Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 11-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #41
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #42
rps
Registered

>>You might just have to throw it away and go with a permanent title bar, Jim.

I've been following this thread, and now I've spent some time playing with this in Vista, and I have some comments and a suggestion:

comment: the size of the window without the title bar is not the issue; Jim IS calculating the size of the title bar correctly, and the size of the window sans title bar is the correct size and in the correct position (as near as I can tell without measuring it.) Instead, the problem seems to have something to do with Vista itself, probably forcing the window to repaint itself when the title bar is removed (before the window has been resized and repositioned). A possible way to deal with this would be to set a flag "changingWindow" before removing the title bar, and then clearing it only after the window has been resized. You can intercept any window paint messages, and ignore them if this flag is set. (Or having the drawing code just not paint anything if the flag is set.)

suggestion: I think the better interface option (IMHO) would be to dispense with the timer-based hiding/showing of the title bar; instead, I would show the title bar if MA3 has the focus, and hide the title bar when the application loses the focus.

suggestion 2: An alternative is to explicitly specify in the program settings whether MA3 should have a title bar in windowed mode. (A checkbox, default unchecked, for example: "[ ] Do not display title bar in windowed mode." I've written applications before that do not have a title bar, and I allow them to be moved by dragging the window as a whole. (Mouse down anywhere in the window, drag and move the window, and release.) As for the other functions available from the title bar, they could made available via a right-click pop-up window. Intuitively, if I have a window with no title bar, and no buttons, and I want to do anything with it (such as close/maximize it), my first instinct is to right-click, and see if I get a pop-up window.) This approach works well (I think) for both novice and experienced users, and should help simplify the code quite a bit (by eliminating all of the timing stuff.)

~Ralph S.
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:09 PM   #43
clifdene
Registered

Judging by the response to date not many have any problems with the Title Bar. It would be a pity if it was to be "thrown away" or "made permanent".
clifdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #44
Bob
Registered

Maybe not many have reported the problem here, but for those who do have the title bar blink/jump problem is it serious.

I would bet this would affect more people than the dual monitor problems. Especially when the Aquaium is released to the general public.

Bob
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #45
cjmaddy
Registered

There is no 'Dual-Monitor' problem, as such. - Only with Jim's desire to include a bezel width adjustment, to provide a more realistic fish movement from one screen to the other. - MA has been on multi displays for years, I can't see MA3 being any different.

As I see it, this "blink/jump" is only associated with Vista! - Which from what I have read, does not come as a surprise.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #46
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by clifdene:
Judging by the response to date not many have any problems with the Title Bar. It would be a pity if it was to be "thrown away" or "made permanent".  
Some of us don't like (and therefore never use) windowed mode. You could conclude that we "don't have problems with the title bar".

It's rather likely that the REASON that some of us don't like the windowed mode, is because of the "title bar problem". Annoying, so just don't use it, and forget about it.

Some of us don't care enough about windowed mode to be following this thread, so from those folks there wouldn't be a "response to date".

Whether the "response" data is important, probably depends on your viewpoint.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #47
Bob
Registered

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
There is no 'Dual-Monitor' problem, as such. - Only with Jim's desire to include a bezel width adjustment, to provide a more realistic fish movement from one screen to the other. - MA has been on multi displays for years, I can't see MA3 being any different.

As I see it, this "blink/jump" is only associated with Vista! - Which from what I have read, does not come as a surprise.  
Sorry I wasn't precise enough with my "dual monitor problem" reference. Of course the bezel width adjustment that Jim is fighting with is only associated with dual (or multi) monitors.

Bob
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:05 AM   #48
kona001
New Husband and new Aquarium

Originally posted by cjmaddy:

How do I get the bezel adjustment to work with the latest Beta? Was it taken out?
"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail"-W2
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #49
Wizwad
Only me...

Yep. There was too much weird stuff going on with it.

Though now that the multimonitor screen positioning has been sorted out, maybe it would be worth another try?
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:07 AM   #50
cjmaddy
Registered

Yes! - Unfortunately, it was back-to-the-drawing-board on that one!
It's discussed a little here... https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...zel#post107182
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #51
Wizwad
Only me...

Ah yes, I remember now. The deconstructionist approach to screen scenes!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows