Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
JohnWho
Registered

Question Minor problem

Hi -

I'm new here and hopefully this is the right place to report this problem.

Downloaded MA3 beta a few days ago. I have v 2.6 and was amazed when I saw the differences in MA3. Great job! The 3d effect is impressive.

I've had one very small problem, though:

When I add a "png" image to the list to be displayed in the crystal, when it changes from one of the clock/calendars to the image there is a slight hesitation to all the movement, scrolling and the fish movement. I lowered the frame rate from what I was getting which was over 140 fps to 70 fps but don't notice any difference.

Maybe this is just a problem with my system? I can provide more information about it if it helps.
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
henemly
asdf

This is normal behavior I think.
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
JohnWho
Registered

Now that you mention it, I tried it on my notebook PC and it does the same thing on it.

Is this something that will be corrected in the final release?
Old 09-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

How big is the png file ? The bigger the file the more time it takes to load and hence the pause . People have reported this problem before with jpegs or bmps , which are relatively big . I have a modest laptop and with small png files don't have a problem . Can you resize the file , or use a different smaller one and let us know if it makes a difference ? With a frame rate of 140 , it sounds like your computer is more than capable of running the aquarium .
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

When the Aquarium runs, it can load the logos and do whatever conversion is necessary to convert the PNG into whatever internal format the Aquarium uses. That way there is no pause when the logo changes.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
JohnWho
Registered

Thumbs Up

Originally posted by Nicki:
How big is the png file ? The bigger the file the more time it takes to load and hence the pause .  
Yep, that did it, thanks.

I didn't want to waste a ton of time trying things, especially since I had already resized it from 1024 x 1024 to 512 x 512 and it still caused the slight delay.

At 256 x 256 it seems seamless (can I say that?).

BTW - how do I re-set the frame rate to whatever the program defaults to?

On both of my systems I've dropped it down to about 70 fps. I'm just curious to see what the default was. I remember the 140 number, but am not sure that was where it started or just one of the levels I went through.

In any case, thanks for the help.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

Glad to be able to help JohnWho . The default frame rate is whatever you get with 'sleep' set to 10 , however most people think that a frame rate of 50 - 60 is the best quality to cpu time trade off .

( Pressing s while the screensaver is running brings up the stats and the up/down keys change the sleep time - I mention this just to be complete )
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

256 x 256 is the native size. Anything else has to be scaled first. So good choice.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
JohnWho
Registered

OK -

thanks for all the help.

Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows