Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-26-2002, 12:20 AM   #1
Smellig
Registered

Unhappy Voodoo Cards and Micro$oft Window$ XP

I have a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP card, and am running Windows XP. My fish and backgrounds are WHITE! Any one who has found drivers that work with this AQUARIUM program and games, most do one but not the other, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE lemme know! I have tried countless drivers from countless sources.
Any info would be nice. Ta. (I don't wanna think I wasted $20 because of a driver issue)
Smellig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 12:52 AM   #2
Shinsa
Registered

I'm still using Win 98se with my Voodoo 5 5500.

I didn't think there was a driver available for WinXP. The only drivers I have are the ones from www.x3dfx.com (the officially unofficial web site for voodoo cards)

Try each driver. I did have problems with almost every 3D program when I used the "latest" driver. So I downgraded to the second newest driver, and it made a big difference.

Of course this is with Win 98, NOT XP.

Good luck finding more drivers.
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 01-26-2002, 01:14 AM   #3
Socrates
Sage

This gets asked and answered so often I am surprised it isn't in the faq.

https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ght=white+fish

https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...der=descending
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 03:38 AM   #4
Smellig
Registered

Question Damn XP 'n' dem VooDoo Cards

Yes, allthough the fellow you mentioned in your post above was running on a completely diffrent set up, he did have similar problems.
By using the drivers Micro$oft supply I can fix it so I see the fish, but then the drivers don't work to run games. Micro$oft Driver$ are the WORST out there for gaming. Billy Bo Bob Gate$ is the DEVIL.;0)
I really appreciate your input, and please accept my thanx.
Sometimes it's better to be quiet and look a fool,
Than to speak and remove all doubt.
Old 01-26-2002, 02:10 PM   #5
Socrates
Sage

Did you read the part about downloading the PATCH from Microsoft.

I believe you also have to install DirectX and the correct driver in the right order. And there is something about clicking to rplace newere files with older files. There is also something about VIA might need the correct 4 in1 ... etc.

Really go through all the posts. As I understand it, people have solved this problem.

Did you also look in the help section.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 03:07 PM   #6
Smellig
Registered

Big Grin Voodoo and Serene Scene

I have not looked through all of the posts on this forum, but I have looked through all of the help associated with this program only to find no help for me. I will endever to peruse the posts untill I am done, or I find some USEFUL information.
Thanx again for your input Socrates, I appreciate anyone who is willing to help a fellow silicone head!

The search continues.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:23 PM   #7
Smellig
Registered

Big Grin Voodoo Blue!

Just want to keep this thread on top so people will see it and if they have ANY info an drivers that will run the ScreenSaver and Games, to please let me and Jman know. (we have $20 bucks invested here, do you know how many smartees that will buy?)

There have got to be more Voodoo Users out there with this WHITE on WHITE problem...

Let's beat this thing.........
Old 01-26-2002, 04:23 PM   #8
Smellig
Registered

Micro$oft'$ Driver$

OK, so the battle rages on....

I uninstalled 3DFX tools, then used Regedit to remove all traces of 3DFX in the registry.

I then removed the Voodoo 5 5500 Card in Device Manager, and rebooted.

XP then installed is own driver upon restart, I then went to Window$ update and installed the newest XP driver they offered.

Voila, the Screen Saver Works, but as always games do NOT! AS ALWAYS.

Must find a way now to replace Micro$oft'$ OpenGL driver with a working 3rd party driver.Will keep forum informed.

I WILL BEAT THIS. Mark my words!

(By the way, now that I have seen it with more than the 3 fish, GREAT JOB! Well Done!)
(Billy Gate$ on the other hand, you SUK)

Last edited by Smellig; 01-26-2002 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2002, 03:29 AM   #9
Shinsa
Registered

The Aquarium is using Direct3D (D3D), not OpenGL or GLIDE.

Check your games. Are they D3D or OpenGL? I have games that are both, and the Voodoo card works differently for each.
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 01-27-2002, 03:37 PM   #10
Smellig
Registered

Exclamation

You are running Windows 98 se, I have XP.
This is where the problem begins.....

I am a veteran of monkeying with my computer and tweeking the settings, and am FULLY aware of the diffrent modes my graphix card will run in. I also know what games run glide best and which prefer D3D. Games running in D3D on a glide enabled card generally look like hell in comparison. 3DFX even recomends NOT using D3D on a glide enabled card, because Glide looks and plays sooooo much bertter.

I have spend four days downloading drivers and installing them in numerous combinations to no avail. With 3rd party drivers I can get my Glide Apps to work, and all other D3D except the fish. With The Micro$oft drivers I can make the fish work, and all other D3D apps, but not glide (openGL).

The drivers Micro$oft supply in their Window$ Update are crap.

Most 3rd party drivers are also crap.

I have downloaded and installed over 70 diffrent drivers sets (including the Microcrap drivers) and have found no combination or individual set that will run every thing. Most of the time the drivers will run everything except the fish. The fish I am afraid were a waste of my $20. OK it's not a lot of money, but it's money I no longer have.

I have chosen to keep the drivers that run every other glide and Direct 3D app, except the fish, and to sacrifice the fish (and my $20)

Untill I SEE otherwise, there are NO DRIVERS that will do it all yet.

Thanx for your continued efforts, and all of your input.

Billy Gate$, you are a criminal who just happens to have the market by the balls, just remember sport, you can't take it with you.

Last edited by Smellig; 01-27-2002 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2002, 04:30 PM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

If your equipment will not run the Aquarium, we will refund your money, and remove you from the database. Contact SereneScreen Customer Support.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 10:11 PM   #12
Smellig
Registered

I can run it, but only if I forfeit my Glide.

I do not want a refund, its not your fault.

I am still looking for drivers. Will keep forum posted, I wont quit trying, as this program showed me a flaw in my system I had no idea was there. If I look at it that way, I will call your Serene Aquarium a Utility, hows that?

Thanx Jim, but use it for the persuit of good my friend.

DOWN WITH MICRO$OFT!
Old 01-28-2002, 03:25 AM   #13
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

OK Smellig, you think Microsoft is bad, Billy G is bad and blah blah blah - Give it a rest, will ya?

/Tiny
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 04:17 AM   #14
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It's not 100% Microsoft's fault that 3dfx isn't around anymore to write proper drivers.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 05:49 PM   #15
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Here, Here, Feldon23.

I agree with Feldon. If 3DFX was still around, I am sure that WinXP/Voodoo users would not have any driver problems.

MS drivers have ALWAYS been "bare bones" drivers. Their driver sets seem to include just a BASIC set of instructions.

How can MS be responsible for making another company's drivers? If I make Chevy trucks, how can I be responsible if the steering wheels on Ford trucks break? Answer: I can't! Of course, the only exception is if there was some sort of contract between the two companies but this is not the case with MS and 3DFX.

I am not saying that Bill Gates is my friend, but I do try and look at problems with an unbiased eye.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 11:45 PM   #16
Smellig
Registered

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle
OK Smellig, you think Microsoft is bad, Billy G is bad and blah blah blah - Give it a rest, will ya?

/Tiny
I know it's hard not to post your two cents worth, I appologize if I bore you. Oh and thanx for the help! I appreciate your input it has really helped me sort out this problem I have been working on for, well, 6 days now.

I am gettin a bit ragged around the edges and have been fighting my system ever since I installed Windows XP. So there's a bit more to it than just the Voodoo driver issues.

Anyways, you are probably yawning so I will end this now with no mention of how badly B.G. is givin it to us all, or how his monoploy has stiffled the creative process, etc etc. Sorry!

Still fightin' Would still love some input from another voodoo user with the same White on White problem who has found a driver, or other work around. Its not just about seeing the fish, I would like my card to run both D3D and Glide apps, as it is supposed to do.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:17 AM   #17
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Microsoft didn't put 3dfx out of business. They put themselves out of business. Notice that video cards is one of the few places where Microsoft has not tried to seriously compete.

It's nVidia that won in the video card wars (some say by default).

If you want to yell at someone, talk to the 3dfx management that screwed it up, or to nVidia who went from nothing to replacing 3dfx.

Windows 2000/XP do require excellent drivers to run properly, otherwise they are as unstable as Windows 98 and ME.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 03:12 PM   #18
Smellig
Registered

Not once have I blamed Microsoft for putting 3dfx outta bidness!

Jeez people, can't a guy have a bit of a rant?

Y'all R 2 Sensative!

Anyone with DRIVER related info please REPLY!

But thanx to the rest of you too! You opinions mean as much to me as mine do to you! ;0)

Driver Info Replies would be more helpfull!
Old 01-31-2002, 12:11 AM   #19
Shinsa
Registered

Voodoo drivers

I can only think of these two places right now. If you know of any other good ones, please post them.

www.x3dfx.com

www.voodoofiles.com
Bob

Old 01-31-2002, 12:28 AM   #20
Shinsa
Registered

A message from Bill Gates

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
You thought XP stands for "experience"? HAHAHA.... its nothing more than a smiley, eyes winced shut and tongue firmly making rasberries!!! XP
Shinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive