Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Sharks: Terrors of the Deep
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
bugsymcd24
PC Professional

Beta Testing sugestion...

I would like to make a sugestion for beta testing if I may, I do beta testing for another company, (games, not screen savers), but this company has a seperate beta board in which we had to sign a contract and send in I.D. proof (no compensation paid, and no guarentee to get a finished copy) and basically swore we would not discuss or share what was being tested to anyone. But as test versions are posted people reply with what works and what does not, and why on thier type of machine. I think that this could work for this group as well, to get a wider range of different machine set ups and types to work out the most bugs to put out the best product release the first time, instead of ( I know this isn't always the case) putting something out that has to be reworked to work for all.

Not just for Sharks, but for all the screen savers....

as I said this just a sugestion..that could work.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

What benefit would such draconian measures give?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
Old 03-07-2004, 09:01 AM   #3
bugsymcd24
PC Professional

Draconian? That's pretty insulting.... i thought it was pretty clear..

it would help provide a cleaner bug free product on a wider aray of machines.... Lord it was just a sugestion....
Old 03-07-2004, 10:21 AM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

I think what Morgan is asking is what would be gained by making our Beta Boards so strict (contracts, photo ID's, etc.), instead of rather open and free as they are now? We don't mind at all if Beta Testers discuss the program with others, since we do no advertising.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Old 03-07-2004, 01:18 PM   #5
bugsymcd24
PC Professional

ok ok..that isn't what was intended, I did not mean for the exact same thing to happen, ..... never mind, the whole idea just flew over y'alls head, I wil just sit back and watch and wait like every one else i guess.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:18 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

If you're hinting that you'd like to join the Beta Test forums, talk to Morgan.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Old 03-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #7
bugsymcd24
PC Professional

that really wasn't it..just please disregaurd..my appologies
Old 03-07-2004, 11:34 PM   #8
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

ok ok..that isn't what was intended, I did not mean for the exact same thing to happen, ..... never mind, the whole idea just flew over y'alls head, I will just sit back and watch and wait like every one else i guess.
Well that was a little harsh don't you think? While I can't speak for everyone else, I don't believe it flew over my head. I used to do the same thing you're doing at that game company and later served as a test department manager, so I'm pretty sure I might have an idea of where you're coming from. Although it did sound pretty clear as to what you were getting at so I think most of us here understood.

Anyway, it sounds like you're suggesting a more structured approach to beta testing than we do here. Things like the signing of those "contracts" as you referred to them (actually called NDAs aka Non Disclosure Agreements), the use of beta test reports with the PC or game console's specs, recording everything on VHS for visual reference, logging and tracking bugs via a database (local to you're the company or shared online if you're working with a publisher), etc, etc, etc.

Sure our methods on this board are rather loose by comparison, but only because it works fine for the development staff and because they haven't expressed a need for that type of structure as of yet. Now if Jim and/or Prolific should at some point feel the need to request that we do so, then I doubt that would be a problem with the testers. Since Jim has been in this industry a very long time and Prolific knows their stuff too, I'm not concerned and am more than happy to work within their guidelines.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...

Last edited by Digital Lungfish; 03-08-2004 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:29 AM   #9
Socrates
Sage

Some of the methods mentioned would mean there has to be more in it than just a $20 license. Not to be ungrateful, but if beta testing is anything more than using a program a lot and reporting the bugs you find quicly an easily, it turns into a part time job real fast.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Old 03-08-2004, 01:25 AM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'm going to close this thread rather than throw bugsymcd24 into the spotlight. I wish I understood what he meant. I thought we were fairly reasonable guys here on the forum (ok, maybe not Cliff ) but I think since he's decided to stop talking about a topic he started, I'll just close this thread.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
Closed Thread
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Sharks: Terrors of the Deep