Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 07-08-2004, 09:01 PM   #1
Bairman
Registered

Cool Windows Server 2003

I used to run Serenescreen Aquarium v1.1 on Windows 2000 Server and had no problems. I've since reloaded the exact same box with Windows Server 2003 and now the aquarium runs but the bubble column is frozen. I remember briefly having that problem under W2K Server, and upgrading to the latest video driver corrected the problem, but not so with 2K3. Does anyone know if there is some graphics functionality in W2K Server that was removed in 2K3 that could be causing the problem? The simple solution would be to disable the bubble column, but I rather like it. Any ideas?
--
Bairman
Bairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:32 PM   #2
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Hi Bairman -- Just wanted to say welcome to the forum. Someone will be along with the answer to your question.

Minn
Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:38 PM   #3
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Well, if you have upgraded your video card drivers, my next guess would be to make sure you are running DX9.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:47 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

If you have an older video card, you can try scaling back the resolution and/or color depth of the Aquarium.

Fire up the Aquarium and press SPACE to bring up Settings. Set the color to "16-bit" and try that. If that doesn't fix it, try a resolution lower than "Desktop Resolution".
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 08:18 PM   #5
Bairman
Registered

Thanks to both for the help, but those things have been done to no avail. I'm guessing that MS has changed something in 2K3 Server that prevents Serenescreen from operating correctly. After all, it's a server OS and not necessarily designed to run such programs. But it would be nice to get it to work. If I find a solution I'll be sure and post it. Thanks again.
--
Bairman
Old 07-11-2004, 09:03 PM   #6
Bairman
Registered

I found the solution! Some DirectX features are disabled by default in Windows Server 2003. Upon running dxdiag, I found that Direct3D acceleration and AGP Texture acceleration were enabled, but DirectDraw acceleration was not. Once I enabled it... presto! I got my aquarium back!
--
Bairman
Old 07-11-2004, 11:44 PM   #7
Socrates
Sage

2K3 was touted as the first product from MS under their new (alleged) "security first" attitude.

They decided to start making it so that all optional features are off at installation. The idea being that instead of going through the machine at install and turning things off, you would go through and turn things on instead.

It means that at install the product will have many of it's features totally diabled.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:27 AM   #8
Electronic Punk
Twisted Animator

And what CPU usage does the screensaver use on this system?
Electronic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 06:24 AM   #9
Bairman
Registered

Negligible. There's no impact on normal server operation, but bear in mind this is a home network with light traffic.
--
Bairman
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive