Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

View Poll Results: What version of DirectX do you run?
DirectX 6 2 2.78%
DirectX 7 4 5.56%
DirectX8 65 90.28%
I don't know 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2002, 01:06 PM   #1
Prolific-Matt
Developer

What version of DirectX do you run?

We are very interested in seeing what users are running as their version of DirectX.
-Matt Miller
Prolific-Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 01:15 PM   #2
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

How can I find out?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 01:23 PM   #3
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Patrick,

Click the Start button and then go to Run. In the run box, type: dxdiag When it pops up, look att he bottom of the window and it will tell you.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 01:25 PM   #4
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Go to Start ---> Run and type in "dxdiag" ( without the quotes ) and hit OK. This will bring up a test program. Look at the bottom of the main information screen and it will tell you.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 02:56 PM   #5
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Thanks guys, worked like a charm.

Here's another Q for you, a little off topic though, sorry, but I've seen people write about measuring their CPU usage and how the screensaver is running at 100% or their CPU is down to 40%. What's that about and how can I check mine?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 04:20 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

The results of this poll will be extremely skewed. This is basically asking, "Out of all you tech-savvy people, who know how to join an Internet Forum, who take pride in owning the latest equipment...how many still have DX6?"
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 05:00 PM   #7
Lightfeather

ROFL ^_^

I have direct X 6 on one of my Win 98 ghost images. I don't test on it much however.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Lightfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 05:02 PM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, vote for it, quick -- before it becomes hopeless.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-22-2002, 05:30 PM   #9
Shinsa
Registered

Isn't there a big difference between 8 and 8.1? I know 8.1 fixed a lot of problems I had with startup/shutdown/ and uncommanded restarts.
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 02-23-2002, 03:53 AM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jim, instead of throwing your arms up in the air about this poll, we could be constructive and either add a poll to SereneScreen.com or I can add a poll to my website.

I have found that a poll in the margin on a website is very much like a candy bar or stick of gum at a convenience store next to the cashier. Voting in a poll feeds into the American "Wanting to be heard" mentality and having it as an 'impulse buy' that's just 1 step makes it easy enough that I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't see 35% voting.

In fact, as the dust clears, I'll add one to my website.

I have a few design changes planned for my website, including an "at-a-glance" view of the forum which would be updated 1-2 times a day and a single large button to get upgraded to 1.1 which pops up a separate window to guide you through the process.

Question: For people who have a hyphenated keycode like JL-FESK123942, if they enter it in without the hypen, will they get a match? If so, this note should immediately be added to the <b>support/betacode.asp<b? page. Anything to remove another 20-50 support e-mails from the queue is valuable.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 02-23-2002 at 03:56 AM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 12:24 PM   #11
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

How about attaching a 3 Meg SpyWare to the Aquarium that would send user info to Prolific? Everybody else seem to be doing it which would make it perfectly OK, right?

/Tiny Conspiracy
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 12:51 PM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

Morgan -

Some good points. A poll on your main page might be a little more balanced.

The reason for Matt's poll is this: Microsoft is pressuring us to switch the Aquarium to DX8. Sure, most people who are tech-savvy enough to find the Forum will have DX8. But when I go into a friend's home or a computer store to demonstrate the Aquarium, I almost never find DX8. Just a year ago when I tried to show it at Fry's, every machine had DX5 on it.

Now you know who is going to get the Customer-Service complaint if the Aquarium doesn't run because of an older DX.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-23-2002, 01:01 PM   #13
JPichat
Registered

12 Highscores

DX Version

Guys,

I'm running DX 7.1 (yes, I voted in the poll). Are there benefits to going to DX8. (Aquarium-wise anyway) and what are they?

Jeff
JPichat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 01:17 PM   #14
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jim,

What in the world has Microsoft done to EARN the right to tell you ANYTHING about what you should do?!?!?!

They have hurt your sales probably 300% by pricing Plus at $40 for what is a box of DEMOS.

They refuse to fix a DirectX 8 problem on Windows 95/ME that has resulted in hate mail to you constantly about why the Aquarium cannot do multiple monitors, etc.

They are calling Prolific liars about the exact financial terms.

Tell them you'll go to DirectX 8 as soon as they APOLOGIZE for their laziness and make the DirectX 8 screen saver libraries compatible with Windows 98 and ME. I cannot fathom a world where you are maintaining two separate codebases just because Microsoft refuses to dedicate 20-30 man hours to fix something that is affecting dozens of screen saver developers!!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell

Last edited by feldon34; 02-23-2002 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:17 PM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

JPichat,

It's really only if you have a game that requires it.
Old 02-23-2002, 02:22 PM   #16
HellBound
Registered

umm I run win 98se and direct x 8.1 works perfectly fine on my computer. Altho I havn't tryed it on win 95 or win ME partly because win 95 support is dropping like flies(and win95 is old) and win ME just crashs all the time and its driver compatibility is bad. hehe :P
If u didn't mean win98se then nm but if u did mean direct X 8.0 (8.1)doesn't work on win98se you'd be rong.
HellBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 03:09 PM   #17
Jim Sachs
Developer

I didn't say DX8 would not work on Win98SE, I just said that many people haven't installed it. And rightly so - if DX 6 or 7 is running all their software just fine, why would they risk messing up their computers by installing a new DX? People would blame us for forcing them to switch to DX8, and all the problems that are sometimes caused by the switch.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-23-2002, 03:52 PM   #18
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It has been stated several times that DirectX 8 and the DirectX 8 SCREEN SAVER LIBRARIES which Jim is supposed to use are two entirely different things.

DirectX 8 is compatible with Windows 95, 98, ME.

DirectX 8 screen saver libraries (unless you want Jim to write the screen saver in DirectX 7) are NOT.

From the Frequently Asked Questions guide (which pops up every time you visit this forum from my website):

"Jim Sachs spent 2 months writing a DirectX 8 version of the Aquarium to be licensed to Microsoft for inclusion on OEM Windows XP computers and in the Microsoft XP Plus pack.

The other goal of this rewrite was to move the Aquarium over to DirectX 8. Due to serious bugs in the DirectX 8 screen saver libraries provided by Microsoft when running on Windows 95, 98, and ME, Jim has had to abandon all plans for a DirectX 8 version of the Aquarium. The DirectX 8 version of the Aquarium, when run in Windows 95/98/ME, has problems with the password and settings screens in addition to instability. Microsoft acknowledges the problem but has no plans to fix it, dedicating themselves solely to Windows XP. Jim does not have the time or resources to write and maintain 2 versions of the Aquarium, one for 95/98/ME and one for 2000/XP."
Old 02-23-2002, 04:19 PM   #19
Jim Sachs
Developer

One of the main problems with DX8 is the inability to know whether you are displaying the front buffer or the back buffer. Therefore, if you display a dialog box, there is a 50% chance that it will be behind the main screen. This appears to lock up the machine, but it's really just an invisible dialog waiting for input from the user.

My DX8 Plus Pack Demo gets around this by not having any dialog boxes. The only way the Settings panel can be viewed is from the Display Settings screen.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-23-2002, 04:30 PM   #20
feldon34
Forum Administrator

On 95, 98, and ME you mean. This dialog box problem doesn't happen on XP or 2000 does it?
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive