Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
b737
Registered

Little wide-Screen Clarification Please

Howdy folks. I have been reading the threads in regards to having a full screen aquarium instead of panning.

Just a little confused on the capabilities of MA3 in this regard. So, Ill just mention what I would like to do; and you folks could tell me how or if it is doable?

Basically, I have envisioned setting up a screen display on the wall using networking and MA3. Ie something like a plasma screen or similiar that would be hanging on the living room wall to resemble a real marine aquarium.

Just don't have the time or resources for a real marine aquarium at this time. I fly for an airline, so traveling alot.

So, any light shed on my idea, greatly appreciated.

Jim, love what you have done with MA3 thus far.

I do echo some other folks that have mentioned varying sizes in the future. Especially if I was using a full screen sized tank...spread things around a little.

You guys are great with your assistance. Thank You.

Best,
David
b737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:04 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

So you're asking for a narrow strip of Aquarium, with black bars on the top and bottom? That would almost certainly burn-in on a Plasma display.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

David,

Plasma screens are extremely susceptible to burn-in. If you had a scene with any part that wasn't moving and you left it for awhile you would ruin that tv.

The way Jim has it now where it moves is the absolute best way for it to be in that regard.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #4
rctneil
Registered

what about problems on multi monitor setups where you can see all the tank that scrolling is not necessary. How is burn in solved there!
rctneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
Rick Simon
Registered

3 Highscores

Originally posted by rctneil:
what about problems on multi monitor setups where you can see all the tank that scrolling is not necessary. How is burn in solved there!  
It's not. That's why, hopefully, somewhere on Jim's list of future updates is the reintroduction of light cycling (ala MA2.6).
Rick Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

That's only if you are using Plasma where it is a real concern.

Plasma is on its way out for many reasons including burn-in and power consumption.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

While you can suffer from "Image Persistance" on LCDs, it is generally more rare and takes allot more to cause it. It also can in general terms be corrected. Everyone is more used to the term "Burn In" concerning CRT's, where it is a real concern, this same problem applies to Plasma tv sets.

As far as LCD's go: try these items if you have any IP:

1. Turn off the monitor for extended periods of time. It can be as little as several hours or it could be as long as several days.
  2. Use a screen saver with a rotating image and run it for extended periods of time. The rotating color palette should help remove the persistent image but it could take a long time.
  3. Run the screen with a single solid color or bright white for an extended period of time. This will cause all of the crystals to be reset at a single color setting and should hopefully erase any previous image persistence.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
Bob
Registered

Originally posted by b737:
I have been reading the threads in regards to having a full screen aquarium instead of panning.  
You don't have to have the aquarium pan. Uncheck Auto Pan in program settings. Then just slide ithe aquarium right or left (use the arrow keys) to pick the portion of the aquarium you want to see. (Note burn-in warnings above.)

Or in program settings just set the pan speed to the slowest. I wouldn't be surprised that you would find the pan speed OK for your planned use. This solves the burn-in problem and enhances the 3-D effect.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Bob:
You don't have to have the aquarium pan. Uncheck Auto Pan in program settings. Then just slide ithe aquarium right or left (use the arrow keys) to pick the portion of the aquarium you want to see. (Note burn-in warnings above.)

Or in program settings just set the pan speed to the slowest. I wouldn't be surprised that you would find the pan speed OK for your planned use. This solves the burn-in problem and enhances the 3-D effect.  
Just so B737 (SWA Pilot?) will be clear on this - if you uncheck Auto Pan, your fish will swim "out of sight" at the sides of the simulation. I don't personally find that to be a drawback, but it's worth mentioning.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
cjmaddy
Registered

We can ALL view whatever width aquarium our screen, (or number of screens), will allow. - And we have the option to pan or not pan, and display which ever section we choose if we decide to lock the panning.

As I have said elsewhere....
I think that we should accept that MA3 is a VERY wide tank, and if we want to see the whole of it on one screen, then we have to have a very much reduced-height window. - If a version with black at the top and bottom, (a la MA2.6), becomes available, then fine for those who do not like making the necessary shape window. - But to distort the image in any way, in order to fit the full height of a single screen, is ridiculous IMO.

I quite like seeing the population change slightly as some fish swim off screen, - and others swim back on! - it all seems quite natural to me.

But I do believe that there are those who seriously think you can fit a quart into a pint pot!

Last edited by cjmaddy; 06-08-2009 at 02:35 AM.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
Dale
Banned

None of my seven systems has more than one monitor.

I am not bothered by the panning motion, nor by the fact that I can only see about 1/3 of my selected fish at any one time.

However, I do understand and respect that others are bothered by one or both of those effects.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

There is a program which shows the whole tank on a single monitor - MA2.6. It will continue to be available. MA3 was created for people who wanted more, a bigger Universe than what they can see. I'm a single-monitor person - it's a big hassle for me to set up two monitors for testing. I use scrolling. It's the only way of seeing the 3D nature of the background, with foreground objects going by much faster than more distant objects. If the camera was static, it might as well be a 2D scene. If I had known people would be complaining about it, I could have saved several years of development.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by harris:
Addendum: Hey, this is fun - now I see why the Dale/cjmaddy tit-for-tat saga continues.  
Especially when both of us agree to disagree with you?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #14
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Dale:
I'm sure you know that feeling by now.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #15
b737
Registered

Thanks for the info. folks.

Appreciate the feedback. I jsut mentioned plasma. That wasn't necessarly the solution.

Jim, In actuality, no I did not want the black bars. I would like the aquarium to fill the whole screen. Be it through an LCD monitor etc.

I jsut wanted this hanging on my wall to look like a marine aquarium inmy home, with out all the muss and fuss.

So, that the entire full length of the aquarium would show on screen. Panning side to side, would look a little strange I think.

I jsut wnated to create a virual aquarium. With your genious skills it would have looked most realistic i feel.

Doesn't sound like mu ideal will be feasible right now. However, I can still enjoy this masterpiece on my 22" LCD monitor in the office.

Thanks again, for a wonderful product.

Thanks to ALL of you, for your invaluable feedback.

To answer, yes I fly for Southwest.

Best,
David
b737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #16
Wizwad
Only me...

Sure you can achieve that, David - you just need a couple of widescreen monitors side by side on your wall. If sizing the aquarium makes it such that you can see the background (hopefully not much by now), just create a suitable background of your choice that fills in the gaps, hide the toolbar, start the application and enjoy!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #17
Jim Sachs
Developer

I just don't understand how you can get 3 screens of width on one screen without shrinking the image vertically. Otherwise, you have to squish the image into preposterous proportions like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MA3Wide.jpg (49.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg MA3Squish.jpg (24.8 KB, 32 views)
Jim Sachs
Old 06-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #18
harris
Registered

Originally posted by Dale:
Dale,

I am honored to be the one that got you and Cliff to agree on something.

Last edited by harris; 06-08-2009 at 11:16 AM.
harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #19
Jim Sachs
Developer

Even if I put the Anamorphic Factor back in, it would not be to intentionally create a letterbox effect. If fact the whole reason for that function in MA2.6 was to stretch the image to fit the monitor and REMOVE any black bars caused by image-size/resolution conflicts.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Even if I put the Anamorphic Factor back in, it would not be to intentionally create a letterbox effect. If fact the whole reason for that function in MA2.6 was to stretch the image to fit the monitor and REMOVE any black bars caused by image-size/resolution conflicts.  
Not a recommendation/suggestion -- but it would be possible to stretch the water at the top upward 3x. Of course, the fish would only inhabit the lower third of the tank. And the bubbles would be an issue.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows