), and the problems of installing, and then re-installing the previous drivers, and the exercise begins to lose it's attraction for me!

This does not reflect on you Michael, I wish you luck with your testing, - please do keep us informed, and thanks for letting us know about them!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:43 AM   #3
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I am sorry to hear about your continued problems. These do seem to work fine for me so far. I am assuming that you are using these with your 2k set up? For me, they produce an excellent 3d image and the effect is fantastic on the aquarium. I have tried them with the sharks saver as well and it produces an even deeper look that makes the sharks swimming towards you look great. Stereo drivers are tricky things to use and get running correctly at times, unfortunately it is the nature of the beast. Can you tell me the exact process that you followed to try and run these Cliff, and are you using DX9 as well?
Old 06-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #4
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Does anybody (doc?) know if there are stereo drivers for ATi cards? Not that I have neither the glasses nor stereographic vision, but anyways...

/Tiny Parallax
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #5
drfish
the Doc

I don't think so. ATI has a few things they need to add to their drivers before they have time to mess around with frivolous 3D glasses stuff... I believe there are some glasses out there that claim to be driver independant though...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 08:39 AM   #6
cjmaddy
Registered

Please don't worry about it any more Michael, - I don't! - I really don't think all the time and effort that must be spent producing 3D is really worth it. - Can you really see a time when we all sit at our computers wearing goggles?
(..... Think what a stereo screen looks like to anyone NOT wearing special glasses! )

But to answer your questions, yes, this was with my 2K set up. - Whilst these latest 5672 stereo drivers state that they are for xp2kme9x, the standard 5672 drivers are xp2k specific. (I only downloaded the 2000 set) ... I am using DX9.0b.

5672 and 5664 drivers do not work correctly on my system. - Enabling stereo, or even starting a screensaver in mono, causes a black-screen lock-up, that requires a power down/up to escape from.

The 4523 stereo drivers did work, - but with the stereo flickering problems detailed in past forum threads. - but they did work! - which suggests something wrong with the new drivers. But I also accept that my ageing system may be contributing to the problem.

I have used the same processes to install/run all the above drivers, and have just reinstalled/checked all three of them!

5303 drivers work fine and are the ones I use, - but are not stereo.

My only reason for trying stereo in the first place was out of curiosity, and the fact that I could get hold of some reasonably priced shutter glasses.

It was an interesting exercise at the time, but I consider it only a novelty, (and one that soon wears off). I really don't see a time when the bulk of Jim's customers will be buying the Aquarium, and also buying shutter glasses, downloading and installing 14.5MB of drivers, and sitting at their computers wearing shutter glasses!

I have no wish to criticise those that do, but on a grand scale it just isn't going to happen! - IMO!

From the wording of Doc's post I assume I'm not the only one who is not over keen on the 3D glasses concept!
Old 06-13-2004, 11:05 AM   #7
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I have also played games using the glasses and it makes it much more interesting. I'm not sure if you ever play any games or not, but now its getting to be a challenge to me to try and figure out why they work on my system and not on yours. If we are both using 2k Pro, and have the same version of DX, and the same drivers, using the same settings, I would think that you would see something close to the same as I do. I know you aren't overly excited about this option, I guess its just the figuring out why you are not getting the same results.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:54 PM   #8
cjmaddy
Registered

Probably just my older computer Michael, ...... ?
Old 06-13-2004, 07:21 PM   #9
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I thought about that Cliff, but I have to almost rule it out. The one I am using the drivers on is over 6 years old, granted I have updated it since I bought it with a faster processor, video card, etc. etc., but its still the same mobo and so on. So I don't think age specifically would be the culprit.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:24 AM   #10
drfish
the Doc

Well Cliff has a FX 5200, right? And a K6-2 500, correct? That probably means he doesn't have the greatest framerate in the world... And for 3D glasses to work well you really need a very high FPS, sometimes to the point that you're limited by the refresh rate on your monitor, even with vsync off... In fact, I believe you need to have vsync turned on to do the shutter glasses thing??? Or maybe it just looks better and is highly recommended... Anyway, ideally you'd have you're screen doing 160Hz or so (mine can only do that high at 800x600) and your framerate would be that or higher, that way you'd have 80FPS or so for each eye (so you could get away with as little at 60Hz and 30 FPS an eye, but because of the 3D it won't "look" as smooth/good as 30FPS normally does)... Basically you're cutting your framerate in half when you use 3D glasses because the image needs to be drawn twice as many times for your eyes to percieve the same fluidity... So maybe age is an issue...

Maybe this was all said before, but I haven't read the whoe thread so forgive me... Also I've never used shutter glasses before, and I haven't looked into them for a few years but I believe all the above holds true...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:21 AM   #11
cjmaddy
Registered

Yup! - that seems to make sense to me. - Perhaps not age per se, but having reached the mobo's upper limit of only a 500 CPU, then that's one probable bottleneck. - But for most of the time it is more than adequate for my needs, so for now, - if it ain't broke, .......

But this does seem to throw light on Jim's dilemma of trying to keep the screensavers operable on modest systems, and at the same time accommodate the higher end's demands for high FPS and 3D! - (By that I mean Shutter glasses, - not the moving background! )

........ still, it keeps him off the streets!
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive